Are you getting a lot of playing in while socially distanced?

colder

• Member ID:  275
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  07/17/1979
  • Device:  Macintosh

Are you getting a lot of playing in? What are you working on? Have you chosen this time to get into something new? How are you spending this time?

These are strange days, I know they have been personally quite stressful and anxious for me - it's been difficult for me to want to go pick up the guitar at times. But it is a great mindfulness activity, and it does allow us a way to escape for a time and continue to learn and grow.

Just wanted to say hello and that I hope all of the friends here are finding time in our lives for guitar.

• Like 5

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

I'm getting less, not even my car practice. 

The company I work for supplies computers to the large banks in Canada,  the banks requested literally thousands of computers setup from us.

I'm working 12 hr days 5 days a week and 8hr weekends. 

Trucks are not inspected for produce, medical supplies or TVs or computers. 

As long as the trucks for of computers allowed on the roads , I'm at the office working along with my staff and the warehouse staff , 

But let's see who posts here and in the recording challenge. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  292
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/23/1958

1 hour ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

I'm getting less, not even my car practice. 

The company I work for supplies computers to the large banks in Canada,  the banks requested literally thousands of computers setup from us.

I'm working 12 hr days 5 days a week and 8hr weekends. 

Trucks are not inspected for produce, medical supplies or TVs or computers. 

As long as the trucks for of computers allowed on the roads , I'm at the office working along with my staff and the warehouse staff , 

But let's see who posts here and in the recording challenge. 

Hang in there.

I had already revamped practices about a month or so ago. Actually, without being quantitative, I am practicing more efficiently, and accomplishing more than before to include learning the Mandolin via another website and trying to relearn the Piano which is going very slowly, but who's in a hurry? What's the point! 

I'm also retired, over 60 (62--high virus risk), wife had minor meniscus surgery below the knee. But this doesn't mean that I practice twelve hours a day, but focus on quality practice. Occasionally, we drive to a nearby Reservoir, sit in the vehicle and enjoy being outdoors, read, movie at home, etc.

Thanks for the post Colder as I've been thinking for several weeks now to post a blog about practice. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

I work overnight in a grocery store, so not much change in my life so far other than almost being run over by frantic shoppers when we open. Quarantine is a great idea but among the peeps:  "We want food." So it goes.

Going along through session 5 I thought what the heck: I learned the chords in sessions 5-8 months ago. Why not just practice across those sessions to gain clarity and speed? So that's what I'm doing. Yesterday I got unexpected insight into how to hold my--relaxed--hand during the 5th string barre chord majors practice. I found that I can even play a G with my three fingers as long as I angle my hand so my finger nails are aligned parallel with the strings, rather than trying to edge my fingers in. It seems to be an act of faith that keeps getting better. I had messed up one chord and saw that my three fingers somehow were bunched up on two strings for an F or G on the 5th string, so I thought, Three will be easier. Yep. How fun!

Another thing is that I am quite interested in the Jarod James Nichols Blackstar amp/cab and Epiphone guitar. I watched JJN play and his rationale. He is quite skilled at doing a LOT with a little bit equipment-wise. I started doing about half or a bit more of my practicing fingerstyle. I need to revisit the fingerstyle dvd now. I really love it and it feels natural to me. I first tried fingerstyle with the octave jump exercise expanded to include sharps and flats from session 4 and I just keep exploring. I won't abandon the pick though. I like that too.

Rock On!

• Like 2

For me, I've got some anxiety issues especially around health topics, so this has been a rough season.

I've been listening to a lot of straight ahead jazz lately, it seems to fit the moment and it can be really calming and chill, so I've been studying that on the guitar as well.

There are a lot of great resources online about jazz guitar, but mainly I'm poking around with my Real Book and the app iReal Pro, which Mel Deal told us about at the Guitar Gathering - it's a GREAT app if you're interested in jazz.

We'll all get through this, and for me it'll be by my faith and a big assist from music.

(as Miles' "Blue In Green" plays on Spotify in the background...)

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,935
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/09/1969
  • Device:  Windows

Working at local utility in a control center, my work location and schedule hasn't changed much as of yet. I work 12 hour night shifts so my practice routine on days that I work is limited to between 30 minutes to an hour, whereas, I practice somewhere between 1 to 2 hours or more on my off days. On the nights which I work, I've been working on the Speed & Technique series, as well as, the Triad lessons Steve K graciously showed us. I've been working on the L&M course along with the above on my off days. Depending on how much time I have, I work on some older songs which I had previously learned and partially forgotten. I just received the Blues course and the Song course a couple of days ago and am looking forward to starting those.

I have more resources to practice than time so I am just trying to focus on a few things. A couple of goals which I have in mind during the quarantine include organizing my practice space and doing a better job of keeping track of my daily practices in a journal.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,285
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  3

A couple of months ago I returned my Fender Vintera Telecaster and instead splurged on a boutique Sonnemo Classic Twangster. In the coming months I've really upped my practice routine. Gone through Truefire courses in blues and rock to hopefully feel worthy (and good enough) to play such a nice instrument when it finally arrives.

So, yes. I'm making use of my quarantine.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

I wish that I could say that I am making the most of this time.  But I can't.  Everyday I have great practice plans.  I even print out my intended practice plan.  "I'll get to it in just a little bit. "  And everyday I hear a voice shouting, "Dinner is ready!"  Where did the #$%^ day go to?

Maybe today?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

matonanjin I know the feeling!

• Member ID:  5
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

On 3/24/2020 at 11:33 PM, colder said:

For me, I've got some anxiety issues especially around health topics, so this has been a rough season.

I've been listening to a lot of straight ahead jazz lately, it seems to fit the moment and it can be really calming and chill, so I've been studying that on the guitar as well.

There are a lot of great resources online about jazz guitar, but mainly I'm poking around with my Real Book and the app iReal Pro, which Mel Deal told us about at the Guitar Gathering - it's a GREAT app if you're interested in jazz.

We'll all get through this, and for me it'll be by my faith and a big assist from music.

(as Miles' "Blue In Green" plays on Spotify in the background...)

@colder Thats great you're listening to some jazz lately.

May I suggest you check out: Wes Montgomery' s " Boss Guitar" and " Live at the Half Note"; Joe Pass' " Virtuoso" and the all time classic, Miles Davis, " Kinda Blue" .  

Happy listening; Neil

• Member ID:  50
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Device:  Android

nope, im practicing less. i spend more time cooking and carefully planning meals and working remotely.

im gonna get some playing in today!

Edited by Jusca

20 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

@colder Thats great you're listening to some jazz lately.

May I suggest you check out: Wes Montgomery' s " Boss Guitar" and " Live at the Half Note"; Joe Pass' " Virtuoso" and the all time classic, Miles Davis, " Kinda Blue" .  

Happy listening; Neil

Thanks, Neil! Joe Pass' Virtuoso and Intercontinental are two of my favorite albums. I've listened to Wes Montgomery's "The incredible jazz guitar..." some too.

I'm listening to a lot of the classics now, Miles, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Bill Evans, etc.

3 hours ago, colder said:

Thanks, Neil! Joe Pass' Virtuoso and Intercontinental are two of my favorite albums. I've listened to Wes Montgomery's "The incredible jazz guitar..." some too.

I'm listening to a lot of the classics now, Miles, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Bill Evans, etc.

@colderThats a great list👍On the 'Wes' album's I should have said "Smokin' at the Half Note" .(It is a live recording with the Wynton Kelly Trio, which is a treat in itself)

Also recommend any thing by current day virtuoso, Frank Vignola ( my current jazz teacher).

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  199
  • Days Won:  6

Not too much of a change for me, except more hours are working from home than before. I try to stay on task but there are a lot of distractions at home (the furry four legged ones are the main distraction, lol!).  We are definitely staying home more and I try to get more practice time in, but not sure I'm actually getting more done.  I have a few fingerstyle songs that I am trying to learn, and I really should get to concentrating some quality time on those! :)  

• Like 2

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951

No practice for me the last 2 weeks as I try to get through my acute sciatica.  Lots of time reclining and trying to medicate TENS unit, heat and cold pack, limited stretching when I am able. Elective medical services are suspended in the state of Washington, so epidural injections are not an option. Very easy to self isolate which i began several days before the onset.  I have made some progress recently but a bit of a relapse today again as I start my 3rd week.  My problems pale to the horrors occuring in the hospitals across the country. Stay safe and be well, all.

Greg

1 hour ago, gotto said:

No practice for me the last 2 weeks as I try to get through my acute sciatica.  Lots of time reclining and trying to medicate TENS unit, heat and cold pack, limited stretching when I am able. Elective medical services are suspended in the state of Washington, so epidural injections are not an option. Very easy to self isolate which i began several days before the onset.  I have made some progress recently but a bit of a relapse today again as I start my 3rd week.  My problems pale to the horrors occuring in the hospitals across the country. Stay safe and be well, all.

Greg

Hang in There !! 

2 hours ago, gotto said:

Greg

Been there years ago following a MVA... no fun at all. All the best Greg. wishing you a speedier recovery. N

6 hours ago, gotto said:

Greg

Hang in there. I went through the back dance in the army years ago. Three epidural injections simply prolonged the inevitable--in my case. I had an L5-S1 fusion a few years later in 1999. The doc asked me whether I wanted to try an operation. "It's 60-40 whether you walk after the operation." I was walking like an 80-year-old man, so I said, "When can we do it?" Perhaps investigate something called Reiki if you feel like it. That's beyond the scope of this forum, but directly related to being able to gig. Good journey my friend.

• Member ID:  81
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  73
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

Back in late October I had a flare that my doctor diagnosed as Ankylosing Spondylitis, a type of rheumatoid arthritis that attacks the spine and peripheral joints. I could not get out of bed for a month. My left wrist was so swollen and painful I was unable to play at all. Slowly, with medication, the swelling is coming down and there is less pain. I am finally able to play my guitars again. I need to rebuild my fingers from the ground up. They are uncooperative and they hurt, but I'm starting to retrain them. I am only able to play for a short while before the pain makes me stop for the day. With time and perseverance I will beat this and be able to play again. It will just take time. Baby steps.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  14
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  528
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  09/26/1951

Ankylosing Spondylosis is vastly more serious than sciatica. Glad you are recovering TJmyers

Didn’t mean to hijack this thread. Let’s hear some more positive stories about all our free guitar time

Greg

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65

I have been working on and off from home for the past two weeks. Typically, I have been spending about a half day in the office and then the rest of the day fending off emails and participating in conference calls or Zoom meetings. I have had a bit more focused time to practice and play, but not enough. However, tomorrow that will change.

April 1 is my first day of retirement 🙂

Picked a great time to start tapping into those retirement accounts. 😐

So I have a plan, a course to work through, and lots of (well enough) guitars and other miscellaneous equipment. We will see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

I have been working on and off from home for the past two weeks. Typically, I have been spending about a half day in the office and then the rest of the day fending off emails and participating in conference calls or Zoom meetings. I have had a bit more focused time to practice and play, but not enough. However, tomorrow that will change.

So I have a plan, a course to work through, and lots of (well enough) guitars and other miscellaneous equipment. We will see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Hey, congrats on retirement, Dave!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

Congrats Dave on your retierment! Well deserved, I'm sure. Another stage of life begins.  Stay Well. N

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  199
  • Days Won:  6

8 hours ago, Dave White said:

Congrats Dave!! Enjoy! :)

On 3/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, gotto said:

Greg

Hope you are feeling better Greg! Stay safe!