• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/03/1981

Hello, i have a question about canon in D.

The fingering for the left hand is very well explained and i have no problem with that but i find it difficult to follow what Steve is doing with his right hand.

Is it the intention that i do the exact same fingering with the picking hand or is it the intention to find out what works best for me with those fingers?

grtz

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

40 minutes ago, Limatje said:

Hello, i have a question about canon in D.

The fingering for the left hand is very well explained and i have no problem with that but i find it difficult to follow what Steve is doing with his right hand.

Is it the intention that i do the exact same fingering with the picking hand or is it the intention to find out what works best for me with those fingers?

grtz

Your left/right hands follows the finger picking TAB line at the bottom

• Member ID:  84
  • Followers:  0

4 minutes ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

Your left/right hands follows the finger picking TAB line at the bottom

the tab shows me how to play with the left hand but it don't show the left hand fingering. Sometimes steve plays the second or third string with his thumb, sometimes with his index finger... that's where my problem is. it is hard to follow his picking hand. i wanna practice the song correct but i have to know what to do with my picking hand :)

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

I'm not there yet, but I am very curious about lesson 10, so I looked. On the first page of Session 10 there is a picture of a hand with the Thumb labeled T, the index  1, etc. Below that is a key for finger pattern 1 that shows Thumb - 1st - 2nd- 3rd . Now look down at the first exercise. There is only music notation for the fretting hand. The tab below is for the picking hand. Notice the 0, which equals the thumb. This is a little confusing if one is looking for a T like the picture of the hand or the word Thumb like in the key. It was probably easier for some reason to use a zero.

Hope this helps. Now to get back to session 4 before I start messing around with this stuff.

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@pkotof You're slightly mistaken, which will become evident when you watch the video. The very first exercise in Session 10, on page 57 of the lesson book, is played on all open strings. That's what the "0" means in the tab: zero fret = open string. This is standard tablature notation. The right hand pattern to be used is in the respective headings; "Finger Pattern 1, T123 (pima) and so on.

• Member ID:  84

2 hours ago, pkotof said:

I'm not there yet, but I am very curious about lesson 10, so I looked. On the first page of Session 10 there is a picture of a hand with the Thumb labeled T, the index  1, etc. Below that is a key for finger pattern 1 that shows Thumb - 1st - 2nd- 3rd . Now look down at the first exercise. There is only music notation for the fretting hand. The tab below is for the picking hand. Notice the 0, which equals the thumb. This is a little confusing if one is looking for a T like the picture of the hand or the word Thumb like in the key. It was probably easier for some reason to use a zero.

Hope this helps. Now to get back to session 4 before I start messing around with this stuff.

hey, thanks for the reaction but that's not the case :)

The 0 stands for open strings so in the example you made there is nothing to fret with the left hand.

Most of the exercises and the song house  of the rising sun are simple: thumb for the bas and finger 1 "th string finger 2 second string and finger 3 first string... but in the song cannon in D Is that not the case. Steve use his thumb all over the place :)

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Thanks Diane,

Now I know too whenever I get there. I went back and looked at the book. That's what I get for looking at one example. Now I have the same question about Canon in D, but I haven't watched the video. So I will get out of heeeeere!

Btw, I never used the tab while playing, so I forgot about the 0 = open string. Thanks.

Edited by pkotof
Thanks and exit.
  • Thanks 1

@Limatje @pkotof

Ok, been a little while since I looked at Cannon in D

I only have the LMG and Bonus LMG books on my tablet, I don't have the Fingerstyle course on it.

The thumb plays all the bass notes whether its on the 6th,5th or 4th strings.

On line 1, fret a D chord

You would start on string 4, Thumb/4 which is open, then Index on 3rd string, Middle on 2nd string , ring would play first string which fretting hand is playing 2nd fret. 

Same pattern for the entire line.

Thumb, index, middle ,ring

Note that the chord on top, doesn't quite match what you would think the fingering would be, 

Make sure your fretting hand frets what's in the tab lines.

F#m is fret 6th string 3rd fret, 4th string 4th fret and strings 3 and 2 are fretted at 2nd fret 

Now again, thumb on 6, index on 4, middle on 3rd sting, ring on 2nd string.

Pluck thumb, index, middle , ring.

Line 2

It's a "diad" , fret a D chord again, 

This time thumb and ring pluck at same time  . Then index plucks 3rd string, middle plucks 2nd sting.

Notice on D chord thumb plays 4th string

On A, Bm thumb plays 5th string

And on F#m and G thumb plays 6th string.

That's what gives you your walking bass line

Last line you have A chord, but fretted 5th and 6th fret with an open A.

That's plucked all at the same time with thumb, index and ring.

Last line creates a "3rds" from the A, Bm, F#m, 

Below is a in depth look.. 

the Pictures are from the 1st line 1st measure, 2nd line 1st measure, 2nd line 3rd measure, skipped 3 line and last (4th picture ) is the 4 line 1st and 2nd measures

Picking Hand..  

T=Thumb, I=Index, M=Middle, R=Ring Fingers to use for picking

the Tab Lines at bottom not only show which hands to use for the Chord.. but which sequence to use as the picking hand to pick the strings.

Note.. the Chord Name at the Top doesn't necessarily match what you'd think as a chord in the open 1st position.. it can.. but doesn't have to as found on in the D/F# that needs an open string

String Names are in Red

Fingers to pick with are in Blue

Fretting hand is in black numbers for the fret number on that string

The TAB lines at the bottom is how Steve wanted you to play this score.

The music notation is only part and probably not very helpful as say in the 

2019-08-17_204816.jpg

2019-08-17_204850.jpg

2019-08-17_204905.jpg

2019-08-17_204931.jpg

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

I must have another go at this some day... 

• 1 year later...

I've been doing this course religiously since this April. It's been really great and easy to follow. Then comes Session 10 with the Intro Song & Canon in D and WHAM! It went from beginner level to something way beyond. On top of the two pieces being extremely difficult you also have 16th notes, pull-offs and which fingers are fingering what notes. Most of which were not yet covered in the course. Very confusing!

Edited by Guest

@RockVox Canon in D is quite a challenging fingerstyle song. Expect to spend some time with it. I suggest you go at it a few bars at a time, building on each bar moving into the next.. If you have only been at this course for 5 months and are at S10, I must assume you have some prior experience, or, perhaps you've moved ahead too swiftly. Most students take far longer, (possibly a year or more) to get there . If you are confused or struggling I suggest you go back and review prior lesson which do teach these skills that are bothering you.

Yes, I have some prior experience. It took me about 6 months to get to this point. I will try to get through (very slowly) the Session 10 Intro Song & Canon In D. I didn't see any prior 16th notes, pull-offs, 2nd position instruction in the previous Sessions. Session 10 starts out easy and then... BAM!, with the Session 10 Intro Song & Canon In D, it gets extremely hard. Doesn't make sense to me, but hey...

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Guest

• Member ID:  1,969
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  6

Hi @ RockVox, yes Session 10 is a stumbling block to many, as fingerstyle is a whole new ball game.  Canon in D is what you may call a 'Work In Progress' which many of us, myself included have carried forward to other sessions.  Remember up until now you have been forming chord shapes and using a pick, now you have to train your fingers further for  left hand independance and right hand picking co-ordination.  Remember sessions 1 to 9 are your foundation and all the sessions after that are a taster of different genres.  Don't get hung up on having to 'master' the difficult songs just carry them forward to practice in other sessions.  If you are interested in pursuing fingerstyle further I do recommend Steve's fingerstyle course😊

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RockVox said:

Thanks for the excellent advice...

@RockVox If it's any consolation to you.. I have "finished" the LMG course, but I confess, I never really "mastered' Canon in D. I learned enough to know that fingerstyle guitar is a sub-genre that requires certain skills. As Simira says, with many of us it's still a "work in progress" .  But of course that doesn't mean this applies to you! Just take it slow and steady, and pretty soon we'll hear your recording of this classic here.  N

Edited by NeilES335
additional comment

I'm working on the Dm Etude piece. Does anybody know how Steve is playing that last measure at the 10th fret? Is it a Thumb-2-1-3 type of thing. It happens so fast that it's hard to hear the order and rhythm. It's real pretty!

Thanks...

Dm Etude.jpg

Edited by Guest

@RockVox

he's barring the 10th fret with his first finger and since all the notes are played all at once..

you pluck the first three strings at once with your index, middle and ring fingers

• Member ID:  1,969
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  6

Hi @RockVox, On the DM Etude Steve is playing the last measure as a Rolling Strum, instead of plucking the notes at the same time, he is plucking them one by one in quick succession, T,1,2,3. A rolling strum is normally indicated by a squiggly vertical line next the the notes, although in this case the notation is showing it to be played at the same time. Hope this helps😊

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  2,036
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1988

Bumping this thread with a couple of questions

This session has really forced me into improving the bar chord technique, which helps since I'm not always muting the strings anymore (still practicing on acoustic), ironically though, I'm finding it quite challenging now to smoothly change between a regular chord and the F major bar chord. It takes me quite some time to get the fingers positioned correctly and get clean sounding strings. Any tips on how to improve/speed up the chord transition? 

Apart from that, I am also wondering how to play the 5 note C shape in the Giuliani exercise, along with the G7, do you have to add your pinky to play the D note? 

Thanks!

Edited by kenneth

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,036
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1988

If anyone else is struggling with the change to F major bar chord, grabbing the F note first really seems to help in shaping the chord efficiently. Might even be the proper technique. Wish the course would spend more time on these practical issues but it also forces you to practice more and correct your own mistakes, which ultimately can't be a bad thing

• Member ID:  146
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  243
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  19
  • Device:  Macintosh

On 11/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, kenneth said:

... the F major bar chord. It takes me quite some time to get the fingers positioned correctly and get clean sounding strings. Any tips on how to improve/speed up the chord transition?

Kenneth, you no doubt have some chords where you no longer think about whoch finger goes where, you just know the chord shapes and your hand gets it right without any brain power from you. In time, the F will become like this. In the meantime, you just need to keep playing songs that include F to drive it home. It would be worth getting someone to watch you when you are playing an F so that they can check how straight your wrist is and check that your guitar is such that when you are playing F your hand should be somewhere around shoulder height.

Guitar playing does not get any harder than doing barre chords at the 1st fret. It might help to start with an Bb chord - slide the F chord up the neck 5 frets to where it is easier to get right and then play an A (4 frets up from F) and keep going down one fret at at a time until you get to F comfortably and accurately. By all means take a few days or weeks on this.

Don't get in a rut over this. Press on through session 10 and beyond and treat this as something that you will return to periodically.

@kenneth F Barre is pretty common jump

but you're in Session 10.. finger style.. that means holding chords a long time and trying to be clean with every string, which means you have to adjust your hand and fingers to make them clean

all the while you're holding a chord.. which will fatigue a hand quickly,, so jumping to another chord like the F barre maybe slowed down

if you're in session 10 .. then you've been playing barre chords from Session 7 onward.. so should be pretty familiar with them.. just the static holding of the chords in Session 10 to cause issues.

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  3,230
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  2

I have a question, it says in the bonus resource book to have all the exercises completed at 92 beats per minute. But I tried doing the finger pattern #1 exercise 3 in the bonus resource book and WOW that is fast.

I don't even know if it is possible to move my fingers that fast. 

So I guess my question is, do we need to be able to complete that exercise at 92 bpm to move on?

Edited by Enoch11223344