• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

A Forum for Learn and Master Guitar Students to ask questions, make comments, receive advice and encouragement, and post their progress.

• matonanjin pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6

Getting started on S14.  This one looks like fun...  improving techniques I know and adding  some new ones?.

Anyone with me?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  60
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  06/22/1968

Congrats on your progress, Neil.

Enjoy Session 14!

Wim.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

On 7/6/2018 at 10:15 AM, NeilES335 said:

Getting started on S14.  This one looks like fun...  improving techniques I know and adding  some new ones?.

Anyone with me?

About a month now on S14...coming along quite well.

Slides, bends to pitch pretty well done.. Octaves too, although playing along with jam track is a bit harder than it looks. (having an interest in jazz , I really want to get this down well) You need to know your scale hoizontally as well as vertically! The biggest part of the Session is memorizing the 7 Arpeggio forms played with hammer on' s / pull offs . This will take a little while longer..  

(I jumped into S15 for a look and think I wont be there too long ?)

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

You're certainly putting the leg work into these sessions. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2018 at 1:47 AM, NeilES335 said:

About a month now on S14...coming along quite well.

Slides, bends to pitch pretty well done.. Octaves too, although playing along with jam track is a bit harder than it looks. (having an interest in jazz , I really want to get this down well) You need to know your scale hoizontally as well as vertically! The biggest part of the Session is memorizing the 7 Arpeggio forms played with hammer on' s / pull offs . This will take a little while longer..  

(I jumped into S15 for a look and think I wont be there too long ?)

In S14 (which is mostly a series of "technique " lessons)  Steve introduces Arpeggios, (7th position in Key C)using hammer on /pull off technique. He seems to be giving an overview here, and alludes  to a more detailed theory based lesson in S17.   I cannot, however, find any referrence to Arpeggios in S17 (3 note per string scales, definately). In the "Your ready to move on " comments , arpegios are not mentioned. 

Is the intention to have the stident memorize the arpeggio paterns during this session or just  introduce them to practice hammer on / pull-off technique?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

@Wim VD maybe yòu could comment please?

Edited by NeilES335

• Member ID:  60
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  06/22/1968

@NeilES335,

Hi Neil,

The Session 14 Bonus Materials contain an intro to arpeggios. The exercise is a harmonized major scale in C, played as 7th arpeggios. The harmonized major scale is further explained in Session 15.

The course however does not contain any further coverage of arpeggios.

It was only in Session 19 (soloing), that I became really aware of the importance of arpeggios. In this Session, Steve explains the concept of Chord Tone Soloing (when playing a solo over a chord progression, the chord tones of the underlying chord are the safe notes to land on in your solo).

To put Chord Tone Soloing into practice, the only way I find working for me is to learn chord arpeggios and to build the muscle memory.

Now this is a big task. Following the CAGED system, this means learning 5 moveable patterns for major and 5 for minor triads, and extend that to also cover 7th chords (major, minor, (half-) diminished etc.). 

The resource I used for this is Chord Tone Soloing from Barrett Tagliarino.

I have included arpeggios in my daily practice routine for about 6 monts now, and it is worth the effort. To be able to instantly make the connection between the chord, the chord tones (and the related scale or mode) is a very important skill and is a breakthrough in my development as a guitar player. 

As you know I started the L&M Blues course last week. Where Sessions 2 and 3 of that course are hard to many students, it is the knowledge of 7th chord arpeggios that helps me through these sessions without real issues.

So I can only recommend to put the effort into learning arpeggios in depth, because you will benefit from it in your guitar learning journey later.

Wim.

• Thanks 1

@Wim VD  Thank you so much Wim for your time and detailed response ?. Having recently completed this stage I was sure you would know. Your comments could assist others as well .     I will do as you recommend.  

All the best with the Blues course (for you,  it should be relatively easy ?)

• Member ID:  6
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

Now he may have said things differently between the Legacy and Gibson versions.

I'll check what he says on my Legacy version tonight 

• Member ID:  10
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  36

I second @Wim VD comments. @NeilES335, Since you are interested in jazz, I also recommend learning arpeggios. However, an in-depth study of arpeggios is beyond the scope of L&MG. And so are the related scales or modes.

In jazz every chord and arpeggio are viewed from the perspective of its related scale or mode. Arpeggios are the backbone or framework of a  solo. They are targeted with various approach tones that resolve to them. At the point of chord change preferably a primary guide tone of the next chord is targeted to imply the change in the solo line itself.

Therefore, it’s not enough to learn the arpeggio shape and know where the roots are. You really need to know the function of all arpeggio degrees, as well as the function of the remaining scales degrees it comes from, to properly construct your lines.

For example, for a major tonality you need to know at least seven scales or modes in at least five (CAGED), but preferably seven (Extended CAGED) patterns. Ideally, the goal is to learn each scale, the associated chord and arpeggio simultaneously or as one. It may seem like a huge task, but each component reinforces the others. Learning them separately only causes initial confusion and delays full understanding of the “Big picture.”

Yes, you can get away with playing the C major scale instead of the mixolydian mode over the G7 or V7 chord in the key of C, but by superimposing the ionian mode over the V7 chord, you lose the functional perspective. You no longer know where your target tones are, unless you do some serious mental gymnastics. And since most scales contain at least one “avoid” note, you may easily stumble upon it.

For an in-depth instruction in jazz improvisation on guitar I highly recommend Richie Zellon’s Bebop Guitar Improv Series. I admit the amount of material is staggering and it does take time, but the course is simply stellar. You won’t be improvising any time soon, therefore the sooner you start the better. You can always have fun playing something simpler until you get there.

Yesterday, I put up some interesting vids from Richie on my blog. Check ‘em out! He’s just completed the second and final volume of the course. Chord melody and building harmony on guitar is his next project.

Anyway, back to woodshedding. Drop me a line if you have any specific questions regarding BGIS! I don’t check the forum all that often these days.

Edited by V7#5b9
Correction
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gerard; I have watched many of Ritchie Zellon's video's on YouTube...and through your blog.   I'll keep it in mind.  

Before I get off into any other courses, my intention is to complete the LMG course, (which of course has some Jazz content.) with the odd detour, no doubt. 

In the  past I've ventured off into some  Truefire  basic jazz lessons with Frank Vignola, who's teaching style I like.

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

Hi all.  I'm here.  Finishing up S13 today or tomorrow but starting this session today.

53 minutes ago, matonanjin said:

Hi all.  I'm here.  Finishing up S13 today or tomorrow but starting this session today.

Hey Ron  Thats great!  Enjoy s14!  This one focuses on techniques, some Im sure you likely know. 

Personally, the part that is taking time and effort is memorizing 7 arpeggio forms. While the lesson is hammer on/pull offs, i figure i may as well work on the arpreggios too. Im trying for 2 per week so I'll be here a while longer. Meanwhile i skipped ahead and am working on S15 as well.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, NeilES335 said:

Hey Ron  Thats great!  Enjoy s14!  This one focuses on techniques, some Im sure you likely know

Personally, the part that is taking time and effort is memorizing 7 arpeggio forms. While the lesson is hammer on/pull offs, i figure i may as well work on the arpreggios too. Im trying for 2 per week so I'll be here a while longer. Meanwhile i skipped ahead and am working on S15 as well.

Neil, yes, once again I am hoping that since I've been working some of these techniques, bending, sliding, etc., "on the side", I'll spend a little less time here than I might of.  We'll see?

8 hours ago, matonanjin said:

Neil, yes, once again I am hoping that since I've been working some of these techniques, bending, sliding, etc., "on the side", I'll spend a little less time here than I might of.  We'll see?

I find that at this "master" stage, the course is written in such a way as to give the  student more discretion as to what they want to work (and when) on along with any "side studies" . 

All the best?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after 2 months or so , Ive been through S14 lesson numerous times and completed the criteria. So,  I think I'll  movie on to S15, Electric Guitar.  

I believe I have a good grasp of the techniques from this session ; maybe not perfection but good. I had asked for opinions on completely memorizing the arpeggio patterns, and I have gotten 4 /7  "under my fingers" so far . So, I'll keep working on it

S15  should be a brief stop as I've already been working on this too ... just the Harmonized Major Scale Worksheet chart to do really . It is a fun one if I ever get a chance to use the amp at any volume ?)

Edited by NeilES335

• NeilES335 unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

The thought was, originally, that since I've been working some of these techniques, that I wouldn't be here long.  So much for that theory.  I got distracted by some other things, guitar, health and family.  So I have been away from this session for months.  But the beginning of last week I started over.  Dare I say, "I don't think I'll be here too long"?!  🙄  Ok.  I won't say it.

But I'm back!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So........status update.......

Finally to 14 Bonus material, the final arpeggios section.  I think it would be overly aggressive to say I'll finish up this week.  But by the end of next week I hope that I can say that I'm moving on to 15. 

Those of you that finished the arpeggios, how long did it take?  (Yeah, I know.  that's no indication how long it will take me.  but just curious..)

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101

@matonanjin. I found arpeggios interesting, so I got another resource dealing with this concept (Chord Tone Soloing) and continued working on it after moving away from Session 14.

Actually, I spent several months on the topic.

Wim.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:06 PM, matonanjin said:

So........status update.......

Finally to 14 Bonus material, the final arpeggios section.  I think it would be overly aggressive to say I'll finish up this week.  But by the end of next week I hope that I can say that I'm moving on to 15. 

Those of you that finished the arpeggios, how long did it take?  (Yeah, I know.  that's no indication how long it will take me.  but just curious..)

Well, I can hardly believe its a year later, and although I've moved on, I still turn back to this lesson on arpeggios.  I can play them easily, but not yet from memory. I can say,  I hear and recognize arpeggios in music all the time. But the application in playing is yet to come. I think this is one lesson where more instruction and exercises could have been written  into the course.  As @Wim VD1 says, he spend considerable time workinf on this and went to some other resources for help.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:30 PM, Wim VD1 said:

@matonanjin. I found arpeggios interesting, so I got another resource dealing with this concept (Chord Tone Soloing) and continued working on it after moving away from Session 14.

Actually, I spent several months on the topic.

Wim.

Yep, I've got that book, by Barrett Tagliarino.  I was going to work it later.  Maybe I'll work it into the daily routine now (as if there is room for more!?😮)

10 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Well, I can hardly believe its a year later, and although I've moved on, I still turn back to this lesson on arpeggios.  I can play them easily, but not yet from memory. I can say,  I hear and recognize arpeggios in music all the time. But the application in playing is yet to come. I think this is one lesson where more instruction and exercises could have been written  into the course.  As @Wim VD1 says, he spend considerable time workinf on this and went to some other resources for help.

I've been stalled out here quite a while, Neil, because of other resources.  I've brought in a course on bends, slides and h-o, p-o, etc.  The lesson is great but I went to a TF course to supplement it. 

10 hours ago, matonanjin said:

Yep, I've got that book, by Barrett Tagliarino.  I was going to work it later.  Maybe I'll work it into the daily routine now (as if there is room for more!?😮)

I've been stalled out here quite a while, Neil, because of other resources.  I've brought in a course on bends, slides and h-o, p-o, etc.  The lesson is great but I went to a TF course to supplement it. 

I think I'll have to do the same ie additional learning resources to become passibly proficient on arpegios. It does require more time and effort than I can give at the moment. Hopefully in a few months when business quiets down a bit.

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  1,997
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

An interesting crossroads!  I’m spending quite a bit of time practicing the shuffles outlined in earlier lessons and working the hammer ons, offs, and slides to get better timing, accuracy and a more relaxed feel/sound.  Massaging my swung eighths, accentuating notes, pick control, stretch fretting, optimizing finger position, and string skipping.  Seems to make my sound more fluid and my song learning more efficient.  Also learning a couple of simple finger style songs...which really drive solid chord changes.  A very clever, well thought out course that builds  skills in a subtle but strategic way.

1 hour ago, ScottH said:

A very clever, well thought out course that builds  skills in a subtle but strategic way.

Well said.

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  84
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/03/1981

Hey everybody,

I will start session 14 today.

I am very happy that I got there because 5 months ago I was done with guitar playing. It all became too much for me. I will try to explain why:

I found myself at the stage where it was simply impossible to practice everything everyday. Chords, songs, technique, sight reading, scales, ear practice, new stuff, maintain older stuff... My daily practice became +- 3 hours and that was not possible.

So I begun skipping exercises, did not find a good routine and I constantly had the feeling that I didn't practice enough. The fun was gone and it became a huge task to pick up my guitar...

How did you people overcome this problem?

I have a core routine now that can change every week and that I practice everyday. This is mostly the new stuff that I learn. This routine is +-90 min.

When I have time left I work on my second routine. This is a list of all the stuff that I have learned and want to maintain but are not possible to practice everyday (older songs, older worksheets, some sight reading exercises from the first lessons, some barre chords practice, some fingerpicking exercises etc...) For completing this list I give myself a week.

So now I have my core training that I do everyday and all my other exercises that I do once a week... Now I have the feeling that I have a solid practice routine but I was close to quitting the Guitar.

I think for many people it will be a problem to organize there practice routine when they come this far so all tips are welcome :)

Up to session 14,

greetings from Belgium!!!

• Like 3