• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  09/19/1953

I am the bottom person and haven't gone back to the tunnel yet.  I'm in love with the idea of playing guitar but get too discouraged to continue with the practices 

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

@randyh1953Maybe you need to use a spoon instead of a pickaxe! Some folks try to dig in a bit too hard expecting to hit the "diamond" level overnight. You need a positive attitude towards playing, and the persistence to keep at it. How about trying just 5 or maybe 10 minutes a day? Every day.  Most folks can find that in their day.  Leave your guitar out where you cant help but see it. You'll be surprised how much progress you'll make, a "chip" at a time. For most people, learning guitar is a life long pursuit.

If you'd like some inspiration on patience and persistence, check out posts from my buddy @Eracer_Team-DougH . Despite a heavy schedule he practices in his car at lunch every day, (including blistering hot summers and sub-zero winters), and wherever and whenever he can...and he's been doing it for years... 

There are many others here with similar stories... So pick up that guitar, open the lesson books, and get busy. Soon you'll be telling us how much good progress you've made.

You can do it!

Edited by NeilES335
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@NeilES335 is spot on about using a spoon instead of a pickaxe. It's exactly what Thomas Sterner calls "the four S's": Simplify - Small - Slow - Short.

• Like 4

• Member ID:  24
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/02/1964

Those that have read any of my posts know I'm a lover of encouragement.  Thanks for the Post Randy!

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

It's taken me all day to think of something to say.

@NeilES335 did hit the nail on the head

I'm the epitome of of perserverence. And I'm using a spoon.. 

I practice every day, anywhere I can: van or car.

This week we've been at 34c and back in February it was -15c outside. (And no I'm not running the a/c and didn't run the heat that much in the car)

Im not anywhere near an amazing player like some on this forum. Far from it.

The church choir I've been in for 4 seasons now, take a lot of my attention in playing, over LMG,  blues class or songs. With 200 to 1500 people listening to me play.. I better get 50% right.

Even if its "only " strumming the songs in choir (I do the occasional finger pick too), many songs are a chord a beat.

I'm not doing lead solos or anything,  but I'm playing live.

Muted chords adds a percussive sound to songs, 

Someday I'll be able to play a cool blues song with a neat pentatonic solo... someday...   

For now, it's time for me to pull out my tablet that will be wedged in the open glove box, the page turning pedal on the floor. The battery powered amp is the the footwell of the back seat. And my $50 strat clone and practice this weeks songs..  last 3 choirs of the year.

Sometime I'll play an amazing solo...  sometime.....

• Like 4

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

I am approaching the 10 year mark, and I played almost everyday. I still haven't caught Jimmy Page, but I can play the guitar. There have been many times where I didn't seem to be progressing, but I was. Then the magic day would happen when some new sound came out of the guitar. I have been working on pentatonic scales, three notes on a string, and learning the entire neck for months now. Slowly, but surely I am making progress. You get out what you put in. No one ever became a great guitar player without putting in the work. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  112

Thanks for all the uplifting words guys n gal(s), I really appreciate it.  My problem is I've played drums for what's now 51 years and I'm fairly efficient at it. It kills me to suck at beginning guitar level, don't know what to do about that. And I'm missing the first joint of my left index finger, (I'm right-handed) it's awkward. I've seen guys play with their feet in videos, I've entertained thoughts of playing dobro or weissenborn and think that's limiting as far as instruction is available. Nobody's fault but mine. I'm retired, got time on my hands, got good enough instruments and a loving wife who would love hear me play. I'll try to follow y'all's suggestions about starting little at a time and embracing the "suck", no other way to put it, it's all on me. Thanks again people.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

1 hour ago, randyh1953 said:

Thanks for all the uplifting words guys n gal(s), I really appreciate it.  My problem is I've played drums for what's now 51 years and I'm fairly efficient at it. It kills me to suck at beginning guitar level, don't know what to do about that. And I'm missing the first joint of my left index finger, (I'm right-handed) it's awkward. I've seen guys play with their feet in videos, I've entertained thoughts of playing dobro or weissenborn and think that's limiting as far as instruction is available. Nobody's fault but mine. I'm retired, got time on my hands, got good enough instruments and a loving wife who would love hear me play. I'll try to follow y'all's suggestions about starting little at a time and embracing the "suck", no other way to put it, it's all on me. Thanks again people.

Have a look at what Phil Keaggy does with a finger joint missing (albeit on his right hand). Lot's of us "mature" guitar players have arthritis in our hands to an manage ok...

• Like 1

• Member ID:  205
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/1/2018 at 11:50 AM, Randy120 said:

I am approaching the 10 year mark, and I played almost everyday. I still haven't caught Jimmy Page, but I can play the guitar. There have been many times where I didn't seem to be progressing, but I was. Then the magic day would happen when some new sound came out of the guitar. I have been working on pentatonic scales, three notes on a string, and learning the entire neck for months now. Slowly, but surely I am making progress. You get out what you put in. No one ever became a great guitar player without putting in the work. 

Sounds  like my story except I am 4 years behind. 

I have started taking group lessons in slow blues with this guy and my motivation and practice sessions are a lot better.

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Erich Andreas in Randy's post above gets to the chase quickly, when he addresses our lust for instant gratification in our "ego-centric world". George Leonard and Thomas Sterner have the antidote. It's taken time for me to internalize it, but this remedy works, and it's been around for centuries: Process, not product. Feed your soul, not your ego. Be in the present. And watch your flower grow.

• Like 3

• Member ID:  104
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  9

A lot of people will use their spare time to sit in front of a television and watch someting just because it is on. Most of the time they do not enjoy the program and it achieves nothing. It does not feed their soul or activate their brain or give them any sense of purpose.

I am battling with osteoarthritis in both of my hands and I also have trigger finger to cope with, this means that I am now unable to do things on the guitar that I could a year ago. But I am never going to give up. I am finding different ways of doing things. Yes I will never be a great guitarist BUT I am a guitarist and it feels good, it feeds my soul and my brain in a way that television never could.

Edited by Nutty1
  • Like 2

@DianeB "Process, not product. Feed your soul, not your ego." 

I like that quote. I think you have it just right. Too much instant gratification leads to shallow experiences. Guitar is not easy, but the rewards are great.

@Nutty1 You definitely have some challenges on your hand. Keep fighting the good fight! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  112

After making a schedule of available time in my day, I find I have a lot of time since I'm retired. I sat down at my stool and picked up a guitar, dusty ol thing, and it felt foreign to a point of terror to me. I think that's natural since I haven't touched a guitar in a year. I'm starting over from scratch, I guess. 

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

3 hours ago, randyh1953 said:

After making a schedule of available time in my day, I find I have a lot of time since I'm retired. I sat down at my stool and picked up a guitar, dusty ol thing, and it felt foreign to a point of terror to me. I think that's natural since I haven't touched a guitar in a year. I'm starting over from scratch, I guess. 

The important thing is to start. Enjoy your journey!