• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1995

Hello everyone ,

So I’m currently doing the triads live lesson and have memorised the major shapes and everything’s all nice and good. 
But there’s problems with right hand technique. 
Whenever I strum, I keep hitting the “undesirable” strings. 
As in while playing 1-3 string set triads. I keep hitting the 4th string accidentally. 
How do I improve my technique. Can you guide me through some exercises?

Thanks!

• Member ID:  14
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951
  • Device:  iPhone

I tried to think of actual exercises but found myself stumped. Playing only 2 or 3 strings is something I just do by rote anymore but a couple of thoughts. When playing strings 1-3., try to mute the D string with your G string fingering, that is let it slightly touch the D while fingering the G. Concentrate on strumming only the the treble strings. If you strike the D, it is muted. When playing the internal triads, you must also mute the adjacent unplayed  strings with your fretting fingers and release the strum early to avoid the E . You can play triads on A, D and G also but that is not something a Steve taught in his series. Practice very slowly until you have a feel for fretting and strumming control to strike only the fretted and muting the unwanted. Maybe consider using only one triad form at a time up and down the fretboard without changing shapes, then try one change only until the strumming movement becomes more natural and the accuracy improves Good luck. 
Greg

Edited by gotto
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

@ak0693 String muting is a skill that you will have to develop over time. In this case, you would mute the adjacent string (the D) by just touching it with the end /tip of your finger that is playing the G String. It's not being sloppy, but deliberate. Other string muting methods will vary with the application, such as using the palm / heel of your strumming hand. This is usually done to mute all or most of the strings from ringing out with a type of strumming pattern.  With the Triads, you can also practice controling your strumming so that it does not cover all the strings, but just the strings being played.  Hope that helps you.. Neil

Ps Steve K has addressed this matter several times in Live Lessons and elsewhere, so you may find it there or searching this site.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,547
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6

Thanks for the replies!

I have always found muting a bit hard. Will look into it on YouTube. 
Thanks!!

• Member ID:  298
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Android

I found this series really good and to be honest I am exercising regularly with it and to some extent  still working on it.  It adds so much and I am using to to  learn the fretboard more. So it takes time and needs committed working on - for me. I am generally a picker using the thumb and first two figures for the triads and it works fine for learning the shapes and the notes in the fretboard. I am however keen to improve my pick technique so I  am do more of this too. I  find the triads needs a restricted attack - tighter wrist? rather than what I would call strumming.  But that may just be me! 

• Member ID:  1,547
  • Topic Count:  6

I’m hooked on these workouts as well! Finally helped me learn the fretboard. 
I practice fingerpick as well. I do a round of fingerpicking, arpeggios, hybrid picking and strumming in all keys, but having problems with strumming. 
I want to do strumming like Steve does in the triads workout video. But keep hitting wrong(extra) strings. 

Practiced muting, but I found that a controlled movement of the right hand made it possible. Kinda hard though.