• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

I think I have posted on here about my next guitar probably is going to be a PRS McCarty 594.  But, if I look at my guitar stable, where I have a recognizable deficiency is in the acoustic side.  I'm an electric guy first and I'm fortunate I've got a handful of nice electric guitars that reflect that.  But, if I post a NGD thread anytime soon, it really should be for an acoustic.

Should that happen, until now, I have always known that thread would announce a new Martin 000-EC.  I had the opportunity to play one at a local store here and fell in love.  But recently I watched a guy with Alamo Guitars discuss the Martin 000-15M series.  He said something to the effect it is not just the best value in the Martin line but maybe the best value of any acoustic guitar out there right now. He also raved about the mahogany for blues and how all the old blues guys played 000 size mahogany guitars. When I think about those guys and their guitars, he's right! 000 or auditorium size mahogany guitars!  Sweetwater also says "the 000-15M may be one of the best values you'll find".

There is also a, the term is "artist clinician for C.F. Martin Guitar & Co", named Corey Congilio that I actually met at a "road show" for Martin here in Omaha. (He has also been a guest clinician for Steve at Guitar Gathering and quite a few of us here have purchased his TrueFire courses.) He is the one that had largely talked me into the Clapton.  But he also, on a YT video about Martin guitars, raved about the 15M both for the tone of the mahogany for acoustic blues and the value.

So.........what say you Martin experts?  Anyone here, hopefully, familiar with both the EC and the 15M series?  To be clear, I'm not saying the 15M is my fallback.  It seems like it is a great guitar in its own right.  If not, I'm in a position to go forward with the EC.  But if the 15M will serve me well for blues I can take the difference and apply it to the PRS electric soon.  (yeah, I've got a problem 😉)

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

• Member ID:  85
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  13
  • Device:  Macintosh

Tough choice since both are different.  It seems you are leaning toward the EC.  I have experience with a 000-15, 000-28, 00-15 and 00-18.  Perhaps you “need” both to round out your guitarsenal 🙃😉

• Haha 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184

Strings, thanks!  But no, I'm not.  I was but I am now, I think, ever so slightly, leaning towards the 000-15M.  I think! 🙃

But I have to say.  Whenever someone posts an "either/or" post asking for guitar purchase advice, some, usually towards the end of the thread, says, "Get both!"   But first response?!?!  Great job!  And "guitarsenal".  I love it.

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

Sounds like you might regret not getting the EC. You can always pick up a 000-15M.

• Member ID:  33
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959

I'm no Martin expert, but I've played both of those models in the past. For my taste, I'd go with the EC. That said, I wouldn't buy either without playing it first.

• Like 1

@Mike Hoodenpyle I would love to be able to do that.  And I've posted this question in a couple forums and been told that.  But there is neither of them in a shop locally.  

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  355
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

I'd get the Clapton sunburst and not have any second thoughts. I have the D15 all mahogany as my first Martin and its not in the same class as the standard or the artist models. Id say its more entry level and the 000-15m will be a good solid guitar but you will end  buying 2, that and a Clapton.

I'd call Maury of Maurys guitars and look at his vids and demos. He will treat you right. I don't think you have to play them. Some will disagree but never bothered me. The Clapton's are in short supply these days. I do think the artist signature guitars are really nice. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @Tom M.  And to all of you that made suggestions.  As you know, Tom,  from our off-line conversation I went with a Martin M-36.  I went back to my favorite local store and got to play it.  I'll start a NGD thread very shortly.

Thanks all.

• Like 3