• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

When practicing a song from YouTube how do I know what bpm to set the metronome that would fit the speed of the song 

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

I'm not sure why you need the metronome if you are playing along with the song.  When the song starts you should be able to tap your foot, or however you get the beat, and then play along with that beat.

But if you want to be able to get the tempo, to set a metronome, perhaps to work a lick or section, there are ways.

First, most metronomes will have a "tap tempo" mode.  This allows you to, as the name suggests, to tap a button on the metronome with the beat and then the metronome will set itself to that speed.  On my Line 6 POD 500X the button is just called "TAP".  On my phone app, "Mobile Metronome Pro", there is a button that says "or tap tempo here".  You may have to consult the manual for your metronome to find out how to start and stop it.  But the concept is the same.  You start the metronome counting and then after a time period stop it.  The metronome counted the beats and the number of seconds you had it count those beats.  The metronome does the math and then gives you beats/minute.

Lastly, you can just time it yourself.  Do it the way we healthcare people always used to count heart rates before it, like everything, went digital!🤔  Remember the nurse or healthcare person holding your wrist (palpating) and looking at his/her watch? Tap along to the song and count and time yourself.  Count the beats and then, depending on how long you measured, convert it to 1 minute.  If you counted 23 beats for 15 seconds, multiply 23 by 4 and you have 92 bpm.  Count 31 beats in 10 seconds?  31 x 6 = 186 bpm.  Are you listening to metal?😁   The longer you count for the more accurate it will be.   At least 15 seconds for most accuracy.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Like it was said above,  if you're playing along with a song , the tempo is set for you, so no need for a nome

But I've learned one thing  

If you're playing on your own or in a group and you're the lead guitar, you set your own tempo ( fast or slow) and everyone will have to follow. 

So if you must use a nome, set it slow enough for you to be accurate and speed it up as needed.

Don't worry about what the original was recorded at, you're playing it now as you

(I know it sounds like I'm recommending not using a nome)

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Slow the metronome down to fit the hardest section/measure you’re working on; then you can bring the entire song along as you improve.  
A great idea is to use the metronome to practice syncing your rhythm to the backbeat on beats 2 and 4.  Great for “losing” the monotone sound of beginning guitar students and taking a step towards sounding like a musician.  
I also find counting out loud (or to myself) is a great technique for practice.  
Hopefully I didn’t walk on too many previous posts; and yes, I’m not where I want to be yet in this regard.  

Edited by Plantsman13
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

@Plantsman13 how could you have walked "on too many previous posts"?  Thanks for your input.

• Haha 1