• Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

13 hours ago, UncleHammy said:

Well gang, unfortunately it looks like my wife and I will not be attending the Guitar Gathering this year.  I had some unforeseen medical expenses last week that more or less emptied my ready cash fund that I planned to use for the trip.

I hate to miss it again this year but life keeps getting in the way.  Hopefully we will see everyone in 2019.

@UncleHammy, it won't make you feel any better, probably.  But I don't know; maybe misery does love company.  Every year you and I both say we are going to make it next year. And every year we don't.  Once again, I as well am not going to make it.  I'm going to have some more surgery in the next couple months.  Not as major as in times past but the timing is such and the recovery is just not going to allow that long of a drive.

Maybe you and I need to meet half-way somewhere, Concordia?, and have our own Guitar Gathering sometime?B|;)

• Member ID:  7
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  7

23 minutes ago, matonanjin said:

Maybe you and I need to meet half-way somewhere, Concordia?, and have our own Guitar Gathering sometime?B|;)

I like that idea @matonanjin.

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08

@UncleHammy, maybe about the same time, June?, or a little later?   I looked at the Member map.  1000+ members and no one else around here?  No one in KC or elsewhere close to join us?  I realize not all of those 1000 have put a pin in the map.  In fact only about 10%.

• Member ID:  275
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

I am registered and have everything booked - Very excited to be attending my first gathering this year! 

Is there a Frequently Asked Questions for these events? I'm wondering what I should bring. Have you found it easier to bring an acoustic or an electric? Would I need to bring an amp and other accessories, or are those provided? Anything non-guitar related that you'd recommend I bring? 

I'd love to hear some detail on any concerts or anything that the group might be attending, how you reserve a spot for one of Greg's setups, all that kind of stuff. I'm a newbie so any tips for success are appreciated! B|

• Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

Welcome, Colder!

In every room, we’ll be surrounded by rows of chairs. An acoustic is probably more versatile for the workshops and jams. If you want to play your electric in the student showcase, there will be cables, amps, microphones, and a professional audio system. The main room will be locked and secure when we’re not there, so you can leave your gear. Make sure your guitar cases are well labeled; there will be a hundred black cases lying around -- in a black room.

Other than the obvious (picks, tuner) I recommend bringing: a couple of pencils and a small notepad, business cards, a folding guitar stand, and cash for lunch, Greg’s setups, and other incidentals. I bring a pad of sticky notes, my chord block stamper, my foot rest and a small seat cushion. I think you can leave the music stand at home. If you have a specific brand of strings you want Greg to use, bring them with you, otherwise he will use D'Addarios.

Go to the 2018 Guitar Gathering Facebook page and register. Steve will approve you.

Trevecca has a very nice food service only a short walk from the music building. So lunch is easy, but bring cash. I think it was about $6 last year.

In a few weeks, Steve will e-mail the registrants with a survey asking: Do you want to reserve a setup with Greg? Can you help with logistics (ride sharing, for example)? Do you want to play in the student showcase?

From Steve’s program description, it sounds like the afternoon jam sessions will again be structured, with a pro to facilitate each one. Out in the hallway, though, anything goes. See ya there!

GG Day 1.jpg

• Thanks 2

Great info Diane! Thanks! I think that for now I'll just plan on bringing my acoustic. It's the next one due for a setup, and I'd like to strip things down to the most simple for a learning environment. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

Glad you are hopping onboard. You will have a great time! Diane covered things pretty well.

Greg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  121
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This will be my first Guitar Gathering also! I have to admit that I'm not really a beginner but then again I'm not really an intermediate. Not sure how I will fit in but I'm looking forward to the experience. Thanks Diane for the info, it helped me a lot!

Dale

• Like 2

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966

Welcome Dale! - Steve

On 4/3/2018 at 12:04 PM, Beatup6String said:

This will be my first Guitar Gathering also! I have to admit that I'm not really a beginner but then again I'm not really an intermediate. Not sure how I will fit in but I'm looking forward to the experience. Thanks Diane for the info, it helped me a lot!

Dale

I know how you feel Dale, I'm not a great player yet, I'm just looking to get better. 

I like to think that everyone who has become a great player was once only as good as me. But they kept going, and I can too :)

• Member ID:  1,128
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5

Hi everyone,

Thinking of attending the gathering this year. Just wondering what skill level I would need to be at to receive the most benefit? I am not a beginner, probably early/medium  intermediate. But have been struggling for practice time this year due to work and family. Worried that my guitar skills won't be good enough.

What guitar theory/ chords/ chord progressions  would be beneficial to know before I attend? 

Thanks

@Cort23, I am surprised, and frankly disappointed, no one has responded to your question yet.  And I am unqualified to do so because I have been unable to attend yet.

But I can tell you that I have heard Steve say repeatedly this is a conference for all levels of playing skill.  And when this question has been asked many times before on here, those that have attended, have echoed this.  If you are early/middle intermediate I have no doubt that you would benefit from and enjoy the gathering.  But again this is not from first hand experience but from what others, including Steve, have expressed.

As far as what "theory/ chords/ chord progressions" to know I will let someone else answer that.

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

@Cort23 @matonanjin  

I'm pretty sure Barb who goes every year, has responded to similar question in alternate threads. 

2017 Steve stepped up the amount to play time and more guest instructors. But I want there in 2017.

Maybe if I tag her @K9kaos she can add what to expect this year in 2018 for an intermediant/beginner 

And from what I can see from the schedule even more.

http://www.guitargathering2018.com

I would say go if you can. 

Learn you will 

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

18 hours ago, Cort23 said:

Hi everyone,

Thinking of attending the gathering this year. Just wondering what skill level I would need to be at to receive the most benefit? I am not a beginner, probably early/medium  intermediate. But have been struggling for practice time this year due to work and family. Worried that my guitar skills won't be good enough.

What guitar theory/ chords/ chord progressions  would be beneficial to know before I attend? 

Hi Cort

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your progress so far!  That would be amazing if you could travel all the way from Australia to attend the Guitar Gathering in the USA. 

"What guitar theory/ chords/ chord progressions  would be beneficial to know before I attend?"

I have not yet attended myself, but this topic / FAQ can be found in this forum.. But I have it on good authority, no one should be self conscious or embarrassed at their skill level; everyone is  there to encourage each other and learn. I'm sure Steve and the gang would be very pleased to see you.

As an intermediate player, I would suggest you would get a lot out of the conference by knowing your barre chords, basic music theory and major scales and intervals. If you knew the basic 1 - 4 - 5 blues progression, and a "jazz " 2- 5 -1 or even the 1 - 6 - 2 - 5 progressions, I would imagine you could hold your own with 80% of the attendees, and jam with them on almost any common song.

All the Best!  Neil

• Like 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

20 hours ago, Cort23 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Cort,

I think you will find fellow attendees to be some of the most encouraging people you will ever meet. I was very apprehensive when I first signed up for the conference three years ago (I had only been playing guitar for a couple years). Were some of the theory and technique beyond my skill level - certainly! However, I was able to pick up something in every session (even if it was just vague notion of where I need to be in the future). In addition, I have made some wonderful friends that I stay in contact with throughout the year and look forward to seeing every summer.

• Like 3

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  199
  • Days Won:  6

21 hours ago, Cort23 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Cort, as others have said, you will find this conference to be very helpful no matter what skill level you are! 

There are (from what I have seen) quite a few folks that are in the intermediate range (myself included!).

I have found that in sessions where I was more comfortable with the material, I still learned quite a bit, and things that were more advanced really did encourage me to go further!  

This has to be the best bunch of folks I've met at a music conference! I'm sure you'll find it a worthwhile experience!! :) 

• Like 2

Hi, Cort,

Dave just described my own feelings and experiences with the last three gatherings very well. If there is any prerequisite at all, it is to share your joy in learning to play guitar. Just like Dave, I’ve had a few moments when I wished I knew more theory, or could just keep up. So I watched, listened, and learned what I could.

Steve gives careful thought to who leads the workshops. He seeks artists that we’ll not only admire and respect, but who can relate to us as students. They are aware of how varied our skills are. Look at Dave’s picture with Phil Keaggy. All of us who’ve attended have similar memories of moments with the professionals who generously gave their time to advise, encourage, hang out, and joke around with us. I fondly remember Will McFarlane showing me his family pictures on his phone.

Don’t expect three days of guitar craziness in Nashville to send your skill level through the roof. But you can expect to make some true guitar friends. That’s priceless. The shared experiences keep the fire inside burning. I wouldn’t encourage you to travel halfway around the planet if I didn’t think so. Bring some songs to play for us.

• Like 2

HI Everyone,

Thanks for all the great replies and encouragement. I really appreciate the information that was given. Now have to arrange time off work. 

Cort

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951

Everyone who attends, I believe, returns with special memories of a great experience. Players range from all skill levels, beginners to advanced. A real value is that the course material provided in group sessions, as Diane has said, is well designed for all attendees regardless of skill or talent and I have picked up golden nuggets in every one of them. Players and instructors are very supportive and the opportunity to meet them, as well as the special guests, is  an experience to treasure.  Last year I saw small jam groups evolve and emerge in downtime, playing in the hallways while other attendees gathered as appreciative spectators. Nothing really speaks more pointedly than the experience to play and share musical joy with others in this way. Australia is a long ways to come, but the course and the ambience of Nashville are a unique life experience, one that you would never forget. BTW, two years ago a couple Aussies also made the journey. Best wishes.

Greg

• Like 2

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955

Joe Robinson on Acoustic Magazine email:

Very exciting news on the Gathering facebook page! B|B|B|

• Like 3

11 hours ago, colder said:

Very exciting news on the Gathering facebook page! B|B|B|

I saw that and I'm shocked Steve hasn't mentioned it here.  Really making me try and figure out a way to get there!

1 hour ago, matonanjin said:

I saw that and I'm shocked Steve hasn't mentioned it here.  Really making me try and figure out a way to get there!

Well, I think you'd start by taking I-29 south and then I-70 east. ;) :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone,

I have registered for the gathering and booked flights to and from Australia to LAX. I see that the last session finishes at midday on the Saturday. Do most people leave straight away? Or does this session run a bit later as everyone finishes up?

Deciding whether to stay in Nashville on Sat night or fly to LAX. I fly back to Australia on Sun night ( so there is no rush for me straight after the gathering). At this stage I am looking at arriving  in Nashville on Monday ( so that way I have a couple of days for tourist activities). 

Hi, Cort,

There are many delightful music-related and historical sights in the Nashville area. A good place to start your planning is the official visitor’s web site, visitmusiccity.com.

If you’re a fan of country music, then visits to the Ryman Auditorium and the Country Music Hall of Fame are in order. Considering how far you are traveling, I recommend allowing some time to escape the city and enjoy the Tennessee countryside; it is beautiful. Weather permitting, of course: it can be hot and humid in late June, and summer thunderstorms are fairly common.

We don’t know yet what Steve has planned for Friday night or Saturday morning, so I’m leaving those time slots open. After the Saturday morning session, Steve and Greg will probably start packing up their gear as we say our goodbyes and everyone goes their way. Saturday night presents a good opportunity to enjoy the show at the Grand Ole Opry (so far Tenille Townes and The Steel Woods are scheduled that night; others will be added as the date approaches).

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I plan to go to Third and Lindsley Tuesday night to see Mandy Barnett.

Stay tuned to the Gathering Facebook page to see what’s cooking. Looking forward to seeing you!