Not at the Guitar Gathering? What are you doing (while wishing you were there)?

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Besides @UncleHammy and me, who is at home wishing you were in Nashville right now?  If so, what are you doing to ease the pain (and envy) of not being there?  Guitar-wise of course!  Whether you were hoping to go to GG or not, let's share what everyone is working on this week. 

1) I am close to finishing Session 13.  If not today, tomorrow I'm going to finish "Jamming The Blues", one of the two "play along" songs at the end of the session.  I was practicing it a couple days ago and my wife walked by and commented on how it sounded good.  Made my day!?  I think it was @Triple-o that posted about "Johnny's E Blues", the other "play along" song, took him a while.  I'm hoping I can knock it out this week.

2) "Learn All You Can".  Since I am working "Playing the Blues", I am working a TrueFire course by Corey Congilio called "30 Beginner Blues Licks You MUST Know".   (Appropriately enough Corey was one of the guest instructors last year).  This is a great, fun course for a beginner.  In addition to the licks, it gets one started on bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibrato, etc.  So I think, I hope, it's going to give me a bit of a head start when I get to the next session, Session 14, "Giving Your Playing Some Style".  I am now on lick 13.  I'm going to finish it and 14 by week's end.

3) I'm going to step up my practice schedule a little this week. 50% increase.  Being old and retired I have the luxury of practicing almost all I want, limited only by the occasional "Honey Do". 

4) It's not anything different or special this week but I am going to my weekly guitar jam tonight.  I've commented on this before.  This is a fun couple hours each week with a couple good guys.

So what are you working?  Anything special?  Even if it is not not different this week, let's just everyone share what you're working on learning materials wise or anything you're doing guitar wise. We haven't done this for a while.  Outside lesson?  Jamming?  Writing a song?  Recording?  Anything?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  42
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  11/30/1953

I would have been there except I am retiring sunday after 40 yrs of service. trying to plan a proper guitar practice program given I will not much to do on Monday.   Discipline is needed to keep focus.  Also, learning songs to play and sing so I can entertain at senior homes in fall. I still want to be in Nashville. I am truly jealous.

@revster, congratulations on retirement!!  But the question is, if you're jealous, what are you doing this week? Are you increasing or otherwise changing your practice routine?  Are you doing anything else with the guitar this week?

• Member ID:  42
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  11/30/1953

thanks,  closing my office with all my musical stuff  ( like 3 guitars and 2 amps,  and a ton books,etc ) bringing together with all I have at home ( much ,much more ) is daunting. Sometimes to continue our musical journey is setting up proper practice places inspiring us to grow. If I want to go back to Nashville in 2019  ( as I do)  bringing order to my present chaos is needed to help me get there next year, and to continue my journey with Steve and our musical family.

• Member ID:  60
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  06/22/1968

Yes, I wish I was at the Gathering. I would love to meet Steve and the members of the gang in person.

I am working on several things these days:

- Diatonic Minor Progressions an Minor Scales (resource "Chord-Tone Soloing" by Barrett Tagliarino)

- Session 20 Bonus Materials (All the chords you need to know). I plan to finish the course somewhere in August.

- "Don't know why" by Norah Jones. Last song from The Song Hits. Great fingerstyle song.

It's good to work on different things in parallel, if you have enough time to spend.

Wim.

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

Amazing day today! So glad to see everyone and learn so much. My mind is kinda blown at this point. I loved seeing and meeting Christie Lenee as well, what an amazing talent and a beautiful person as well. 

Such an inspiring day one! Wish you were all here, but glad you are pushing ahead with your learning all the same!

Edited by colder
  • Like 1

Oh come on people!  Now over 1200 members.  Of those not at the Gathering only revster, Wim and I are working some guitar materials at home?!?!?

• Member ID:  292
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/23/1958

Been sort of a "hit and miss" on guitar the past two months; however, did a "kick start" in the seat of the pants last week. Been spending too much time on computer tracking the news but not discussing that on here, and it can get addictive. Have broken that addiction. Aside from some other interests: grandchildren out of school, competitive shooting, swimming/biking/walking, spending much more time in music room. So, , , back on regular practice routine again: Stretch first, Scale workouts, starting back on a TrueFire Course,  working on a few new songs to play/sing. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

@matonanjin  Okay, you win. ?

Spent a few days in Spring Green, WI to tour Frank Lloyd Wright home and architecture school (Taliesin Estate Tour).  Really cool ideas.  OBTW, he was skilled at piano (tour guide claimed he owned five (5) pianos and mostly grand style along with a sister who taught piano lessons) and accepted students based on their musical background with required performances in front of the student body.  Claimed a musically-oriented architect could better release the real beauty in design for others to enjoy.  He had a garden wall designed in the shape of a musical note at his home.

As for musical studies, Steve's Jazz Workout / Finger-style Jazz lesson have been occupying my efforts to a larger degree.  The shapes on each string are more manageable now, so starting to associate the names better with the shapes to attempt more of his exercise progressions.

I purchased Joe Robinson's Trufire course (a few months back) and find his finger gymnastics amazing to attempt after five lessons.  He can stretch his fingers with some of the best.

Strumming technique is really on my plate these days as well.  I want to get to the point excessive thinking is removed so I can enjoy just playing along with others.

Last, but not least, my obsession with acoustic blues drives me forward.  David Hamburger is my inspiration and several of his Trufire courses are almost finished.  Acoustic Magazine featured Mississippi John Hurt recently and his Coffee Blues tab was provided.  Must admit, getting that "feeling down" is not easy.  ?

On a side note, John Sebastian claims his group, The Lovin' Spoonful, got their name from this song's lyric.. "I wanna see my baby 'bout a lovin' spoon.  About a lovin' spoonful..."

I alternate my daily practice sessions with these goals to keep my focus while my guitar is in my hands.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

I just finished choir season last Saturday.. that's something like 25 choirs I've played since Sept. my hand tendons are getting a much needed break..

Dare I say.. I'm not playing???? 

but I finally took out the Theory sections of LMG.. and started to try and memorize what I should have been memorizing all along..

Suffering guitar withdrawal but my hand might be better off if a took a couple of weeks off, and who knows they theory might stick once and for all.. ? LoL..

We've only had 2 kids in the choir all . the director said he wasn't running it in the fall unless the priest specifically said.. I need you back after doing it for 25yrs.

Yes there is a 'hole' and yes if I brought my gear in.. set it up .. nobody would say boo.. until they just saw it was just me.. 

there is no way I'm running a 1 man show choir (this isn't a carol choir anyways)… it is too big of a commitment to be the director of it.. even a 1 person show.. as you need to commit every time with no relief.. you'd never be able to take a weekend off.. I'm fine as a '2nd rhythm' we'll see were I can fit in to the 3 other choirs unless.. ehm I run the 4th..

back to major scales..  

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

On 6/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, Plantsman13 said:

@matonanjin  Okay, you win. ?

Spent a few days in Spring Green, WI to tour Frank Lloyd Wright home and architecture school (Taliesin Estate Tour).  ...

Taliesin?! Now I'm envious! ?‍♀️

• Like 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955

78542219_StringQuartetMusicStand.thumb.jpg.d0c7d42c1e5c538171cd9871ecfaec22.jpg@DianeB  It was a four hour walking tour of the estate.  The most amazing tidbit was his infatuation with the newly developed plywood for the interior purposes.  He didn't spare expenses to give the exterior the proper treatment; but used plywood to construct lamps,  desks, and other interior "design" items.   My wife had a childhood friend in Decatur, IL who lived in a FLW designed home.  It left it's mark on her love of his "prairie" design ideas.   

This is a plywood String Quartet Music Stand he designed for entertaining in his home.

Regards,

Bryan

Edited by Plantsman13
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

Bryan - FLLW's houses certainly are a treat - particularly those at Spring Green where he spent a lot of time and did a lot of experimenting. My favorite is Fallingwater. If you are ever in southwest Pennsylvania, I highly recommend taking a tour.