• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/13/1959
  • Device:  Windows

Would like to connect with players that have spent time with the Learn and Master Blues Guitar Course.   

I've been at it for two and a half years.  Playing all the playalongs now.  Recorded many.  Have used several supplemental materials as well.  Was hoping to start playing with others until covid hit.  

Would be great to connect with others that have been through the course to discuss the content and to help think through next steps.

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Wish I could help out. 

I keep getting sidetracked with other lessons, and playing,  never made it much into disk 3 of LMG Blues 

but I'm "re-visiting" Disk 1 again.. making sure I can learn all I can from it before moving out.. (went backwards in the Song Hits too,, working S4 in it as well)

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

8 hours ago, Cinco said:

Was hoping to start playing with others until covid hit.  

Same here, Cinco.  I wish I could help out.   Doug got further into the course than I have.  I bought it not too long after the main L&MG course.  But working on the main course I just never started the Blues one.  

And I actually did start playing with others just before Covid-19 hit.  I found 2 other guys to jam with.  It was so much fun.  We met weekly on Wednesday and I looked forward to it every week.  And, yep, then the pandemic changed everything. 

With the great news of the vaccine(s) hopefully life will be back to near normal before too long!

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101

19 hours ago, Cinco said:

Would like to connect with players that have spent time with the Learn and Master Blues Guitar Course.   

I've been at it for two and a half years.  Playing all the playalongs now.  Recorded many.  Have used several supplemental materials as well.  Was hoping to start playing with others until covid hit.  

Would be great to connect with others that have been through the course to discuss the content and to help think through next steps.

Hi, Cinco.

I did the L&M Blues Guitar Course a few years ago. After that I followed several other courses (Blues Guitar Unleashed, Classic Rock, L&M Fingerstyle). Now I now focus on Fingerstyle Blues and do TrueFire courses in that style. I am also a member of Active Melody. That site is dedicated to learning blues and country.

Always willing to exchange views on the topic.

Wim.

• Member ID:  1,475
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2

Hi Wim,

Thank you for your response.  Would you like to share ideas through this forum or email?  Very excited to connect.

Mike

14 hours ago, Cinco said:

Hi Wim,

Thank you for your response.  Would you like to share ideas through this forum or email?  Very excited to connect.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Let's use the forum so that other members can join the discussion too if they want.

Wim.

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955

Mike,

I personally felt the Blues Guitar course was the weakest link in the L&M offerings.  Four or five sessions into it, I abandoned it to try the Fingerstyle course with far happier results.  I have since migrated to Fingerstyle blues in steady bass and alternating base styles with other instructors on TruFire and membership in Fingerstlye Five.  I am far from mastering the technique, but have found far greater satisfaction in the process.  I can play something, without a band, and my spouse can actually recognize the song.  And I'm desperately trying to obtain the freedom of improvisation/arranging to break out of the entrapment of playing songs by memorizing someone else's arrangement...a bad childhood memory of piano and another John Thompson volume to overcome.

I've probably said too much already, but I admire you sticking with it for 2 1/2 years.  If others would like to discuss fingerstlye blues I would be happy to follow suit.  The Travis picking has been wonderful.

Regards,

Bryan

Prior to starting the Learn and Master Blues program, I completed the Learn and Master Guitar program, including the Song Hits (with the exception of chord melody materials in both). I believe that playing chord melody is extremely advanced and requires a targeted specialty learning objective that could take years for most.

The Learn and Master Blues program was for me a beginning and an end to my learning this genre.  For me, the middle part between the beginning and end required a considerable amount of effort and supplemental sources.  When I tried to progress from the L&M lessons to the L&M playalongs, I felt ill prepared.  To build a bridge over the gap, I used the supplemental materials detailed below.  

After spending a considerable amount of time with the additional training materials, I went back to the L&M playalongs and found that they were a great learning tool.  Now, I consider the L&M playalongs a significant part of my playing set.  I use them as is and I use them as bounce points to create my own songs.   

The supplemental resources I used follow:

• Hal Leonard Blues Guitar
  • 100 Blues Lessons - Heussenstamm and Johnson
  • The Complete Guide to Blues Guitar Compilation - Alexander
  • 12 Bar Blues Guitar - Rubin
  • Jazzin the Blues - Ganapes and Roos
  • 100 Classic Blues LIcks for Guitar - Alexander and Sklaroff
  • 12-Bar Fingerstyle Blues - Rubin

I also compiled a 1000 song blues collection on my phone and listened to on random play a good amount over the last two years.  YouTube blues band viewing was also used. 

Was ready start playing with others about a year ago, then the pandemic hit.

As a substitute, I used Studio One DAW with drums, bass, and piano software instruments to create my own band.  I create the band track within in Studio One, then play with the band.  This may seem like an aside, but it took a considerable amount of effort.  I am really happy to have the skill now.

Ready to develop from here.  Would be great to get input from others on where to go from here.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, Wim VD1 said:

Hi, Cinco.

I did the L&M Blues Guitar Course a few years ago. After that I followed several other courses (Blues Guitar Unleashed, Classic Rock, L&M Fingerstyle). Now I now focus on Fingerstyle Blues and do TrueFire courses in that style. I am also a member of Active Melody. That site is dedicated to learning blues and country.

Always willing to exchange views on the topic.

Wim.

Wim,

Active Melody is a great resource!!

Cinco

On 3/7/2021 at 3:36 PM, Cinco said:

Prior to starting the Learn and Master Blues program, I completed the Learn and Master Guitar program, including the Song Hits (with the exception of chord melody materials in both). I believe that playing chord melody is extremely advanced and requires a targeted specialty learning objective that could take years for most.

The Learn and Master Blues program was for me a beginning and an end to my learning this genre.  For me, the middle part between the beginning and end required a considerable amount of effort and supplemental sources.  When I tried to progress from the L&M lessons to the L&M playalongs, I felt ill prepared.  To build a bridge over the gap, I used the supplemental materials detailed below.  

After spending a considerable amount of time with the additional training materials, I went back to the L&M playalongs and found that they were a great learning tool.  Now, I consider the L&M playalongs a significant part of my playing set.  I use them as is and I use them as bounce points to create my own songs.   

The supplemental resources I used follow:

• Hal Leonard Blues Guitar
  • 100 Blues Lessons - Heussenstamm and Johnson
  • The Complete Guide to Blues Guitar Compilation - Alexander
  • 12 Bar Blues Guitar - Rubin
  • Jazzin the Blues - Ganapes and Roos
  • 100 Classic Blues LIcks for Guitar - Alexander and Sklaroff
  • 12-Bar Fingerstyle Blues - Rubin

I also compiled a 1000 song blues collection on my phone and listened to on random play a good amount over the last two years.  YouTube blues band viewing was also used. 

Was ready start playing with others about a year ago, then the pandemic hit.

As a substitute, I used Studio One DAW with drums, bass, and piano software instruments to create my own band.  I create the band track within in Studio One, then play with the band.  This may seem like an aside, but it took a considerable amount of effort.  I am really happy to have the skill now.

Ready to develop from here.  Would be great to get input from others on where to go from here.

Cinco, 

I am impressed with your Blues learning journey!

Like you, I also felt that I needed additional materials to complement L&M Blues Guitar.

What is giving me a clear direction in my develpment right now is learning specific songs.

So I keep certain songs in mind that I want to be able to play. At this moment, these are acoustic blues songs like "I am a Pilgrim" in Doc Watson style, "Key to the Highway" and "Hey Hey" in Big Bill Broonzy or Eric Clapton style, etc...

Then I figure out the techniques I need to master to play this type of songs, like steady bass and Travis picking, and I look for resources to do a deep dive in those techniques. In this way I found the TrueFire fingerstyle blues lessons from David Hamburger that I am now doing. They will take me months to complete. The purpose however is still to play those songs at a good enough level so I can record and share them in the end.

Wim.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

I'm relooking at Steve's LMG Blues again , hoping I've "matured" as a guitar player to get more out of it.

But like @Plantsman13 agree there isn't enough direction in it. Too much time spent with Dino on keyboard (sorry Steve)

Very well produced though, 

On Truefire I really like Jeff Mcerlain courses, and I just finished from the $5 sale at TF a David Hamburger Beginner Blues 

David Hamburger's course was pretty simple if I finished it in a short time . Only "take a way" was the last lick in E where he did a 'stanard' 5 note walk up to the chords. Sounded bluesy

Wish his course was totally like that and expanded the idea through out.

15 hours ago, Wim VD1 said:

Cinco, 

I am impressed with your Blues learning journey!

Like you, I also felt that I needed additional materials to complement L&M Blues Guitar.

What is giving me a clear direction in my develpment right now is learning specific songs.

So I keep certain songs in mind that I want to be able to play. At this moment, these are acoustic blues songs like "I am a Pilgrim" in Doc Watson style, "Key to the Highway" and "Hey Hey" in Big Bill Broonzy or Eric Clapton style, etc...

Then I figure out the techniques I need to master to play this type of songs, like steady bass and Travis picking, and I look for resources to do a deep dive in those techniques. In this way I found the TrueFire fingerstyle blues lessons from David Hamburger that I am now doing. They will take me months to complete. The purpose however is still to play those songs at a good enough level so I can record and share them in the end.

Wim.

True Fire looks like a great resource!!   Thank you sharing your approach!!

• Like 1

Doug,

I've done a number of DHamburger TF courses and feel they improved as I progressed further into them.  The degree of difficulty definitely increases.  Fretboardconfidential.com has some free lessons (and courses for pay) as well to get a taste of his style.  Even a Sweet Georgia Brown arrangement, tabbed out, I believe is available.  

Bryan

David Hamburger has Fingerstyle Blues lessons on TrueFire ranging from beginner to advanced.

His "New School Fingerstyle Blues" course is the most advanced and contains some really challenging Travis picking songs.

Wim.

• Thanks 1

@Cinco

Cinco, I want to share another breakthrough experience with you.

Over the past weeks I have spent many practice hours on Steve's free Triad lessons he did last year.

In case you are not familiar with these, here is the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFuR2K1ik5F4W6L9ha5WVvt37ZO5UDUmB

The great thing about triads is that you can use them for rhythm playing, but also for solos.

If you know where to find, all over the neck, the triads with the chord tones of the chord progression being played, then these are great anchor points for your solo.

Wim.

• Like 2

Wim and Bryan 

Do you play blues finger style on acoustic only?  

Think it is great that you found additional online resources for your training.  Wish I did sooner.  For some reason, I took off with training books.  The books were helpful with the playalong downloads, but the online instructions seems more dynamic.  Looking forward to continue to learn with the resources you suggested.  Thank you!!

@Cinco  I play mostly Acoustic finger style blues in standard tuning or Dropped D.  Wlm is correct with the Triad lessons of Steve for helping to open up the neck movement from open position to accent the melody.  A focus for me currently, is to 're-learn' my pentatonic boxes in terms of position name, rather than just the pattern.  I find it difficult to follow instruction when talk of lowering the 3rd, or flatting the 5th, etc are tossed around freely.  Starting to realize it makes changing keys far easier.

Here's a screenshot from DH that has inspired me:  An easier way to group Major and Minor scales using them

Enjoy,

Bryan

FF Pentatonic Theory.pdf

Edited by Plantsman13