• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1

I was wondering if anybody else is confused on Blackbird in Session 3 of Learn and Master Fingerstyle.  On the DVD Steve shows the the patter with a G on A string, Bat 12 th Fret on B string and open G.  While playing the song it looks like he play the first measure and then goes to that position and does thumb with 2 then, 1,2, thumb, 2,1.  That part seems straightforward but the notation says to go same G on A string and B on high E string, then open G.

The pattern involving G on A string, B at 12th fret and open G does not come in until the verse.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  121
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi @cdevaux   It's been a while since I went through that part of the Fingerstyle course so I don't recall exactly what Steve demonstrated on the DVD.   But I recall a few instances in the course where the tab differs a bit from what Steve plays on the DVD - I think the tabs were created later on.  I had a lesson with Steve when I was going through this song, and he said that basically either fingering is correct, but playing the B at the 12th fret allows you to keep the same finger shape as in the first measure - all you do is slide up to the 12th fret.   To me that fingering was much easier than trying to play the B at the 7th fret E string.    The picking pattern remains the same.   His other advice for this song is to really focus first on playing the main chords of the song first, and not get hung up on trying to play that lick.

• Member ID:  1,516
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you.  That approach does seem much easier.  Once you do that I think the song really is pretty easy to play.