• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

A Forum for Learn and Master Guitar Students to ask questions, make comments, receive advice and encouragement, and post their progress.

• matonanjin pinned this topic
  • NeilES335 unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

• Member ID:  223
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

I don’t know about you, but I now realize that I spent too much time trying to fret the bar chords and no time on the actual chord tones I was playing, except the root note. Not to mention the  major scales I was dancing around while fretting the barre chord positions.

Barre chords take so much time to learn, its a shame not to learn all those chord tones at the same time. 

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  1,329
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

As I'm wrapping up Session 8, I wonder what should I actually learn from the theory part. The Bonus Resources Book has a lot of helping material, like flashcards, etc. But I'm a bit confused, since I left Session 7 with all the major scales memorized (I can instantly spell out any key). What's the thing that I should learn in this Session 8? Look at a key signature and instantly know the key and vice versa?

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

@Stefan  Hi, Stefan, at this stage, having learned the key signatures, you should be also able to identify all the relative major/relative minor pairs (B major -> G# minor, Eb minor -> Gb major, and so on). I made my own flash cards for this. It's also time (I think) to start learning, in some way, the circle of fifths (here's my recommendation). Steve does not take up this topic directly; he covers an absolute minimum of music theory in the course itself, probably to make it seem less intimidating.

Session 9 introduces intervals. This subject, too, is diluted: all the exercises deal with intervals above a pitch; none ask about intervals below a given pitch; and the student is not required to locate any of them on the staff. I see what Steve is doing: he's preparing the student to spell chords in the shortest (ahem) interval possible. But Session 13 is a long time to wait to understand what a triad is.

Around this point in the course, I suspect, each of us decides just what our relationship with music theory should be. As for me, I've completed all the theory topics in the course and more. It's worth it. Carry on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  2,036
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/03/1988

That moment when after a couple of days of practicing Jamaica Farewell and wondering why your B string sounds out of tune, you realize the B note in the song is flat... 

Edited by kenneth
typo

• 1 month later...

Hey,

In session 8 there is a section dedicated to relative major and minor scales, it says you should build a relative minor 8 note scale starting from the note that is either 6 steps up or 2 steps down from the beginning/end of the major scale. unfortunately it doesn't say HOW to build a relative minor scale. Is this the same as a major scale, apart from some flats? Anyone care to elaborate or does this question recur later in the course? Thanks in any case. 

• Member ID:  33
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959

Hi Kenneth,

Relative major and minor scales have the same notes, and the relative minor of each major scale begins on the sixth degree of the major scale. As an example, the C major scale has the notes:

C - D - E - F- G - A - B, then up to the octave C

The sixth degree of C major is A, so the relative minor scale of C is Am, and the notes are:

A - B - C - D - E - F - G, then up to the octave A

If you were trying to determine a minor scale's notes and didn't know the notes of its relative major scale, you could build a minor scale using intervals. This is done the same way as building a major scale, but the intervals are different. Whereas the major scale intervals, starting with the root, are W - W - H - W - W - W - H, the minor scale intervals, starting with the root, are W - H - W - W - H - W - W.

Hope that helps,

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, explains a lot! I figured the minor scale didn't use the w w h w w w h building pattern, so your answer clears up a lot! I'm not sure if I missed this somewhere or if this is irrelevant in this part of the course, in any case it had me confused since I thought the minor scale used the same steps. 

You've also taught me that the two notes at the beginning and the end of the scale are each other's octaves, hadn't figured that one out yet. 

Thanks again! 

• Member ID:  33
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  37
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959

I don't think the minor scale intervals are in the course. It's nice to know info, but it's really much easier to work off of the major scale all the time. Glad to be of help.