Jump to content

Guitar Gathering 2018 - Wed June 20-Saturday June 23rd


Recommended Posts

Hi DianeB thanks for all the information. 

I really appreciate your post and helpful insights.

Thanks

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Mandy Barnett is at 3rd and Lindsley on Tuesday and there is always the Opry on Saturday evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At last report, Steve has plans for Friday night, but hasn't announced them yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

For those who have been to a Gathering before, did you find that it was easier to bring your git around in a hard case or a gig bag? I'm not sure if there are places to lock everything up during the day or if space is at a premium and the hardshell case would not be optimal or... whatever. Any suggestions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Colder, the main room will be secured every night. There's plenty of room. Your gear will probably be safer there than in your hotel or your car, but that's up to you. You will only have to carry your guitar a few times, a short distance, from there to the classrooms. I would simply bring the case that you prefer to transport the guitar in.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Diane! I'm expecting I will want to practice in the evening, so I'll probably take it back to my room with me each night. Good to hear the details on the locked room and all though. Thank you!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A question to the gang (its probably been asked many times!).

This will be my first Guitar Gathering and I'm really looking forward to it. My question is what do you recommend as far as bringing an Acoustic vs an Electric? I have a small practice amp that really wouldn't be a problem lugging around. What is the 'norm' for these events? I'm guessing that most bring Acoustic...

Thoughts?

Dale

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Dale, you might want to see my post for first timers on the previous page of this thread. Any day now, Steve should be sending out his e-mail survey to registrants. I suspect it's overdue because of last minute changes to the schedule. See you there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Beatup6String said:

A question to the gang (its probably been asked many times!).

This will be my first Guitar Gathering and I'm really looking forward to it. My question is what do you recommend as far as bringing an Acoustic vs an Electric? I have a small practice amp that really wouldn't be a problem lugging around. What is the 'norm' for these events? I'm guessing that most bring Acoustic...

Thoughts?

Dale

 

Hi Dale,

I asked that question in another thread, and most people responded that either one will be fine, but acoustic seemed to be the preference of those responding to my question. 

I'll probably bring my acoustic but I'm still kind of on the fence. In a way I want to bring my electric because I spend a lot more time playing electric, but the idea of going acoustic for a week of intensive study seems natural too... stripping things down to just the mental side of things. 

Who knows, for me it'll be a game time decision which one I bring but I think either will work just fine.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was easier with so many people to use an acoustic during the classes.  I would think that if you had something like a battery operated Line 6 POD you could use earbuds so you could hear yourself play your electric it might be ok.  They had an amp in the classes that I went to that they passed the cord around during a few of the sessons.  I ended up leaving my electric in my hotel room until it was time for a set up with Greg.  I brought a music stand last time and if I can get one in time I'll bring a portable guitar stand.  See you all soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2018 at 11:45 PM, colder said:

For those who have been to a Gathering before, did you find that it was easier to bring your git around in a hard case or a gig bag? I'm not sure if there are places to lock everything up during the day or if space is at a premium and the hardshell case would not be optimal or... whatever. Any suggestions? 

I only buy hard cases... but check this out...

I used these to fly Toronto to Nashville,  then Memphis to Chicago to Toronto..

 

Http://www.backaxe.com

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2018 at 9:56 AM, ShadowBoxer86 said:

It was easier with so many people to use an acoustic during the classes.  I would think that if you had something like a battery operated Line 6 POD you could use earbuds so you could hear yourself play your electric it might be ok.  They had an amp in the classes that I went to that they passed the cord around during a few of the sessons.  I ended up leaving my electric in my hotel room until it was time for a set up with Greg.  I brought a music stand last time and if I can get one in time I'll bring a portable guitar stand.  See you all soon.

That is another good question I suppose. I don't use guitar stands, I like them safe in the case :) However, should I bring a music stand? Will there be enough for everyone? I can bring my own if not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, colder said:

That is another good question I suppose. I don't use guitar stands, I like them safe in the case :) However, should I bring a music stand? Will there be enough for everyone? I can bring my own if not. 

Guitar stands are quite useful (especially during the sessions held in the main conference room). You may be able to camp out in a spot that allows you to have your guitar case nearby - however that room was very crowded last year. 

Regarding music stands - I have brought one each of the past two years and have not used it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All Those rules all read "as long as it can be stored under seat or in overhead"

Well... always be prepared to have them check it under the plane once you're on board and your case doesnt fit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

All Those rules all read "as long as it can be stored under seat or in overhead"

Well... always be prepared to have them check it under the plane once you're on board and your case doesnt fit

And Doug it goes on to read "as long as there is room".  I've gotten in arguments with people on other forums that seem to think that the airlines, due to the new travel regulations, have to provide one with space for a guitar in the overhead or under the seat.  They do but only so long as there is room.  And it's up to the airline staff to determine "if there is room".  If you are not in early boarding "always be prepared to have them check it under the plane".

Any more, when I fly, I just always check my Strat in luggage.    I have a TSA compliant locking hardcase.  I lock it up, close my eyes, and check it.  The first couple times, because I was afraid,  I put my "starter guitar" Yamaha Pacifica in the case and checked it.  But the last times (10?) that I have flown I checked the Strat.  So far.  So good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For attendees who aren't on Facebook: Steve confirmed that there are no group activities scheduled Friday night. You're free to explore the city on your own. The Station Inn will feature a brother and sister act, Theo and Brenna, at 9:00 playing bluegrass. Third and Lindsley will have: Lera Lynn featuring special guests John Paul White, Rodney Crowell, Peter Bradley Adams, Nicole Atkins, Andrew Combs, Dylan LeBlanc, and Caleb Caudle at 8:00 (doors 6:00). Neither has reserved seating, so arrive early for the best seats.

 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, matonanjin said:

And Doug it goes on to read "as long as there is room".  I've gotten in arguments with people on other forums that seem to think that the airlines, due to the new travel regulations, have to provide one with space for a guitar in the overhead or under the seat.  They do but only so long as there is room.  And it's up to the airline staff to determine "if there is room".  If you are not in early boarding "always be prepared to have them check it under the plane".

Any more, when I fly, I just always check my Strat in luggage.    I have a TSA compliant locking hardcase.  I lock it up, close my eyes, and check it.  The first couple times, because I was afraid,  I put my "starter guitar" Yamaha Pacifica in the case and checked it.  But the last times (10?) that I have flown I checked the Strat.  So far.  So good.

Yeah, what I take away from that is that a musical instrument seems to be exempt from the normal size restrictions for carry-on items. But they still have to fit in the overhead, and there is no guarantee that by the time you board there will be space in the overhead. In that sense they should be treated like any other piece of carry-on luggage... but it might come down to the whims of whomever is working that day as well. Kind of risky. 

It seems like paying for priority boarding would be a good idea if you were going to try this! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

About us

Guitar Gathering is a community of guitar lovers of all types and skill levels.  This is a place of learning, support and encouragement.  We are unapologetically positive.

If you've come here to gripe, demean others or talk politics then this isn't the place for you.

But if you've come to talk guitars, ask questions and learn from professionals and guitar learners from all over the world then come on in!

Get in touch

Follow us

facebook feed

Recent tweets

×
×
  • Create New...