• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  36
  • Device:  Windows

So Gibson moved their ES line from Memphis back to Nashville in order to streamline production and focus on quality. Well, I thought I would never get one until now. The new generation ES line seems promising. I mean it has to be since there are so many great alternatives, and I own a couple. But I thought I couldn’t go wrong with the real ES-335 this time. The amount of precision that goes into making the guitar these days, thanks to modern technology and machinery, should make the instrument as good as it can be. Right?

I took a chance and got one. Nothing fancy, satin finish which makes the guitar less expensive. I got an extra deal on it, too. It’s equipped the same as the higher models with more frills. The new T-Type pickups are really a modern version of T-Tops from the mid 60s and 70s. They really fit the vibe of this semi-hollow guitar and give it a warn, creamy sound. I love that. I was a little worried about the neck profile and how chunky it may feel. However, even though it has a little more meat to it than my usually preferred slim taper neck, it actually feels great. The rounded C neck makes it a joy to play. I realize the satin finish will develop shiny patches in high touch areas over time, but I’m OK with that.

Now, is it better than my less expensive alternatives (D’Angelico EX-DC and Sheraton II Pro)? I have to say YES. The Gibson ES-335 is better, but the alternatives are pretty close. Each guitar has its own character, but put the same electronics in say the Epiphone and chances are you won’t hear the difference. And yet there’s nothing like the real deal, is there?

1586497473_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryinCase.JPG.83744c229d95c539085efe4a8756c0e7.JPG

2105171626_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryFront.JPG.52fccdf32f4ad33b1c37d2decc736035.JPG 1159156167_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryBack.JPG.d8c28132189f543e9dc85c622f6e29d0.JPG 76815743_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryAccessories.JPG.99bece3a9eb6e833f07bf98126ee8e9c.JPG

• Like 3

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

Congratulations on the new 335!   You can't go wrong with the classic blues guitar.  Enjoy it for a very long time.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

Great! The ES-335 is a legendary guitar. You don't need the fancy stuff. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  33
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959
  • Device:  Macintosh

Congrats! Very nice guitar!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,732
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I went with a Heritage 535 (their equivalent model), made by some of the original craftsmen from Gibson in the Kalamazoo factory.  Those semi hollow models really can sound great.  Congrats on your purchase - enjoy the smooth tones!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

5 hours ago, V7#5b9 said:

So Gibson moved their ES line from Memphis back to Nashville in order to streamline production and focus on quality. Well, I thought I would never get one until now. The new generation ES line seems promising. I mean it has to be since there are so many great alternatives, and I own a couple. But I thought I couldn’t go wrong with the real ES-335 this time. The amount of precision that goes into making the guitar these days, thanks to modern technology and machinery, should make the instrument as good as it can be. Right?

I took a chance and got one. Nothing fancy, satin finish which makes the guitar less expensive. I got an extra deal on it, too. It’s equipped the same as the higher models with more frills. The new T-Type pickups are really a modern version of T-Tops from the mid 60s and 70s. They really fit the vibe of this semi-hollow guitar and give it a warn, creamy sound. I love that. I was a little worried about the neck profile and how chunky it may feel. However, even though it has a little more meat to it than my usually preferred slim taper neck, it actually feels great. The rounded C neck makes it a joy to play. I realize the satin finish will develop shiny patches in high touch areas over time, but I’m OK with that.

Now, is it better than my less expensive alternatives (D’Angelico EX-DC and Sheraton II Pro)? I have to say YES. The Gibson ES-335 is better, but the alternatives are pretty close. Each guitar has its own character, but put the same electronics in say the Epiphone and chances are you won’t hear the difference. And yet there’s nothing like the real deal, is there?

1586497473_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryinCase.JPG.83744c229d95c539085efe4a8756c0e7.JPG

2105171626_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryFront.JPG.52fccdf32f4ad33b1c37d2decc736035.JPG 1159156167_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryBack.JPG.d8c28132189f543e9dc85c622f6e29d0.JPG 76815743_2020GibsonES-335SatinCherryAccessories.JPG.99bece3a9eb6e833f07bf98126ee8e9c.JPG

Congratulations @V7#5b9 ! Yes, it's true. There is nothing like the real deal. I've had mine since 2011 ( ' 63 Memphis ReIssue Heritage Cherry figured top, dot inlay) and I've Never regretted it for a second. It is just so good, so versitile, It's hard to put it down. (Most of my posted recordings on this site and SoundCloud are played with it) Initially I was a bit shy on th cost too (especially in Canada where we pay at least 25% more CDN$ in USD exchange rate plus 13% tax) , but I also reminded myself that these guitars not only retain their value, but tend to go up in value over time. (The replacement cost now is almost $1000 higher. ) Quality instruments are meant for a lifetime. Enjoy!   Neil

• Like 1

• Member ID:  64
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20

Congrats on your new ES-335. I love mine. Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Congratulations on your new 335, I especially like the colour. Regardless of the specs, a guitar should look & feel good for you to want to play it. You have a winner, enjoy.

Henk

• Like 1

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  304
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

8 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Congratulations @V7#5b9 ! Yes, it's true. There is nothing like the real deal. I've had mine since 2011 ( ' 63 Memphis ReIssue Heritage Cherry figured top, dot inlay) and I've Never regretted it for a second. It is just so good, so versitile, It's hard to put it down. (Most of my posted recordings on this site and SoundCloud are played with it) Initially I was a bit shy on th cost too (especially in Canada where we pay at least 25% more CDN$ in USD exchange rate plus 13% tax) , but I also reminded myself that these guitars not only retain their value, but tend to go up in value over time. (The replacement cost now is almost $1000 higher. ) Quality instruments are meant for a lifetime. Enjoy!   Neil

Neil, I have found the costs of US goods to be closer to 43 - 50%. Dollar exchange, HST plus occasional brokerage fees, then add delivery charges, if they even deliver to Canada. Pre-COVID with a US post box just over the border was the way to go and take advantage of free US shipping. Sadly, those days are gone. Sorry if this is a hijack.

Henk

• Member ID:  10

14 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

No regrets here, either.

6 hours ago, Oldjock said:

Neil, I have found the costs of US goods to be closer to 43 - 50%. Dollar exchange, HST plus occasional brokerage fees, then add delivery charges, if they even deliver to Canada. Pre-COVID with a US post box just over the border was the way to go and take advantage of free US shipping. Sadly, those days are gone. Sorry if this is a hijack.

Henk

Actually in this case, Neil is closer. If you look at the Gibson price, it comes up to 25% exchange plus 13% tax and a free delivery from a local dealer. Of course, we don’t know the dealer’s cost.

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

As another Canadian,  I won't argue importing your own guitars vs Long and Mcquade cdn prices 

But I will say, enjoy your ES335 

And play it proud 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Congrats on your new guitar!  

The chunkier neck may prove over time to be your preference.  I though I preferred slim necks until spending some time with a 50's carve Gibson neck.  Now I much prefer a medium to thick neck and find the really thin necks the most uncomfortable.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 7:39 PM, Six String said:

Congrats on your new guitar!  

The chunkier neck may prove over time to be your preference.  I though I preferred slim necks until spending some time with a 50's carve Gibson neck.  Now I much prefer a medium to thick neck and find the really thin necks the most uncomfortable.  

You may be right Six. I’m not sure what it is. Perhaps it’s an evolving technique. I remember as a beginner I couldn’t quite bond with a Strat. Its chunky neck felt like a baseball bat. Today a bit of meat doesn’t bother me. But I hope I won’t develop a dislike for thin necks.

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

What a great guitar to add to ring out your fabulous playing chops. Congrats and make some sweet music with it.

Greg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gotto said:

What a great guitar to add to ring out your fabulous playing chops. Congrats and make some sweet music with it.

Greg

Thanks Greg. I don’t know about the fabulous playing chops, but I’m glad to have the guitar. 🙂

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979

Looks beautiful! Those are definitely classics for a reason!

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  110
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/02/1969

Congratulations!  That is a nice looking guitar!!!