• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Steve is teaching a guitar training workshop for band directors and so there will be no Live Lesson tonight.  But he said we would be back next week.

So let's all use this time tonight for practicing!  No slacking off!!😮 No TV!😉

I'm going to be working on this one really cool blues rhythm.  Kind of a funky thing.  And I've gone back and am re-working on pentatonic scales.

What about everyone else?

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101
  • Device:  iPhone

4 hours ago, matonanjin said:

Steve is teaching a guitar training workshop for band directors and so there will be no Live Lesson tonight.  But he said we would be back next week.

So let's all use this time tonight for practicing!  No slacking off!!😮 No TV!😉

I'm going to be working on this one really cool blues rhythm.  Kind of a funky thing.  And I've gone back and am re-working on pentatonic scales.

What about everyone else?

Ron, I will spend some more time tonight  learning the  ins and outs of Reaper.

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

Hey @Wim VD1  There are lots of good videos on Reaper's website to learn from. "Kenny Gioa" explains it pretty well. It can get pretty complex, and I admit I got a bit flustered with it in the beginning, but in the end to do a simple guitar recording isn't overly difficult. A lot of the stuff is customization, which isnt really needed. 

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  27
  • Birthday:  12/12/1957
  • Device:  Macintosh

I will spend more time on Lesson three of the Fingerstyle course.     Just about ready for “Blackbird” so believe me, I can use the extra practice time!

10 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Hey @Wim VD1  There are lots of good videos on Reaper's website to learn from. "Kenny Gioa" explains it pretty well. It can get pretty complex, and I admit I got a bit flustered with it in the beginning, but in the end to do a simple guitar recording isn't overly difficult. A lot of the stuff is customization, which isnt really needed. 

Hi Neil,

I checked out the video series from Kenny Goia "recording your band" and those gave me most of the info I needed to record my first tune in Reaper.

Thanks for your earlier advice to use Reaper instead of Pro Tools First. I think learning from your experience saved me a lot of frustration and time.

Do you get your nice jazz tone on your latest recordings from using standard Reaper plug-ins? 

Wim.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wim VD1 said:

Hi Neil,

I checked out the video series from Kenny Goia "recording your band" and those gave me most of the info I needed to record my first tune in Reaper.

Thanks for your earlier advice to use Reaper instead of Pro Tools First. I think learning from your experience saved me a lot of frustration and time.

Do you get your nice jazz tone on your latest recordings from using standard Reaper plug-ins? 

Wim.

Hi Wim

I'm very glad that whatever experience shared has been of some help you. The biggest lesson learned is that recording is a natural progression for guitarists and musicians of all stripes. Recording it is however,  a whole new skill set that takes time and patience to learn. I have barely scratched the surface!

Regarding the jazz tone... As you say, Reaper has dozens of standard "plug ins" for immediate use. And, you've likely discovered there are many more that are available Free throught the Software "Plug in Collective". These cover a huge range of effects and sounds.  My advice would be simple. For your use, (recording yourself on guitar)... Dont waste a lot of time downloading ALL the accounts (like I did), because many are of no use in this application.

After much trial and error, I found that the guitar is the best "tone tool" you have. I tried several different plugins on my recordings, with mixed results. But after all that, on my most recent recording, I found my best "jazz tone" was with NO effects at all! Just my Gibson ES-137 on the front (humbucker) pickup, with the volume on 10 (full out) and tone on 4. I kept the input volume down to about 11 oclock on the interface, (to reduce distortion).

If you'd like to discuss other recording tecniques etc. we could continue by P.M. if you wish.

BTW Great job on that hymn... beautiful!

19 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Hi Wim

I'm very glad that whatever experience shared has been of some help you. The biggest lesson learned is that recording is a natural progression for guitarists and musicians of all stripes. Recording it is however,  a whole new skill set that takes time and patience to learn. I have barely scratched the surface!

Regarding the jazz tone... As you say, Reaper has dozens of standard "plug ins" for immediate use. And, you've likely discovered there are many more that are available Free throught the Software "Plug in Collective". These cover a huge range of effects and sounds.  My advice would be simple. For your use, (recording yourself on guitar)... Dont waste a lot of time downloading ALL the accounts (like I did), because many are of no use in this application.

After much trial and error, I found that the guitar is the best "tone tool" you have. I tried several different plugins on my recordings, with mixed results. But after all that, on my most recent recording, I found my best "jazz tone" was with NO effects at all! Just my Gibson ES-137 on the front (humbucker) pickup, with the volume on 10 (full out) and tone on 4. I kept the input volume down to about 11 oclock on the interface, (to reduce distortion).

If you'd like to discuss other recording tecniques etc. we could continue by P.M. if you wish.

BTW Great job on that hymn... beautiful!

Hi Neil,

Indeed, your Gibson ES-137 is a great instrument with beautiful Jazz tone, so that will do the job without much processing.

I want to get a good Jazz tone out of my solid body PRS S2, so I will play around with the guitar settings and eventually some plug-ins to get closer.

I have just started session 7 (Fingerstyle Jazz) of the fingerstyle course, and look forward to learn the song "Back home in Indiana".

Wim.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  273
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  6

Hi @Wim VD1, @NeilES335 I am still trying to determine the best way to input my guitar signal into my audio interface, weather directly plugged in, out from my Amp, or some other way.  I would be interested. In any comments or suggestions.

Thanks Skip

@Skip RussellI think it really depends on what type of guitar you're playing, the pickups and your own playing style. So far with all of my recordings ive plugged the guitar directly into the interface, using either my Godin full hollow archtop (p90 pup) or my Gibson ES137 semi hollow archtop (hb pup). After experimenting with some pluggins I concluded "less is more". I have a mic to record using my amp ('63 Princeton Reverb Reissue) but have not trried it yet. You'll just have to experiment with your own gear to see as there are no hard and fast rules. 

On 7/18/2020 at 1:56 AM, Skip Russell said:

Hi @Wim VD1, @NeilES335 I am still trying to determine the best way to input my guitar signal into my audio interface, weather directly plugged in, out from my Amp, or some other way.  I would be interested. In any comments or suggestions.

Thanks Skip

My amp is an old solid state, so I always record electric directly plugged into a DAW. I am quite familiar with Garage Band, and now I am exploring Reaper.

Wim.