• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  03/23/1943

My desire is to make some sorta of sense from this post. I'm 75 years old and have been playing about 21/2 years using the L&M course. At present I'm about 2/3 the way through session 9, and must say I really enjoy the guitar. I really enjoy music but it certainly does not come easily. What I lack in ability is made up in commitment, my practice is from 1 to 1/12 hours 7 days a week. Yes I should be further along from where I'm at presently.

Two of my old buddies and their wives whom once lived close but now are separated by many miles plan a reunion this summer. Both my buddies and myself play guitar and it has been suggested we jam together at our reunion. My two friends have played for years mainly gospel and spiritual music. They play with cords only over the lyrics. I believe I can play most of the cords but have never played without structured music. Without music's bpm, measures etc I'm lost. I'm disappointed that I probably won't be able to jam with my old buddies. Seems after my friends played about a year, they were able to play cords over lyrics to some familiar gospel music with ease. Knowing the L&M  course eventually will take me much further along than playing cords over lyrics, disappointed for now. Also I don't sing, making things more difficult.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  15
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  11/12/1962

You can do it even if you strum once for every chord change. then add a few more. just get that foot tapping. good luck .

Ps And have fun!!

Edited by Blue Dog
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  211
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi, Deuce,

Jerry is right. Play guitar with your pals. Dive in. There’s no competition. Play what you can, sit back where you must, but go for it. Sing some background lines or responses until you gain more confidence in your voice.

Please be wary of thoughts like: “Yes I should be further along from where I'm at presently.” How do you know that? How do you know you’re not better than you "should" be? Banish that word “should” from your thinking; it’s the food of disappointment. Practice. Play. Enjoy your friends. Savor it all.

PS / Three or more notes played at the same time is a chord.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  119
  • Followers:  0

Thanks Jerry and Diane for your encouragement. In my inexperience I thought you had to play all the music or none. Though we will only be together for a couple days and probably only play for a couple hours, I will savor the moment. Remember years ago watching these friends play and wishing I could play also. After all these years maybe it really will happen!!!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  Windows

I play what you would call 'chords over lyrics spiritual music' in my church choir.. 

when the director gave me a new song I have never heard before.. I turn to YouTube.. 

if they give you a title of a song; look for guitar based songs, the choral and keyboard based songs don't help a lot but to give a sense of rhythm.

many of my songs have fast chord changes,, chord per beat, my director usually drops some in between chords where I try and play them.

don't look to play the single note melody on songs you haven't practiced unless you're really good at playing single note melodies... (my down fall)

also if they do give you some music.. play the single not melodies to get a sense of strumming time as well

• Member ID:  328
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  01/10/1932

Hi there, young Deuce. I'm 86 and I jam with the best guitarist in this business. And you want to know why that is? It's Steve. That's why his course includes "The Jam Along" CDs. So, here's my suggestion. From today until the reunion, practice 30 minutes each day with Steve on your Jam Alongs. And remember, this reunion is among friends. Lotsa luck.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  275
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979

Using a metronome would be great practice, but the jam along tracks (as well as any other backing tracks you can find online) would be a great way to simulate things. 

When you’re among friends, everyone wants you to succeed. Keep it simple and I bet you’ll be fine. It’s better to underplay than overplay ?

• Like 1

I appreciate the suggestions and support from everyone. Though I use jam along tracks it is a weak area for me. After I complete session 9, will take some time to just do jam along tracks before moving on to session10. 

John Certainly you have been a great model for me. Every time I think my hurdles are age related I remind myself, "but look at John he did it". Will always remember the 3 p's you have often suggested.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

Yes you can! You greatly underestimate how much you can play at session 9. Don't be surprised if you can show your friends a thing or two. 

Put away the sheet music for a little while. Play what you know. Use those jam along CD's. 

I was jamming with some new people this weekend at a party. One of the players goes to live mic nights every month. He played almost everything in C so it was easy to keep up. We played for hours, and had fun!

• Member ID:  56
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  97
  • Days Won:  9

Tap your foot, nod your head, whatever you need to do!  Angus Young (AC/DC) moves his jaw to keep in time.  I stomp my foot, even when I have a drum track already keeping time. 

• Member ID:  146
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19

The best gadget I bought when I was young was a metronome. It has turned out to be great discipline to have to stay in time with it. Steve's Play-Along CDs make playing along to a metronome so much more fun. As ever, start at a slower tempo than you think you need to and speed up when you know that you can comfortably keep in time with a slower tempo.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The deuce said:

I appreciate the suggestions and support from everyone. Though I use jam along tracks it is a weak area for me. After I complete session 9, will take some time to just do jam along tracks before moving on to session10. 

John Certainly you have been a great model for me. Every time I think my hurdles are age related I remind myself, "but look at John he did it". Will always remember the 3 p's you have often suggested.

Well if it makes you feel better, I’m not yet 40 and this stuff is still very hard for me! It’s just hard period, for anyone. It takes a lot of time and determination. Those qualities can be found in anyone of any age so I believe anyone can become a good player as long as they have those two things... and it sounds like you do!

• Member ID:  78
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  83
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  01/18/1943

Hi Deuce,

I am 75 and started playing a couple years ago.  Sometime I will tell everyone how Steve has changed my life.  But remember one thing with your buddies ... everyone loves to teach and they probably would pee their pants to show you how to play the chords etc. on the guitar like they do. Elevate them and you have fun!!!

• Member ID:  53
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  02/17/1966

There's nothing that will inspire you more than playing with other folk. These people are old friends and you will no doubt get a ton of encouragement from them.

Go for it :)

Certainly with everyone's encouragement I'm going to give it a go with my buddies. This will happen in July so have a little time to work on some things. Brad, can't hardly believe there is two of us doing this guitar thing at our early age!! Guess we don't want to have a lot of "I wish I would have's" at the end of life's journey.

• Member ID:  328
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  95
  • Birthday:  01/10/1932

Damnit, Deuce, stop looking at the "end of life's journey." We'll get there when we get there. Heaven is my home, but I ain't homesick. Lotsa luck.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

3 hours ago, The deuce said:

Brad, can't hardly believe there is two of us doing this guitar thing at our early age!! Guess we don't want to have a lot of "I wish I would have's" at the end of life's journey.

Not 75, as you two are, but I'll hit the 7-0 next month.  @The deuce,  If you want to expand your "early age" range by a few years there are more than you might think on here.  I wish there was a way we could sort the members list by age.  But I think that you would be surprised by the number of us "advance" learners compared to the so called kids!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 6:35 AM, The deuce said:

Certainly with everyone's encouragement I'm going to give it a go with my buddies. This will happen in July so have a little time to work on some things. Brad, can't hardly believe there is two of us doing this guitar thing at our early age!! Guess we don't want to have a lot of "I wish I would have's" at the end of life's journey.

Nice! Glad you're going to give it a go!

I think more experienced players are probably happy to jam with someone who can just play chords behind them while they play leads. If you learn a 12-bar pattern in a few different keys, maybe with some common blues variations and a turnaround or two, you could take your turn around the campfire and have fun. 

When I mess up, I just laugh it off and try again :)

Edited by colder

• Member ID:  401
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There are two Yahoo channels that I frequent.  In Youtube search "munson music" and "lyric chord".  Both are play and sing alongs that give you the chords as you go. 

I play along and try to look away and keep playing. It's something I just haven't been able to master.  But every once in a while I surprise myself.  They have both been very helpful.  I'm sure you can find songs you are familiar with.  Munson being the easier of the two with simple versions of the songs.