• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/04/1971

Hey guys, here's a cautionary tale for you. I went to a very good guitar shop in Madrid last week (Málaga8) to check out some mid range acoustic guitars, as I wanted to upgrade from my trusty Yamaha LW-5 that I bought new some 26 years ago. I felt that the bottom end was a bit lacking and I wanted something with a bit more punch. After spending many hours carefully comparing different models I made a surprise decision and took a Guild F-250 CE, a lovely sunburst jumbo design with cutaway and built in microphone. The strings were in bad shape from the transport, the top E and B were rough, but they put a new set of d'Addarios on for free and the thing just sings! I never considered a jumbo because I like the "manly" shape of dreadnoughts, but it just sits so well on my knee and sounds gorgeous, so I said "what the heck" and took it. €570, I thought I would put it on the credit card and pay it off over six months, so my wife wouldn't notice. After all, we already have 7 guitars, 5 saxophones, 4 flutes, 2 trombones and 2 keyboards. I think she's right when she says we have more than enough instruments in the house!

In the end I felt so bad about cheating on her in this manner that I actually went to confession about it. 

Anyway... driving back from work today I got a call... "cariño, did you spend a lot of money last week in a music shop? You wouldn't happen to have got a new guitar would you?"

So, my infidelity is out in the open. But do you know what? She said it didn't matter, and she still loves me!

The moral of this story is to be up front with the most important person in your life, because he/she will probably not mind anyway, especially if he/she loves you and understands your passion for music!

20210302_190353.jpg

• Like 3

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

Wonderful story @Eduardo    I have learned that quid pro quo often applies in our search for that perfect tone.   My problem is that I live very close to Nashville.    So every time we are there (pre-Covid anyway) I would stop in at Gruhn Guitars, or Carter Vintage Guitars or one of the local Guitar Center stores.     My wife would never complain (she plays the violin and piano).     But she would insist that we also stop at one of the Nashville violin stores as well!     So my trips to Nashville can get very expensive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member ID:  2,628
  • Followers:  0

I'm jealous of you William, (for living close to Nashville). But Spain is also a guitar heaven, just a different style. I can get back into my wife's good books quite cheaply though, as she's not a musician. All I have to do is get busy in the kitchen because she loves my cooking! That's another thing we are blessed with in Spain - this is the home of good food and good wine, speaking of which it's dinner time over here. 😋

• Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

Sweet! And a sweet story. Over there <-- my long arms are draped around Leslie, my 1975 Guild dreadnought. So manly. The bass strings, I mean. Welcome to the family!

• Like 2

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, Eduardo said:

... my wife wouldn't notice. After all, we already have 7 guitars, 5 saxophones, 4 flutes, 2 trombones and 2 keyboards.

2 hours ago, Eduardo said:

... my wife ... she's not a musician.

Hang on a moment Eduardo, I was thinking you had so many instruments between you but now you say your wife is not a musician. What is that telling us about the owner of all those instruments?

By the way, that Guild is a wonderful guitar. Good choice!

• Haha 2

• Member ID:  2,628
  • Followers:  0

Hey Fretless, you're right, we have enough instruments to fit out an entire band, but in my defense, they're spread between me and our two kids. My son's the trombonist, but he's hit the typical 12 year old "I hate music and anything that requires a bit of effort" stage, so we may be sharing instruments between just my daughter and myself soon!

And yes, the Guild was an inspired choice, I was playing it all yesterday afternoon instead of doing next week's lesson planning!