• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  10
  • Device:  Windows

Hi everyone,

So I recently started playing with an old beginner level Fender acoustic FA-100 I had for some years. I'm looking to go the distance with my guitar learning this time. Still beginner level though. But anyway, I was wondering. Is there a single type of guitar that is versatile for most styles of playing?

• Member ID:  2,576
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Macintosh

I've never seen one.  I think you should find the style you like most and start from there.  There is a thread on this site that asks the question, "how many guitars are enough" i think the overall agreement was "just one more".

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957

I think a lot of folks would say that a 6 string steel string acoustic is probably the most versatile.    But as @DonMerlin suggested, this will depend on the style of music you want to play.     I have  heard Steve say that if he was on a desert island, he would want his nylon string classical.     I think most would agree that regardless of the type of guitar you choose, be sure to have a good setup done by a reliable guitar tech so that it is enjoyable to play.    Good luck on your journey!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  146
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19

2253stratboogie.jpg.c4991e2025735358a8645ce4fc9b0954.jpg

My choice would be for my HSS strat as it has been the most enjoyably versatile guitar I have owned. Coupled with the Mesa Boogie which is in itself a versatile amp, the tonal possibilities I have at my disposal mean I can cover country (which really requires a Tele), jazz, rock, funk, pop and other genres with it.

I appreciate Nairon is talking about his acoustic guitar and do not want to argue whether an acoustic is better than an electric as they serve different purposes. I started learning on electric and it is still my personal preference.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,655
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  10
  • Device:  Windows

On 3/2/2021 at 2:43 PM, William Nelson said:

I think a lot of folks would say that a 6 string steel string acoustic is probably the most versatile.    But as @DonMerlin suggested, this will depend on the style of music you want to play.     I have  heard Steve say that if he was on a desert island, he would want his nylon string classical.     I think most would agree that regardless of the type of guitar you choose, be sure to have a good setup done by a reliable guitar tech so that it is enjoyable to play.    Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully once I try out a few styles and find the one I like most then I'll be able to figure out what my next guitar will be. I got to say though, just doing some browsing of on guitar websites, I could see why a lot of people have a collection of instruments.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16

I'm among those that have something of a collection of guitars with 7 electrics and 4 acoustics (One belonged to my Mom and a small acoustic I bought for travel).  Of my 7, I tend to play my Les Pauls far more than the others.  Second would be my Squire CV Telecaster (among my least expensive).  My Stratocaster, I've owned the longest and is by far played the the least. 

So it seems I have a preference for single cut guitars and hum bucker pickups, but it took me a while to learn that and I definitely enjoy single coils for some songs.  

I think when shopping for a new axe, its best to try to avoid the mindset that your next guitar must be the perfect one.  You may bond over time, or you may not, but the guitar you buy should speak to you on some level when you buy it.  It may take some time with various guitars to determine if you actually have a strong preference for a particular type. I know that's how my journey unfolded so explore as you feel inspired to.

Some of my guitars I just like owning for their beauty as an object nearly as much as I enjoy playing them.

Good Luck.

• Like 1