• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/03/1981

i have this question:

When I started playing the guitar I got never used to it when the guitar was on my right leg. It was like I couldn't hold it in the same position.

It always felt better when it was between my two legs like you see in classical guitar.

I hold it almost the same however, the arm is not so high like you see in classical guitar.

Now I play like this on acoustic and electric(fingerpicking and flat picking) but I don't see many people play this way.

should I continue to play like this or wil it become a disadvantage? For me it feels much more comfortable...

• Member ID:  146
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

I don't see many people play this way because most live performers stand up.

Playing in the classical position has its advantages, one of which is that you more easily fall into good habits such as having your left wrist (if you are a right-handed player) straight, not cocked.

• Member ID:  84
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12

7 minutes ago, Fretless said:

I don't see many people play this way because most live performers stand up.

Playing in the classical position has its advantages, one of which is that you more easily fall into good habits such as having your left wrist (if you are a right-handed player) straight, not cocked.

So you wouldnt dissuade this way of playing?

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

@Limatje If you are comfortable playing in this position and can reach the strings and frets more easily, then go ahead and play that way. The seated classical position has many advantages; being able to more easily reach the bass side strings further up the neck; less strain on the wrist and straighter back posture are a few. Some say it puts more strain on the back and posterior.  Some guitarist play exceptionally well in a terrible playing position.  It's really about how it works for you that counts most.

14 minutes ago, NeilES335 said:

@Limatje If you are comfortable playing in this position and can reach the strings and frets more easily, then go ahead and play that way. The seated classical position has many advantages; being able to more easily reach the bass side strings further up the neck; less strain on the wrist and straighter back posture arbee a few. Some say it puts more strain on the back and posterior.  Some guitarist play exceptionally well in a terrible playing position.  It's really about how it works for you that counts most.

hey, thanks for the answer :) 

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

Why not? It's your style. If it feels comfortable then why not? Can you strum easily in that position? People have played that way for a long time. Have you ever tried one of those foot rests, or the stand for your leg?

I say go for it if it works for you. It would be interesting to see what Steve Krenz thinks. 

3 minutes ago, Randy120 said:

Why not? It's your style. If it feels comfortable then why not? Can you strum easily in that position? People have played that way for a long time. Have you ever tried one of those foot rests, or the stand for your leg?

I say go for it if it works for you. It would be interesting to see what Steve Krenz thinks. 

If i sit low in my couch then a foot rest isnt necessary but if i sit on a chair then i use the foot rest for my left foot. And yes i can strum very comfortably that way. I hope too that steve see this post and give me an answer 🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,969
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  6

@Limatje Hi, there is absolutely no reason for you not to play this way.  I too, the same as you, play in a semi classical position, exactly the way as you have described.  I find it easier to hold the guitar steady, especially for fingerstyle and I don't have any problems with strumming.  Obviously its depends what suits you and how comfortable it is.  You will notice that the majority of people when playing standing up are holding their guitars in a semi classical position anyway even if they play on their right leg sitting down.  I am sure (correct me if I'm wrong) when some players are playing live they use their left leg whilst resting their foot on the amps or whatever. 😊

34 minutes ago, Simira said:

@Limatje Hi, there is absolutely no reason for you not to play this way.  I too, the same as you, play in a semi classical position, exactly the way as you have described.  I find it easier to hold the guitar steady, especially for fingerstyle and I don't have any problems with strumming.  Obviously its depends what suits you and how comfortable it is.  You will notice that the majority of people when playing standing up are holding their guitars in a semi classical position anyway even if they play on their right leg sitting down.  I am sure (correct me if I'm wrong) when some players are playing live they use their left leg whilst resting their foot on the amps or whatever. 😊

Thanks for the answer, i am happy that there are other people playing this way. Like i said, it just feels so much more comfortable.  🙂

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

As said above your way

I play exclusively with a guitar strap on seated or standing. 

If I'm sitting I stand up from time to time and the guitar is always in the same spot, and don't even have to stop playing to sit or stand. 

All up to you

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

As said above your way

I play exclusively with a guitar strap on seated or standing. 

If I'm sitting I stand up from time to time and the guitar is always in the same spot, and don't even have to stop playing to sit or stand. 

All up to you

Ok thanks 🙂

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1,201
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  3

I play that way too. Much more comfortable and hard to change to right leg, but that doesn’t appear to be necessary. I play classical mostly anyway but even using a different guitar or music style, it’s still easier on left leg.

3 minutes ago, Amy Greenblatt said:

I play that way too. Much more comfortable and hard to change to right leg, but that doesn’t appear to be necessary. I play classical mostly anyway but even using a different guitar or music style, it’s still easier on left leg.

Hey Amy, thanks... i will continue playing like this :)

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  1,997
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I've started playing standing up or on a stool with my left leg up in a classical position.  I was playing in a lounge chair that I had to prop a certain way to put the fret board just right to make four fret stretches easy for three note on a string scales, jazz chords, etc.  I'm just starting to play as fast and smooth as I was when sitting in the lounge chair, partly because it seems like I have to stretch more when standing or playing classical...I think I had the neck way up against my ear in the lounge chair.  I notice now that I really need about 5 minutes of warm up before I can play fast and fluid, but I imagine I'm building more stretch in my fingers.  This way if I want to play around a campfire I won't have to bring my lazy boy.🙂    

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1,740
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Macintosh

I recently started having shoulder pain. Turns out I have a partially torn rotater cuff and the doc said it was from a particular move I make while playing sitting down, then reading forward as when I reach to turn a page in a music book. 

Solution?  Therapy to regain movement and strength. AND!  Holding the guitar in a more Classical position, over the left leg instead of the right.  it allows my shoulder to hang in a more natural position.

Also, I don't know if you ever watch the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, but the house band, The Roots, has a guitarist, "Captain" Kirk Douglas, that plays with the guitar on his left leg, in a more classical style, when he plays sitting down.  When he plays standing, it is in a lower position, but the headstock is in a more upright position.

SO, as I tell my students, there are no hard, fast rules about how to hold the guitar (unless you're studying classical guitar) Do what works for you!

Play on and Be safe!