• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Macintosh

I have an Epiphone ES-175 Premium Pro. I don't believe it is currently in production. I bought it about 4 years ago. The finish is literally peeling off in two places, and cracking in others. This started about two years ago. I can see bare wood where the neck joins the body and back.  I sent photos of what is happening to Gibson Service. Three times before I got an answer, and then the answer was, "Sorry, we don't see that as a defect." I should mention that the guitar rarely leaves the house, is kept in a climate controlled case, has never been shipped or dropped. 

Now, Epiphone has a very nice label that says, "Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects."  The guitar sounds fantastic, and I have no intention of trading it in, but I am extremely bothered by the response from Gibson.  Has anyone had a similar experience with Gibson, and/or does anyone have a contact that might actually help me?  I have been a good Epi customer, have owned six of them, but now I have a really bad taste in my mouth. 

Advice, anyone?

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

on the Gibson forum a few years ago had a member list about 30 things that wouldn't be covered under their 'lifetime warranty'

it was pretty much the whole guitar.

Gibson relies on their dealers to be the middle man for repairs, I haven't heard of them saying sure send the guitar back to Memphis and we'll fix it.. usually people have to bring it to a dealer.. like GC.. their tech's then work out what's wrong or if it needs to go back to Gibson for overhaul..

if it does get into Gibson for repair then it might be there for about 9-12mnths.

never talked to their customer service but with the decline past couple of years of Henry's leadership, bankruptcy etc. they probably don't have the best customer service department around at the moment.

try calling them direct instead of emails..

p.s. for us working stiff's life seems normal (I know you're in your office to work too) for those that are home and esp Customer Service reps' they're working from home.. so Call center's are not the same at the moment.

Greg Voros at Gruhn's would be the guy I'd hit up for repair but Gruhn's is closed right now too. 

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

I had a bad pickup on my Gibson Les Paul back in 2009, and Gibson replaced it for free.

I would have to see pictures of the guitar. Some Gibson and Epiphone guitars have a nitrocellulose finish which ages differently and requires more care. 

I regularly clean my guitars. I also use Turtle Wax Express Shine for a light wax protection. 

You should take it directly to a Gibson Authorized Service in your area so they can see it up close.