What is your favorite Practice Electric Guitar Amplifier and Guitar to match with it.

• Member ID:  2,631
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I had to end up selling my "64 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue do to the sheer weight of it.  I have two plates, six rods and a Spinal Chord Stimulator in my back.  The little Yamaha THR10 that i am using for now just does not have the sound i want my 2015 Gibson ES-335/figured 390 neck to sound.  I loved the way my Guitar sounded with the Fender and now wished I kept it and put it on a wheel kit.  Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you for your input and nice criticism.

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

Hi @SRV I looked for a really nice tube amp to match up with my ES335 that gave me a clean clear and warm sound. I had to be good at lower "practice " volume and yet possibly loud enough for a small gig, should I go that way. After much consideration and many comparisons I settled on a Fender FSR '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue, with the 12" Cannabis Rex speaker... https://www.long-mcquade.com/71239/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Fender-Musical-Instruments/FSR-65-Princeton-Rev-Tweed-w-12---Cannabis-Rex-Speaker.htm

It's amazing... all I wanted and more. And a perfect match for my ES335, as well as my other guitars. IF you can try one, or find one to buy, I wouldn't hesitate on it. 

The other simpler smaller (and half the price) amp I liked was the Fender Pro Junior https://www.long-mcquade.com/98823/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Pro-Junior-IV-15W-1x10-Tube-Combo-Amp---Lacquered-Tweed.htm

The Princeton isn't the lightest amp if weight is a consideration for you... the Pro Junior may be the better and less expensive option. You could use Reverb pedals with it instead if you wished.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16
  • Device:  Macintosh

The PRR mentioned above is absolutely a great amp.  If the volume of your DRR wasn't a problem the PRR might be a good downsize for you.

If you want super light, and aren't hard over on wanting to stick with a tube amp, the Boss Katana's are very light and surprisingly versatile.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Hi @SRV I looked for a really nice tube amp to match up with my ES335 that gave me a clean clear and warm sound. I had to be good at lower "practice " volume and yet possibly loud enough for a small gig, should I go that way. After much consideration and many comparisons I settled on a Fender FSR '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue, with the 12" Cannabis Rex speaker... https://www.long-mcquade.com/71239/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Fender-Musical-Instruments/FSR-65-Princeton-Rev-Tweed-w-12---Cannabis-Rex-Speaker.htm

It's amazing... all I wanted and more. And a perfect match for my ES335, as well as my other guitars. IF you can try one, or find one to buy, I wouldn't hesitate on it. 

The other simpler smaller (and half the price) amp I liked was the Fender Pro Junior https://www.long-mcquade.com/98823/Guitars/Guitar-Amps/Fender-Musical-Instruments/Pro-Junior-IV-15W-1x10-Tube-Combo-Amp---Lacquered-Tweed.htm

The Princeton isn't the lightest amp if weight is a consideration for you... the Pro Junior may be the better and less expensive option. You could use Reverb pedals with it instead if you wished.

I hope this helps.

Neil335

13 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

I hope this helps.

Neil335,

I saw that amp and I looked at the specs and I think the Princeton would be a great fit for me.  Now time for the hunt.  Thank you for input.  You to Six Strings Thank you for your input as well!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

The one amp I wish I had purchased along the gear acquisition way, was the Princeton Reverb. A bandmate has one....very, very versatile , clean or driven. I can certainly empathize with your spinal condition. SRV. I am doing everything I can to prevent, forestall a second surgery and spinal fusion. Best of wishes.

Greg

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, NeilES335 said:

I hope this helps.

Neil yes it helped.  Im going to Guitar Center and listen to 

On 3/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, NeilES335 said:

I hope this helps.

I saw that FSR NeilES335 and looking to ordering one now but still need wheel Kit.  Thanks for everyones input.  Ya'll Rock

SRV

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SRV said:

I saw that FSR NeilES335 and looking to ordering one now but still need wheel Kit.  Thanks for everyones input.  Ya'll Rock

SRV

That's great... you won't be disappointed. I forgot to mention, another amp. IF you're in a band or gig setting and need something a bit more powerful, the Fender Twin Reverb is a very well respected amp, used by professionals world wide.

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, NeilES335 said:

That's great... you won't be disappointed. I forgot to mention, another amp. IF you're in a band or gig setting and need something a bit more powerful, the Fender Twin Reverb is a very well respected amp, used by professionals world wide.

I pulled the trigger on the same amp NeilES335 on the same amp.  Really do like it.  Unfortunately I am having to hold off until I have 2 possibly 3 surgeries now that i have had my Covid Vaccine. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, SRV said:

I pulled the trigger on the same amp NeilES335 on the same amp.  Really do like it.  Unfortunately I am having to hold off until I have 2 possibly 3 surgeries now that i have had my Covid Vaccine. 

Congrats...enjoy👍

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

@SRV great amp. it does what your fingers tell it to do..

it's not a digital Swiss army knife.. great tone from your fingers

I would have bought one if I could off load my Traynor for a good price

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

Craig, I know that you "pulled the trigger" but perhaps for anyone else looking this will be relevant.   He starts off saying for home use it has to be less than 15 watts.  Then demos some that are 22 watts or more.  But those all have some form of attenuation.

Rhett Shull's Best Tube Guitar Amps for home Use:

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 11:18 AM, matonanjin said:

Craig, I know that you "pulled the trigger" but perhaps for anyone else looking this will be relevant.   He starts off saying for home use it has to be less than 15 watts.  Then demos some that are 22 watts or more.  But those all have some form of attenuation.

Shull makes good videos. however I'd point out that several of the amps he recommends are ' boutique 'x amps, (some I've not heard of before) that you may have trouble finding at your local music store (certainly in Canada anyway).

The one I do agree with is the Fender Blues Jr. and of course I'd add the Princeton Reverb,  which are both widely available. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  2,008
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9

Great topic and great video but I have NO idea why you are hung up on tube amps. I use two widely-available Fender amps, the Mustang LT-25 and the Mustang GTX 50 for practice at home.  The LT-25 is extremely small, single 8" and has full modeling capabilities that will give you any tube amp sound you want. The GTX 50 is even more versatile and has about twice the capabilities and a 12" speaker. Both have full Fender Tone (cloud app available from Fender) capabilities, both include great built-in tuners, USB, editable effects and the larger unit includes a looper if you get the footswitch. 

I'm old and I just love tubes, but the sound out of these two amplifiers, the light weight, and compact size all won me over. The GTX 50 can definitely be used for live performance as well unless you are into loud heavy metal. The LT-25 makes a great little jazz amp, and will fit nicely into a small carry-on suitcase for air travel, as I did before the damn pandemic ruined everything. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,568
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

5 hours ago, Las Vegas Steve said:

Great topic and great video but I have NO idea why you are hung up on tube amps. I use two widely-available Fender amps, the Mustang LT-25 and the Mustang GTX 50 for practice at home.  The LT-25 is extremely small, single 8" and has full modeling capabilities that will give you any tube amp sound you want. The GTX 50 is even more versatile and has about twice the capabilities and a 12" speaker. Both have full Fender Tone (cloud app available from Fender) capabilities, both include great built-in tuners, USB, editable effects and the larger unit includes a looper if you get the footswitch. 

I'm old and I just love tubes, but the sound out of these two amplifiers, the light weight, and compact size all won me over. The GTX 50 can definitely be used for live performance as well unless you are into loud heavy metal. The LT-25 makes a great little jazz amp, and will fit nicely into a small carry-on suitcase for air travel, as I did before the damn pandemic ruined everything. 

I'm surprised that digital amps didn't come up, especially for someone with such back problems.

If you want the sound, look, feel and features of the original Fender amps, then the Tone Master series do exactly that with a fraction of the weight.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  53
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/17/1966

I've tried a Katana, Blackstar HT-1r , Fender Mustang and several other small amps but I keep returning to Line6. 

I find that having my sounds instantly available and sounding the same at any volume very convenient. I recently traded my beloved old trusty Pod XT Pro for a Pod HD pro x and discovered that modelling has come a very long way in recent years. 

So .. POD HD Pro x into a Palmer Macht 402 power amp then to a 1x12 cab.

as for guitars ...could be any of the 14 my partner and I own between us but the 335 is getting a lot of love these days :) 

Rig.jpg

guitars.jpg

Edited by Ice9
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Yep,  My Helix seems to have cured my chronic Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  Line 6 keeps doing releases that add new amps and pedals to the already overwhelming choices.  I was pretty satisfied with what was in my Helix so I was several updates behind until recently, and now there is yet another update out that adds an Orange Rockerverb Amp, 5 New pedals and also increases the oversample rate which apparently improves the sound on everything. Since I sold an Orange Dual Terror to help fund my Helix, I'm excited to download this update and check out probably the 6th or 7th new amp they added since I bought the Helix, all for zero extra dollars.

Edited by Six String
  • Like 2

Yup the modeling amp "rabbit hole "

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Yup the modeling amp "rabbit hole "

but what fun it's been :)

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

@SRV great amp. it does what your fingers tell it to do..

it's not a digital Swiss army knife.. great tone from your fingers

I would have bought one if I could off load my Traynor for a good price

Eraser,  Thanks for the Kudos

On 3/15/2021 at 11:35 AM, gotto said:

The one amp I wish I had purchased along the gear acquisition way, was the Princeton Reverb. A bandmate has one....very, very versatile , clean or driven. I can certainly empathize with your spinal condition. SRV. I am doing everything I can to prevent, forestall a second surgery and spinal fusion. Best of wishes.

Greg

GOTTO Are you in Canada or The States?

On 4/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, matonanjin said:

Really appreciate the information.  I'm on the reserve list now.  Waiting on Hip Muscle Tear operations.  Hope all is well!

13 hours ago, Ice9 said:

but what fun it's been :)

just saying there is a billion presets on the modeling equipment to keep a user twinking and tweaking for a long time .

whether is a Pod or a Kemper. Oh look a new patch.. 

I spent 2yrs learning how to build tube amps and the longest running person in LMG Session 4, as I twinked Zoso vs Malory vs Sprague capacitors. each does something slightly different in each spot. which prevents one from just playing.

something to be said for an amp with a volume knob and maybe a tone knob.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

I have two amps, a Katana 50 (65 presets) and a Mustang LT-25 (30 presets). The reality is that out of a total of 95 available presets, I only use 4. Yes, it took many hours to find the presets that suited me and yes I lost many hours of playing/practice time. The end result was achieving the sounds that I was looking for.

As Doug mentioned, the simplicity of an amp with few controls is appealing but at a higher cost and it must be the exact sound you are looking for.

Henk

• Like 1

I do the same. Once I find my 5 or 6 presets I'm pretty much done fiddling with it. If you buy a simple amp which doesn't have the sound you want then the pedal rabbit hole appears, especially if you need 3 or 4 different sounds. I can see the appeal of both and if a loud cranked tube amp was an option for me then I'd definitely be taking it. 

• Like 1