• Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  816
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  210
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

From The Guardian: "The road will kill you": Why older musicians are cancelling tours

"Health concerns have caused a number of high-profile singers to quit the road but what will it all mean for the industry at large?"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Sad but true, @DianeB.  It's looking increasingly like I won't fulfill one of my bucket list items, seeing Clapton in concert.  I posted a year (or more) ago about his cancelling his LA concert because of his peripheral neuropathy.   Then he held his Crossroads concert last year in Dallas and I couldn't go.  Since he has those every 3 years it's doubtful he'll have another.

Lot's of my generation guitar heroes are retiring..........or worse.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Yet some still sing

"Hope I die before I get old"

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

At the risk of sounding old...I guess there are lots or younger touring musicians playing concerts today, but I really couldn't tell you who they are or much about them. 

Those of us "mature" folks grew up in a Golden Age of music, the 1950's through the !970's, and many of those artists are now in their 70's and 80's. So, with all the related health issues associated with this, it's not that surprising that they're willing but sometimes not able.

Even the younger artists are making careers out of singing /performing songs or music styles made popular before they were born.

Where the music industry goes from here is anyone's guess. I don't think I've really heard much "new" music that interests me much at all in maybe 20 yrs or more...

Sidenote; A brother/sister duo recently earned a "Juno Award"  (that's Canada's equivilent to a "Grammy") writing, performing recording their song by themselves at home, (with an interface, mixing board, a few mics and a computer) and promoting it on "social media" and YouTube.

So much for record companies...

• Like 2

• Member ID:  157
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

A sad point of contention indeed; however, I have found myself attending smaller venue performances of some truly wonderful acts of completely different genres than my youth preferences.  And, enjoying every last minute.  Acoustic sets from bluegrass, "new" country, and even jazz/blues have crept into my playlists.  Lawn seats at Ravinia have allowed my wife and me to enjoy a host of legacy bands at far more comfortable pricing.  But I must point out that not all of those legacy bands were worth hearing again.  I, too, love remembering younger days with legacy bands that can still get you on your feet and dancing the night away; but I just read an article today about celebrating Beethoven's 250th birthday that continues this year.  Hmmm, I doubt anyone ever dreamed of the Stones, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, CSN&Y, or those kids from Liverpool called The Beatles in his lifetime!  The point is, music is at the root of it all in terms of our childhood memories, our adult lives, and even our "golden" years.  Who knows, perhaps a young version of Bob Dylan is perfecting his chops as I type....

Bryan

*** I must apologize to any and all of the great performers I omitted in my text

Edited by Plantsman13
  • Like 4