• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had the same frustration I have with session 7 so far. I just cannot consistently get the barre chords to ring clearly. I’ve just been trying to get my index finger down let alone adding in the other fingers. I’ve been at it for 2-3 weeks and I know it takes time, but this is by far the most frustrating thing I’ve dealt with in learning guitar. I only want to play for my own enjoyment not for performance or anything close. At this point I’m considering three options, quitting altogether, moving on without mastering barre chords or dumping all my guitars in the lake! 😡

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@Randy Breeding barres at not mastered in weeks, 

And session 7 and 8 pound barre after barre.

Most music is not written barre chord, barre chord barre chord.....

Even after years my barres are not clear

My thumb muscle still fatigues. 

Also do session8 at the same time, same concept, just slightly different shapes 

Also easier said than done, pull back with your fretting arm to give the barring index finger more pressure over squeezing with your thumb and finger as thumb tendonitis can happen 

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH

• Member ID:  81
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958
  • Device:  Windows

19 hours ago, Randy Breeding said:

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had the same frustration I have with session 7 so far. I just cannot consistently get the barre chords to ring clearly. I’ve just been trying to get my index finger down let alone adding in the other fingers. I’ve been at it for 2-3 weeks and I know it takes time, but this is by far the most frustrating thing I’ve dealt with in learning guitar. I only want to play for my own enjoyment not for performance or anything close. At this point I’m considering three options, quitting altogether, moving on without mastering barre chords or dumping all my guitars in the lake! 😡

I would also suggest learning the notes of the barre chord. In a lot of cases you can get away with just playing 3 or 4 strings (root-3-5-7) of the barre chord and still get the voicing that you want.

Edited by tjmeyers

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

19 hours ago, Randy Breeding said:

I just cannot consistently get the barre chords to ring clearly. I’ve just been trying to get my index finger down let alone adding in the other fingers. I’ve been at it for 2-3 weeks... 

First off, do not throw the guitars in the lake!  If you have been at it 2-3 weeks you should not expect the barre chords to ring clearly yet.  And this frustration you are expressing is very common.  Just look back at some of the previous messages here.

You need to understand the physical difference with mastering barre chords.  With previous lessons, be it individual notes, open chords, or the strumming that will come next, it is mastering technique.  You can move the mastering speed to large extent by more practice.  With mastering barre chords you must develop finger muscle strength.  It just takes time and the exercises, lots of both.

In response to lots of similar, former posts like yours I went back and examined my practice log.  I spent over 9 months on combined sessions 7 and 8.  Don't worry!  I'm not suggesting you do the same.  With the clarity of hindsight I wish I had moved on.  I wish I had continued working barre chords for a (small) portion of each practice session but also moving on to strumming and working songs and whatever else was on the agenda.  

I suggest you do the same.  And I think Steve would approve this suggestion.

You have only been on session 7 a couple weeks.  Work it a couple or few more weeks.  The same for 8, barre chords on the 5th string.   Work it a month or so.  Then do as I wish I had.  Work barre chords each day, building up that finger muscle strength.  And soon they will ring out clearly.

You said the music is for you.  You can also do as TJ suggested, if your audience is ok with it!😉, play a "mini" version of the chord.  Lots of people, experience guitarists, play a 4 string version of the F barre chord.  Or play the open chord version.  If you're into blues, as I am, there are lots of 7 chords and most have open chord versions.  Instead of G7 5th fret barre chord play the open chord G7.  But most likely you'll be more satisfied mastering the barre chords.

But it's your music!!! 

good luck to you.  And keep us up to date on your progress.

• Member ID:  2,343
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/31/2021 at 3:16 PM, Rlb03 said:

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and the tips, I truly appreciate it. It helps. I will begin  incorporating the things suggested into my routine. Thank you matonanjin especially for the good advice. I was thinking of doing just what you said, keep working for a while longer then move on but still practice barres. When I play my Tele it’s pretty good, but my acoustics are putting up a fight! 😄 I know it’s going to be a long term work and hopefully I’ll have good things to report in the future. Thank you all again! 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

• Member ID:  2,655
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  10

So far for me this chapter is a big step up in difficulty from the previous one in the L&M course. I've been at it for over a month and can't seem to get rid of the buzz when changing from one barre chord to the next unless I really really slow it down.  or that screech when I move up and down the fretboard. Slow and steady wins the race I guess. Hope everyone is enjoying the journey and progressing well. :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,853
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/02/1961

On 4/23/2018 at 3:21 PM, Randy120 said:

Steve does not cover the CAGED system in the Learn & Master course, but he does have some videos on it. I don't think you should waste your time on CAGED at this point because you have so much to learn. You can always learn CAGED at a later date for extra credit, but if you think it is some magical system you must know to be your best then you will be disappointed. Desi Serna covers caged in his Fretboard Theory course. I think you have plenty of challenges just trying to complete Steve's course. It is easy to get sidetracked looking for some magical formula that will make you a great guitar player, but there isn't any. There is just knowledge, practice, and playing in the end.  

I AGREE 100% Randy. Chasing Other Courses and Methods Simultaneously with the Learn & Master Guitar Course will sidetrack and Slow your Process. I am only Concentrating on This Course and only adding Outside (Hal Leonard Music Books of Songs) materials to expand my Range of Songs to Play. Mastering This Course is Plenty Challenging. If you Truly Master This Course....then you can Pursue any Subjects the Course did not Cover. But you will be an Absolutely Respectable Guitarist if you Complete/Master this Course. Take Your Time, You will be Glad you did, Otherwise I believe you Risk at some point becoming Overwhelmed and End Up Quitting all together and that would be Sad.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

@SandyB You can add Steve's The Song Hits to give you songs to learn along with the chapters in the L&M Guitar Course.. Play songs early and often.