โ€‹ ๐ŸŽผ๐ŸŽถ โ€‹โ€‹Summer Recording Challenge - Blues / Open Mic โ€‹ ๐ŸŽ™๏ธ๐ŸŽธ July - September 2021

• Member ID:  157
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Doug,

The best straight-up advice I've received when usingย a metronome is to NOT CHASE THE CLICKS. ย It is a tool to MEASURE time...not much else. ย Jason Isbell's lyric in Last of My Kind cites 'everyone else claps on the 1 and the 3' makes me appreciate the backbeat (often snare) falling on the 2 and the 4. ย :-0

As for live, a recent story surrounding the passing of Charlie Watts, recalled Keith Richards intentionally altering the beat during a song, only to be amazed how quickly Charlie got the beat back under control. ย Richards always claimed he had worked with one of the best, in Charlie, when it came to keeping everyone on the beat and it made his life on stage so much easier. ย IMHO, ย if everyone is not synced on the beat, an overall 'disjointed feeling' is generated, whether it is live or recorded, and the listener is left feeling uncomfortable.ย 

Bryan

Edited by Plantsman13
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  101
  • Device:  iPhone

5 hours ago, Plantsman13 said:

@Wim VD1ย ย D. Hamburger and Eric Skye haveย posted You Tube presentations, in the past, focusing on using a metronome focusing on the 2 & 4 to maximize groove. ย E. Skye's was in a 30 Day Challenge format (very casual and chock full of great ideas each day) and D. Hamburger was in a Fretboard Confidential presentation. ย Both sources are free.

Bryan

Bryan,

I retrieved both video's. Here are the links for all whoย are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEkKNW6R3U&t=479s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOa0vfv5FY

Just tried to play "Right or Ronk" focusing on the 2&4 using the metronome at half speed. Not easy to start, but it works once I'm locked in.

I'll practice some more days and record it again.

Thanks for this great info. I definitely learned something today ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

Wim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1