• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  10
  • Device:  Windows

Hi everyone,

I'm on Session 4 of the L&M series. Practising the Minuet in C. Anyway I recorded myself playing today (using my mobile phone) and one of the things I noticed is that when I make some transitions from one note to the next, there is a screech on the string. I'm assuming that its my fingers dragging over the strings as I transition. Is that something that is common for acoustic guitar or is it something i need to work on in my technique. Cant seem to stop the screeching when I'm playing at normal speed.

Nairon

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

4 hours ago, Nairon said:

Hi everyone,

I'm on Session 4 of the L&M series. Practising the Minuet in C. Anyway I recorded myself playing today (using my mobile phone) and one of the things I noticed is that when I make some transitions from one note to the next, there is a screech on the string. I'm assuming that its my fingers dragging over the strings as I transition. Is that something that is common for acoustic guitar or is it something i need to work on in my technique. Cant seem to stop the screeching when I'm playing at normal speed.

Nairon

@Nairon  This is really common, especially while playing acoustic guitar. It's called "String Noise". Yes, it is your fingers dragging along the strings as you change chords or notes. Some find it acceptable to a degree; others like me don't really like it. If you wish to reduce or eliminate it, there are a couple of things you can do. 1) Work on your technique. Don't drag your fingers along the strings, but lift them just ever so slightly, while changing chords or notes. 2) Try some coated guitar strings like Elixir Nanoweb or Elixir Polyweb, which are meant to reduce this noise.  3) If you're playing an electric you could try Flatwound Strings, which virtually eliminate noise. They are a specialty item though, meant for Jazz or Blues.

Mostly, it's technique though. Just work on it.

• Member ID:  2,655
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks Neil. I guess I'll have to put in some more time with the finger exercises. Didn't know about the nanoweb strings. I'll look for them at the local music store for sure next time I go in.

• Like 1