• Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

The year is 1947. Mel Bay was asked to write guitar instructional books for returning GIs (Galvanized  Iron). I assume it was the “War Department” that was involved and the GI bill would help retuning vets buy the books. Mel approached 3 major publishers and was turned down, because guitar playing was on its death bed.
He then started his own publishing company. He traveled around the country selling his books and meeting thousands of guitar teachers.

Elvis Presley probably played a big part in preventing the “death of the guitar” and helped the Mel Bay’s company  become a major source of guitar instructional material.

Seems to me like the only business on the “death bed” were guitar manufacturers.The interest in learning and playing appears to have always been there.Just waiting for the internet.

I think if Mel’s son William, who took over the business in 1997, had the money, interest or vision, Mel Bay Publishing company might be a giant today or at least a major player like Hal Leonard Corp. 
Who knows, a new cover on their books and some DVDs  or online instructions to replace the teachers they once depended heavily on, they could still make a come back.They already have a ton of material on their shelves and it’s as good as most. There’s probably a thousand teachers on line that got their start using those Mel Bay Method Books. 

Today, YouTube teachers share 20 billion dollars  a year with their on line guitar businesses. Ever watch Marty Schwartz? He’s pretty good, but did you know his income is a 6 figure number, that right $100,000+. Wonder how many on Guitar Tricks, Jam Play, True Fire bring in that much. Justin is probably another one rolling in the cash.

Well, back to practice. Yes, you’re right, Minuetto from Mel Bay method method books is on my music stand. But, my head is now spinning thinking about all that $$$$$$ and galvanized iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7NUKG2DH4

Edited by Triple-o
  • Like 1