• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  34

Here is an article by John Bohlinger. Great insight Click Here

The same pitfall is that if you only ever play along to original artist's recordings you can not hear how you sound. 

Edited by Nutty 1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Nutty 1 changed the title to 🎸Recording yourself helps you to progress your playing.🎙

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101
  • Device:  iPhone

I obviously agree with the article. Recording is an important element in my guitar learning journey.

Wim.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

I would agree as well. I've found that using my Looper pedal while practicing is a great help in hearing exacty how you sound. I record the rhythm track and play the melody over it to practice the tune and the timing. It's a bit frustrating at times to get a "clean" track and often takes many many attempts, but it's well worth it in the end, whether you are practicing or recording. Now I'm more familiar with it (there was a pretty steep learning curve),  I also use my recording software "Reaper" for this when I want to capture a track to save. Pro backing tracks are good too, but I prefer doing both parts.  

• Like 2

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947
  • Device:  Windows

Thanks for posting the article Mandy. Recording myself play has really become one of my failures. I have such limited time to play and practice that I cannot commit more time to learning about recording systems. I have on occasion used the Voice memos app on iOS and have been disappointed with the results. I suspect the the replay points out to my lack of skills rather than the tinny sound coming from the phone.

In the summary the author states, "Multitracking a song by yourself is one of the best things you can do to improve your musicianship." I cannot disagree, so I must begin moving in that direction to improve my skill set. Hopefully my children's houses will be completely renovated and more time becomes available. There are many small recorders on the market for less than $300. What are my fellow forum members using and why?

Henk

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

1 hour ago, Oldjock said:

I have on occasion used the Voice memos app on iOS and have been disappointed with the results.

Henk if you have an iOS device then you have free access to GarageBand. You will find it in the App Store. GarageBand is an amazing software package which I highly recommend for a first DAW.

If you are going to work with an iPad or iPhone a cheap but good way to connect your guitar is an iRig2 which is a good low cost interface. This is much better than using the internal microphone.

If you are thinking about working with a Mac or Pc and had more cash to spend a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a great interface (it does not work with tablets though). Macs also get GarageBand for free.

If you wish to record to a Pc you could always install Audacity which is free (they also have a free Mac version) https://www.audacityteam.org

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Recording or looping myself just proves how far off reality is and what my brain hears   😪