• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/11/1966
  • Device:  Windows

So I have a setup where I am pumping my guitar signal into a M-Audio USB FastTrack.
The signal is split between the pc and a pair of Creative Inspire T10 speakers
Specifications: 5 watts RMS per channel Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 80dB Frequency Response: 80Hz - 20kHz

Previously I had a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV20. Sorry can't seem to find the specs for those. Anyways I guess the M-Audio speakers blew the amplifier inside.

My question is there any way to prevent another blowout?

How loud can I go with these monitors/speakers? 

Yeah I can do headphones with the Fast Track (it has headphone output), but I'd rather not....(trying to avoid the headphones whenever possible.)

Thanks!

• Member ID:  146
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi there, ImpulseArts.

There seems to be a bit of a mismatch between your expectation (studio monitors, as per the topic title) and the reality (both sets of speakers are cheap and cheeful desktop speakers for plugging into a PC).

How loud can you go? Playing your guitar through those speakers the answer will be really quietly otherwise you will risk blowing the speaker probably before blowing the amp.

You will get on much better with an amp designed to have a guitar played through it. Is your guitar electric or acoustic? If electric, look at the selection here. If it is acoustic look at these amps. If you are wanting studio monitors then look at these. If you want to play guitar and backing tracks together then a small PA speaker would be another possibility, in which case have a look at these. I have set a filter on each of those links to $200 max so as not to scare you with good quality gear with higher prices.

By all means, explain more precicely what you are wanting to achieve and the answers you get should be a closer match with your needs.

And if it is of any consolation, my first guitar was electric and I bought the cheapest guitar amp I could find and managed to blow that, so we are on the same track!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  540
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10

Hey Fretless thanks for your reply.

Ok, so what I am trying to achieve is to plug in my electric guitar into my computer and actually hear it while I am playing/recording, either through the speakers or through headphones. In other words, I don't want to plug my guitar into the pc and strum without hearing any sound at all.

I do have both a speaker out and a line out on my amp, but I know plugging that into my pc... is not going to happen! ;)

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Line out on the amp, would plug into the input of your PC Audio card.

That way you should be able to hear your guitar on your amp, and the output of your PC speakers. 

There are a number of ways to connect your guitar to the PC, 

Remember the speakers running off your PC typically will not blow as they're running at PC level

Your  M-Audio USB FastTrack, should be find and hear on the speakers should be fine

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

That way you should be able to hear your guitar on your amp, and the output of your PC speakers. 

There are a number of ways to connect your guitar to the PC, 

Remember the speakers running off your PC typically will not blow as they're running at PC level

Your  M-Audio USB FastTrack, should be find and hear on the speakers should be fine

Wouldn't that damage the pc though?

• Member ID:  146
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, InpulseArts said:

I do have both a speaker out and a line out on my amp, ...

What sort of amp is this? A guitar amp (or combo)? A Hi-Fi amp?

If it is a guitar combo then Eracer_Team-DougH's advice is spot on - the line out is at line level and that is the right level to plug into your audio interface, the M-Audio USB FastTrack. Any speaker output on any type of amplifier will blow your interface so don't go there, use the line or, 2nd best, the headphone out if your combo has one.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

Those are computer speakers, and not really suitable for guitar purposes.

You need to have studio monitors connected to the speaker out on the M-Audio. I have two Mackie MK2 Powered studio monitors connected to my M-Audio Fasttrack C400. Your M-Audio doesn't have an amp so you need powered Studio monitors. The MK2 is bi amped 20 watt tweeter with 50 watt mid. 

What do you mean "signal is split between the pc and a pair of Creative Inspire T10 speaker"? 

Edited by Randy120

"What do you mean "signal is split between the pc and a pair of Creative Inspire T10 speaker"?"

The USB goes into the computer DAW or whatever, and the RCA plugs go into the Creative Inspire T10 speakers

IMG_0325.JPG

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

That unit, you would plug your guitar in the guitar in and the USB as you say goes to the PC, and yes those RCA outputs would be line level signal to powered speakers 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  16
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  16

To fully clarify, the Fastrack is a analog/digital converter.  Your signal path goes - Analog from string vibrating over magnet (pickup), into the Fastrack where its converted to digital, into the PC via USB where the sound is processed digitally (amps, effects etc.) by whatever software you are using, then back out to the Fastrack as a digital output again via the USB which is then converted back to analog and sent to your powered speaker via the output jacks usually 1/4" or XLR, but could be other formats like RCA.

Others have correctly pointed out the speakers you are currently using are really more aimed at streaming playback vs live performance and certainly not up to the task of mixing recordings.  They should be ok for quite playing but might self destruct if cranked up very loud.

My personal experience is that entry level studio monitors will work for live monitoring, but may not be really satisfying in terms of feeling like an "amp in the room".  

If all you need is a mono output a powered 10-12" PA speaker can be used in lieu of the monitors and will feel much more like playing through an amp.  I ran this configuration for most of last year but my PC started giving me issues and I went back to an amp and analog pedal board.

• Like 1