• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1942
  • Device:  Windows

I am a great grandpa and started working on playing the guitar about 2 1/2 years ago. I have, what I think, is a very good guitar. Without giving a brand name I will say that it cost me about $2,000.00. I have been seeing advertisements for guitars that are much, much more expensive. My question is; will a more expensive guitar help in learning how to play?

I know that some people may think this is a joke but trust me at 78 years old it isn't a joke. I really do want to learn how to play the guitar, and to play it good.

Thanks in advance for your input.

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@Gran Gran  Welcome to the forum, and I presume, to Steve's course. My take on your question is this: the guitar that will best help you learn is the one on which you actually practice and play. That guitar could cost anywhere from $25 to $250,000. It should suit the kind of music you want to play, give you pleasure, and it should be professionally set up so that you don't have to work against it. So, my layperson's short answer is, no.

There comes a price point of diminishing returns at which the extra dollars do not add playability or tone as much as they add trim and finish. This point varies with the individual. A downside of owning a pricey instrument is that one can become more concerned with preserving its value than actually playing it. These days one can purchase a high quality instrument for $2,000, so your present guitar should serve you well as a student. All the best. 

• Like 3

• Member ID:  13
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

@Gran Gran welcome to the beginning of a wonderful journey. One is never to old to start learning something new. I started at 68 and am thoroughly enjoying both the learning experience and the comradery of a nice group of guitarists in the L & M group with Steve. There are many different reasons for picking a particular guitar but Diane is right, "..it must be one that you use." Since you have already chosen your guitar, practice with it, learn with it and enjoy it. Don't feel that this guitar will be the final guitar in your journey, very few people still use the guitar they started with. You did not mention whether your guitar is acoustic or electric, a big difference in the learning curve as well as the sounds produced. As for the statement that a more expensive guitar will make you a better player, is in my opinion false. There is no doubt that there is a difference between a $200 guitar and a $2000 guitar but little difference between $1000 & $2000. Amps, modelers and pedals all change tones which you may be seeking.

My advice, keep it simple and as you learn more about the music and the instrument, you will make a better informed decision as to which direction to proceed on your fantastic journey.

Henk

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

As Henk and Diane said once you cross the $1,000 range of instruments the return becomes less and less .

like a car that didn't cost much can go from 0-60 in 5.5sec and costs a lot to get it to 5.0 seconds.

Granted there are many fine examples well below $1,000 as well.

Just remember,  nicks, scratches, and dings happen and are all part of a guitar knowing it's loved. 

[edit: owning a $2,000+ guitar is amazing.. play it , play it again]

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 3

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

@Gran Gran, welcome to you and no one, I believe, thinks your question is a joke.  It's a valid question.  We often see some form of "Will a better, i.e. more expensive, guitar somehow improve my guitar learning experience".  You have received two thoughtful, considered answers and I am probably going to do little to add to those other than just reiterate.

There are probably a lot more of us senior learners, of great grandpa age, on these forums than most realize.  I am conceivably (pun intentional) of that age.  I have two grand-kids in their upper 20's😉.   So biologically it's possible.

I was slightly younger than @Oldjock when I started. Santa brought me a nice "starter" kit.  It was a Yamaha Pacifica guitar and a little practice amp.  Shortly after I, fortunately, and I don't remember how, found Steve's Learn and Master Guitar.  And my journey began.

But it wasn't long afterwards, 5 or 6 months perhaps, and I recognized a problem.  I had been now dutifully practicing every day, for months, and I am not playing like Carlos Santana yet!  There had to be a problem.  And I knew what that problem was!  I have a cheap guitar!  I very convincingly explained the problem to my wife.  She had, after all, delivered the Yamaha to me in Santa's stead and I didn't want to seem unappreciative nor offend her or Santa.

And then off to the local guitar store we went. And when we returned home I had a new Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Blues Jr. 3.   And practice I did.  And I made more progress.  Although Carlos was not yet looking over his shoulder. 

After a few more months with the new Les Paul I was sitting in my music room and there was that poor, dejected, lonely Pacifica sitting in the corner.  Something prompted me to pick it up.  And play it.  And guess what?!  It played great! 

I had made progress and it was due to the fact that due to the excitement of the new Les Paul, I was practicing more.  With retrospection, I had made it through the dreaded L&MG session 4 with that Pacifica.  @Gran Gran, you're not there to session 4 yet and probably don't know what that means.  You will. Session 4 around here is badge of accomplishment.

So "will a more expensive guitar help in learning how to play"?  No.  But anything that encourages us to pick up the guitar and practice will.

• Like 3

• Member ID:  1,681
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1942

I really appreciate the advise from you folks. It does encourage me to practice more. I have utilized the Steve's Learn and Master the Guitar course as my primary source to learning to play the guitar. Especially in learning how to read music. I can read and play notes better than playing chords.  Thank you.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101
  • Device:  iPhone

@Gran Gran

I would like to add one more thing to the good advice you have already received from my guitar friends here.

Especially when it comes to buying an acoustic guitar, let your ear guide you.

Before buying my steel acoustic string, I made several visits to the local guitar store and took the time to try out many guitars. Now there was something about the sound of the one I finally took home.

For some reason this guitar could "sing" in a way that moved me emotionally.

And now about 4 years later it still has the same effect on me. The instrument itself inspires me to play.

Wim.

• Like 3