• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  10
  • Device:  Windows

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at some budget acoustic guitars (under 1000) and was wondering what your views were on whether laminate is preferable to solid wood or vice versa within a similar price range. Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules by getting specific but as an example, I mean like Fender Newporter Player (Spruce top and Mahogany Back and sides) vs a martin OMC-X1E (Made with high pressure laminate).

Nairon

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

Solid wood top is the standard. All solid wood is even better. The top is the most important part in the acoustic guitar.

Mostly cheap guitars will be all laminate. They aren't always terrible, but they will not improve with age and lose value rapidly. A laminated body with a solid top is common on less expensive, but not cheap guitars. 

Fender makes great electric guitars, but I am not impressed with most Fender acoustic guitars. 

Martin and Taylor dominate the acoustic guitar business and they make great guitars. You will find they both sell guitars with solid tops and laminated bodies. Martin also uses a laminated material on some of its guitar necks, and fretboards. 

For a few dollars more you can have a Taylor or Martin with a solid top. 

• Member ID:  157
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Nairon,

Randy makes some very good points in answering your question.  I have evolved to solid wood guitars; however, there are ' upper entry' level guitars being offered today that are very good as compared to a few years back.  Laminated quitars appear louder from the start, but they won't break-in with age.  I would look for playability, quality of construction,  presence of a truss rod, and any buyer reviews over time ( I have played some all wood guitars that should have served as kindling).   Does the guitar feel good in your hands, play smoothly, have good intonation, have a straight neck, and is adjustable for tweaking to maximize the quality of music the two of you can make?  And truth be told, there will always be a beautiful guitar on the horizon with its 'Sirens' Call'! 😎

Bryan

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

Nairon,

I'll second what Randy and Plantsman13 have said.    Solid wood guitars are generally viewed as superior, although the sound and playablility ultimately depend on the type and quality of wood used, the quality of construction and numerous other factors.    Lower priced guitars are getting better and many lower priced guitars these days feature at least a solid top and some such as Epiphone's new Inspired by Gibson line advertise all solid wood.    My "nice" guitar is all solid mahogany with a Spruce top and it certainly has a great sound.   But the guitar that I generally grab for practice and general "noodling" is my first student guitar - a Fender CD-60 with all laminate construction.    Take Plantsman's advice and make sure whatever guitar you choose is one you enjoy playing and suites the style of music you want to play,  has a decent setup to make it more playable and fits your budget.   And yes, if you have a choice of solid wood or laminate - I'd go solid.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

Folks ahead of me provided the info you need to help inform your decision.  

I'll add that your intended use for the guitar matters as well.  An all laminate guitar may be just the ticket if you are buying an instrument to take camping, boating, road trips or hauling on airlines, etc.  Yeah, it likely won't sound as good as a solid wood guitar, but it will sound better than solid wood guitar that gets smashed to toothpicks or warped like pretzel from wet , cold and heat.

For a number one acoustic, I'd aim for solid wood model if I could, but I have a small body solid laminate that I take on work travel and out on our sailboat.  Its built like a tank with a laminate neck and body so I don't have to worry too much about it.  I think I could almost drive nails with it and it sounds pretty good under the stars on my sailboat.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  2,655
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks for the great advice guys. Lots to think about. 

@Plantsman13 I'll have to go down to the music store and try a few solid tops. See if I get that "Sirens Call".

• Like 3

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

@Nairon You have received some just great advice and I applaud everything that has been said.  @Six String, makes such a great point about considering your use.  In the video I am going to link below the presenter takes a pick to the back of the Martin laminate to demonstrate how resistant it is. And certainly you are not breaking any rules  "by getting specific ".  We do it all the time.

This video may be helpful as it is talking about guitars mostly in your price range.  It is, admittedly, all about Martins, but you did mention Martin in your OP.  It's a little over your budget but I think it is the Martin 15 Series he calls "not just the best value in the Martin line-up but maybe the best values in an acoustic guitar, period".    I have been thinking very seriously about a Martin 000-EC.  But I am now, thanks to this guy about the 15 M.   I want to play acoustic blues and he raves about the tone of the mahogany for blues.  And I would save a lot of money,

We are all hoping to see a NGD post from you soon!  Let us know how the shopping goes!

• Like 1