• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all. 

I recently  purchased a new Maton acoustic.  I didnt notice this blemish on the  top sound board by the lower bout where my forearm rests.  I have been playing it for about 3 weeks and noticed it today.  Couldnt say if it was there previously,  quite possibly my own arm sweat etc...   I purchased it new but first saw it in this store 3 months ago.  Tried using a soft damp cotton rag to wipe it away but it only removed a small bit.  Anyone have any cleaning and preserving tips for this guitars top etc .?

Also, I cannot find  info on the first 3 letters of my Maton model number. Anyone know how to break the EBG808CTE down .   If Im reading Matons site correctly, the 808 is a Maton body size / style , the C is cutaway and TE is for Tommy Emmanuel.   Anyone know what EBG breaks down to?

Im enjoying playing this guitar.  It sounds great and I have no complaints.  I also purchased the Fishman Loudbox Artist and love it as well.  No mic or recording equipment besides my laptops built in mic and garage band.  Those are next   

Thanks.

20180713_180430.jpg

20180713_180244.jpg

20180713_180147.jpg

• Member ID:  15
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

I clean my Martin with mild soap and water then dry it quickly . but it is a wood top . no stain , it gets dark there to . and cleans right up. i heard that baking soda and water worked well . but you have to try a small spot first then wash and dry . Good luck and nice guitar

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

2 hours ago, JayKayWright said:

Hi all. 

I recently  purchased a new Maton acoustic.  I didnt notice this blemish on the  top sound board by the lower bout where my forearm rests.  I have been playing it for about 3 weeks and noticed it today.  Couldnt say if it was there previously,  quite possibly my own arm sweat etc...   I purchased it new but first saw it in this store 3 months ago.  Tried using a soft damp cotton rag to wipe it away but it only removed a small bit.  Anyone have any cleaning and preserving tips for this guitars top etc .?

Also, I cannot find  info on the first 3 letters of my Maton model number. Anyone know how to break the EBG808CTE down .   If Im reading Matons site correctly, the 808 is a Maton body size / style , the C is cutaway and TE is for Tommy Emmanuel.   Anyone know what EBG breaks down to?

Im enjoying playing this guitar.  It sounds great and I have no complaints.  I also purchased the Fishman Loudbox Artist and love it as well.  No mic or recording equipment besides my laptops built in mic and garage band.  Those are next   

Thanks.

20180713_180430.jpg

20180713_180244.jpg

20180713_180147.jpg

Jay; If you purchased this beatuful instrument recent (or even if not)  it's likely still under warranty. I suggest you contact Maton customer service before attempting any cleaning or repair.

• Member ID:  205
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

I would not be worried about the blemish. The top will darken with age and it will only be noticeable to you.

Yes, a nice looking guitar.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

I agree with Neil's advice.  If you purchased it new, and registered the guitar with Maton, you should be covered if there isn't a simple home remedy fix.  

Before I sit down to practice, especially with one of my acoustics, I put on a light cotton, long-sleeved shirt and roll the cuffs up.  That's year round protection from grime/sweat buildup and my sensory distain for moisture on a glossy top.  Wiping the guitar and strings down after every session is also part of the routine.  

Give a shout out to Collin Hill for Maton coding, that's his stock and trade.

Best of luck,

Bryan

• Like 1

• Member ID:  23

Thanks all..  I'll give them a call this week and see what they have to say about dealing with this and care for its future.  On previously owned guitars I used a very weak soap and water wipe down, but they did not have a stained finish like this one dose.  @Blue Dog Maton lists it as a Honey Stain Satin finish.  I'll see what they say this week about cleaning this type of wood / stained top and post their response.  

@NeilES335 . @Plantsman13  my first thoughts also were don't do anything to make it worse or void a warranty if one is needed and contact the guitar store or Maton.   I'm looking forward to it aging / darkening etc with age  @Don .   I''ve read that as tops age the sound quality also can get better...not sure about sweat from arms and how that helps or hurts sound quality...

@Plantsman13I've seen videos of Collin HIll with his Maton when I was looking at purchasing one..If Maton lists this portion of it's Model descriptor on their site I have missed it.   If Collin visits this Forum I do not know his user name to ask him.    I'll ask Maton about it this week when I call them.  Thanks

Edited by JayKayWright
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  15
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

2 hours ago, JayKayWright said:

Thanks all..  I'll give them a call this week and see what they have to say about dealing with this and care for its future.  On previously owned guitars I used a very weak soap and water wipe down, but they did not have a stained finish like this one dose.  @Blue Dog Maton lists it as a Honey Stain Satin finish.  I'll see what they say this week about cleaning this type of wood / stained top and post their response.  

@NeilES335 . @Plantsman13  my first thoughts also were don't do anything to make it worse or void a warranty if one is needed and contact the guitar store or Maton.   I'm looking forward to it aging / darkening etc with age  @Don .   I''ve read that as tops age the sound quality also can get better...not sure about sweat from arms and how that helps or hurts sound quality...

@Plantsman13I've seen videos of Collin HIll with his Maton when I was looking at purchasing one..If Maton lists this portion of it's Model descriptor on their site I have missed it.   If Collin visits this Forum I do not know his user name to ask him.    I'll ask Maton about it this week when I call them.  Thanks

On 2nd look, this issue does appear to be a finishing defect in my humble opinion... so I wouldn't touch it any further until Maton replies to your inquiry. The dealer where you purchased it should assist you as well.

True, natural finish guitars do develop a certain "patina" over many years, but they should not look like the "stain" your's has. ( Some people are "excreters" meaning their perspiration is slightly acidic, which could react with the wood finish. )

The tone also usually improves with age too; often described as "opening up" with play and proper storage. 

Btw..I have a 50 yrs old Ovation acoustic with a Sitka spruce natural finish top, in excellent condition that has a slight patina to it (with no stains and I often play with short sleeves) that has a marvelous tone i consider better than many much more expensive newer guitars.

Edited by NeilES335
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

My opinion is,

Your arm is polishing the surface giving it a glossy look to the rest of the guitar. 

The corner of my Simon and Patrick has a similar polished look

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

I use water with a little dish detergent. I also use a high quality guitar polish. I finish with Turtle Wax Express Shine. I wipe down the guitar with a dry guitar polishing cloth after every play.

I don't like the looks of that stain, it isn't likely to get better I you can't remove it. Definitely contact Maton for advice.

• Like 1

@Randy120   That covers my routine as well with the omission of the guitar polish.  Taylor recommended the Turtle Wax Express Shine (no silicone).  Why use the guitar polish and TWE-shine together?

Bryan

@NeilES335   When quality tonewoods and time behave well together...it can be magical!   Kind of like Forrest Gump and peas and carrots.  ?

On a serious note:   The thought of someone like Vince Gill playing a Vintage Martin of the “dreams” era does give one goosebumps!     Makes me think of a Stradivarius in the gifted hands of a world-class violinist... it would be loverly.    ?

I was thrilled toj enjoy a stringed quartet perform in Bavaria, in a marble hall, some works from Mozart and Brahms.    It was heaven on earth.   Our traveling companion posted on FB just how much he preferred Willie Nelson!   Go figure. ?

Edited by Plantsman13
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Plantsman13 said:

@Randy120   That covers my routine as well with the omission of the guitar polish.  Taylor recommended the Turtle Wax Express Shine (no silicone).  Why use the guitar polish and TWE-shine together?

Bryan

I use the polish more often then dish detergent. Polish is not wax. Polish is for removing surface contaminants. Express Shine is carnauba wax for a light protective coating. Greg Voros recommended Express Shine, and I have used it for years now. I use fretboard conditioner a couple of times a year. I polish and wax before the fretboard conditioner because it gives an extra layer of protection to cleanup any conditioner that might get on the finish by mistake. Express Shine does a great job on glossy surfaces, and it works great on my Gibson Les Paul Faded Cherry also. Express Shine makes the neck feel great too. I would not recommend Express Shine for matte surfaces. 

Edited by Randy120
  • Thanks 1

@Randy120  Thanks for taking the time to clear up my question.  I don't use polish, opting to use the detergent followed by the Express Shine.  I use a low tack tape to mask the sound hole when 0000 steel wool is used to polish and clean the frets.  I use a wide, soft-bristled paint brush to carefully remove any residue.  All of the fretwork is worked on after applying the Express Shine as you mention.  

Enjoy your evening,

Bryan

• Like 1

@Plantsman13 I also use the blue painters tape to cover the sound hole and protect the pickup magnets from the 0000 steel wool. My best paintbrush is the one for the guitars. ? 

I was about to email Maton again when I finally received a response to my concerns about the satin finish on my guitar.   They emailed me some info ie.."there is really no way  avoid this with the satin finish" .   I haven't  tried any more cleaning on the guitars top yet and have been wearing a long sleeve shirt until now.  I was hoping for some of Matons cleaning tips to go along with some of the other posts here on this topic but did not receive any from them. I have emailed them again specifically requesting cleaning information they recommend for this satin finished top.   If I receive any I'll attempt to clean it sometime this week and post a pic of here after cleaning it. 

Unfortunately there has been another incident with the guitars top.  I originally was given a Maton guitar case with the guitar that had a broken hinge.  The guitar case worked fine and had no other problems.  The guitar store ordered me a new one and I now am using it.  This case doesn't always stay open when I lift the lid and one of the tops hinges  came down on the guitar when I was removing it slightly damaging the top (this is all my fault and am detailing how this happened not making excuses) .   I'll post some pics after cleaning it .   Thanks for all the help.   Here is Maton response. 

Thank you for contacting us

Any polishing or buffing will shine up the satin finish and make it look gloss

Unfortunately  there is really no way  avoid this with the satin finish

Thank you

The Maton Team

• Like 1

As I said above, your arm is polishing the top, my cedar top S&P does it as well.

As for the nic, enjoy each one, means you love your guitar.

• Like 1

I stumbled onto this sound advise for cleaning satin finish guitars from Music Nomad earlier today...  now that i've got the first couple faux pas out of the way I feel better...;)

• Like 1

I've re-emailed Maton this message requesting cleaning tips for the satin finished top:

Thanks for the reply.  I've been reading about this and trying to discover the best way to clean and take care of the top and body etc...   If possible could you help me with some products Maton recommends for the satin finished  top that I have on my EBG808CTE
What product would you use to clean the top?
Aproximatly how often can I clean the top with a cleaning product to slow down any polishing and / or dirty appearance etc...?
I couldn't find any info on your web site that discusses this, if you have an area on your site or someone elses site you could send me to I would greatly appreciate it.  
I'm enjoying playing this guitar so much...  Thank you for building this wonderful instrument for me.  Also, I read what the 808CTE stands for on your website but can't find what the EBG stands for.  

Matons email back to me:

Thank you for your email.

We do not recommend using a polish or oil on a satin finished guitar such as yours. Rather if it does need some cleaning, only if it happens to get dirty, we recommend using a very slightly damp cloth (with water, but squeezed out so almost dry). Any polishing will buff up the satin finish and make it look shiny, it should only need minimal care.

...and thats all she wrote.   So it's a damp cloth as others have posted for cleaning.  Has any one tried using the Music Nomad product / brush / cloth they sell in the Youtube video I posted previous to this one to clean your Satin top?  I think I may just use the water and cloth for now.  My guitar top looks about the same still after wiping with a damp cloth, maybe had I caught it earlier with regular wipe downs it might have slowed or stopped it, who knows, it still sounds great!!!  Thanks for all the helpful replies.

• Like 1

I would say that isn't great support from Maton. I suppose the finish could be so thin that it offered little protection. The blemish looks like it just maybe caused by sweat under your arm while playing. You should always wipe down you guitar with a guitar polishing cloth. You can always use water with a little dish washing liquid in a spray bottle during string changes. The daily wipe down is critical. 

As I said above, your arm is polishing the top, my cedar top S&P does it as well.

As for the nic, enjoy each one, means you love your guitar

Maton's are nice guitars, nor are they cheap guitars.

If you don't trust what the manufacturer and their info

Email Greg Voros at Gruhn's and take his advice not ours

• Like 1

Tommy Emanuels's Maton looks "well loved" ... ?

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

At a Maton presentation several of us attended last year during NAMM week, Tommy told us he uses a screwdriver to scrape the finish off the lower bout when he gets a new guitar. ?

• Like 1

@Dave White  I find a screwdriver to be an interesting choice for such a job.  Does he do this to get more volume or is it a personal preference on feel?  My thoughts go to one of the auto detailing compounds in a medium grit, finished with a fine grit to remove the finish.  Either way, I get squeamish at the prospect of doing it on one of my acoustics...but again, I will never play a guitar as he does.  ?

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, Plantsman13 said:

@Dave White  I find a screwdriver to be an interesting choice for such a job.  Does he do this to get more volume or is it a personal preference on feel?  My thoughts go to one of the auto detailing compounds in a medium grit, finished with a fine grit to remove the finish.  Either way, I get squeamish at the prospect of doing it on one of my acoustics...but again, I will never play a guitar as he does.  ?

@Plantsman13 - he does it to enhance the scratching and percussive stuff that are part of many of his tunes.

• Thanks 1