• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

A Forum for Learn and Master Guitar Students to ask questions, make comments, receive advice and encouragement, and post their progress.

• matonanjin pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1,264
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Right now, I'm learning this session,

I hope that I'll pass it soon.

Anyway, Does anyone have problem with reading musical notes?

Why is it so difficult for me?

• Member ID:  81
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/16/1958

I takes time and usage, my guitar teacher calls them "miles."

Patience, practice and perseverance are key.

You'll get there.

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

If you have to pencil the note names in on the page if you're using a paper book.

Once comfortable start erasing the notes.

You'll find this helpful once the note is below the ledger lines

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tjmeyers said:

I takes time and usage, my guitar teacher calls them "miles."

Patience, practice and perseverance are key.

You'll get there.

Thank you, 

6 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

If you have to pencil the note names in on the page if you're using a paper book.

Once comfortable start erasing the notes.

You'll find this helpful once the note is below the ledger lines

Anyway, Is it okay if I proceed to the next session,even though I still have problem with it?

• Member ID:  104
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  9

Hello HYA,

Yes! If you can play the exercises at the speed suggested in the bonus resources book then move on.

I found an app called "note trainer" which helped me with my note reading a lot. I started out remembering with the mnemonic FACE for the notes in the spaces between the lines and Every Good Boy Does Fine for the notes on the lines. After a while of using the app I became able to name the notes just out of pure practice during any spare moments that I had.

Keep on going you are doing great!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nutty1 said:

Hello HYA,

Yes! If you can play the exercises at the speed suggested in the bonus resources book then move on.

I found an app called "note trainer" which helped me with my note reading a lot. I started out remembering with the mnemonic FACE for the notes in the spaces between the lines and Every Good Boy Does Fine for the notes on the lines. After a while of using the app I became able to name the notes just out of pure practice during any spare moments that I had.

Keep on going you are doing great!

Thank you,

I'll try the app.

• NeilES335 unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,556
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I am about 90% of the way to meeting and/or exceeding the standards in "you're ready to move on" and I play along decently well with Steve, but if I try to apply the same standards (60 bpm for exercises or 90 bpm for songs) to the bonus resource book, it feels like I more like 70% there, maybe 50% on the ties/dots/rest exercises in the bonus book.  

I will definitely keep working on these and I'm not in a hurry to move on, but I was wondering if the bonus book was supposed to be more difficult and its okay to move on when you meet the "You're ready to move on" even if your not as sharp on the bonus book. 

• Member ID:  5

1 hour ago, S Bach said:

I am about 90% of the way to meeting and/or exceeding the standards in "you're ready to move on" and I play along decently well with Steve, but if I try to apply the same standards (60 bpm for exercises or 90 bpm for songs) to the bonus resource book, it feels like I more like 70% there, maybe 50% on the ties/dots/rest exercises in the bonus book.  

I will definitely keep working on these and I'm not in a hurry to move on, but I was wondering if the bonus book was supposed to be more difficult and its okay to move on when you meet the "You're ready to move on" even if your not as sharp on the bonus book. 

You're doing great...just stick with it! While Steve has said the "You're ready to move on etc..." is a general guideline, I'd encourage you to be sure you can complete both the Lesson Book and the Bonus Resource book for each session to a point where it exceeds the minimum requirement; so you feel that you are very comfortable with the whole Session. This will pay off later. The Bonus Resource isn't intended to be more difficult, just a bit more thorough. And don't forget to use the play along Jam Tracks too.

ps great to see you chime in here... please continue to let us know how you're doing!

• Like 2

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  3

Welcome.All great info, stick with it.. and yes many have stopped and started up as sometimes life gets in the way. I know I have . But a plan even 15 minutes at a time works wonders.. and Note Trainer is an easy great resource to use anywhere , sitting around , watching TV , anywhere.. you will be surprised what you will learn just playing around.  

• Like 2

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6
  • Device:  Macintosh

22 hours ago, S Bach said:

Sounds like you are right on track! :) 

Steve did mention a time or two that this session really could have been two separate sessions: one for the notes on string 5&6, and the other dealing with sharps, flats, ties, dots, rests, etc. 

Session 4 is definitely one of the more challenging sessions. Take it slow and steady especially with the ties, dots and rests as the rhythms can get tricky. Set your metronome super slow and gradually move it up. 

Keep at it! You will get it! If there is one or two exercises that are hanging you up, then don't worry, move on, and keep working those as a warm up. You'll know when it is the right time to move on.  The bonus session is definitely a bit more challenging, but give it a bit more time and you will see results! :)

• Like 2

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

@HYA You will not be a master sight reader by the end of session 3. The first four sessions are just an introduction. Don't cheat yourself by trying to skip this part. You will benefit from reading music in the long run. Write the notes in until you don't have to.

I locked in on a few notes in the beginning then used them for a reference to learn the rest of the notes. I learned the E on the first string before I learned the F and G. I learned the A on the third string because it is so visually obvious. I learned the C on the fifth string by sight also. The E on the 6th string because of the three staff dashes above the note. From there I learned the rest including going to the higher notes above the staff. 

This isn't easy. Give yourself credit for doing something hard. Anyone can learn a few cowboy chords and be a perfectly mediocre guitar player. Learning to read music, music theory, and playing better than you ever imagined takes time and practice. Don't give up.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1,139
  • Content Count:  22

Hi all,

I moved onto session three over the weekend, and I am well on my way to working through it (session four is where I gave up on my first attempt to go through the course).  I was wondering if anyone had any tips when playing open string notes that are followed by other open strings or fretted notes on a different string. For example the B-G in "Yankee Doodle" or the first few notes of "When the Saints Go Marchin' In." 

I can play the first note fine, but when I move to the next one or the next string, the initial note either rings through the second one (which does sound interesting, especially on "Amazing Grace"), or I mute the initial one and play the second, but there is an awkward split second of silence between the two.  Am I just not fast enough?  I know Mr. Krenz talked about muting strings in session 2 or 3, but I can't seem to make it work for the session 3 songs

• Member ID:  223
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi, My suggestion is don’t worry about muting strings at this point. I seemed to remember Steve talking about muting when you came to a rest, but he also said, even then you didn’t need to mute.Its  early days, don’t make it any harder.

• Like 3

• Member ID:  5

9 hours ago, costancr said:

Hi all,

I moved onto session three over the weekend, and I am well on my way to working through it (session four is where I gave up on my first attempt to go through the course).  I was wondering if anyone had any tips when playing open string notes that are followed by other open strings or fretted notes on a different string. For example the B-G in "Yankee Doodle" or the first few notes of "When the Saints Go Marchin' In." 

I can play the first note fine, but when I move to the next one or the next string, the initial note either rings through the second one (which does sound interesting, especially on "Amazing Grace"), or I mute the initial one and play the second, but there is an awkward split second of silence between the two.  Am I just not fast enough?  I know Mr. Krenz talked about muting strings in session 2 or 3, but I can't seem to make it work for the session 3 songs

As @Triple-o says, dont worry too much about other strings ringing out for now... just work on getting a good clean note, and playing smoothly ("legato" ) from one note to the next, to avoid that " awkward split second" . It will make the tune sound so much better. All the Best! Neil

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  221
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Session 3 - Up and Down strokes for Eighth Notes:

I'm confusing myself. In Session 3, Eighth Note Exercises, the book says "when you have several eighth notes of the same pitch in a row, then alternate your picking (Down - Up - Down - Up)".

Does this mean eighth notes on the same string that are "barred together" such as B C D on the second string are played Down - Up - Down? This makes sense to do I think.

This is where I'm getting confused - What about Exercise 5 on page 17 of the Lesson Book where you have the eighth notes C and E barred together or the next notes D and F? These are on different strings and it seems a bit awkward to use the Up - Down - Up - Down pattern.

Bill

Just now, appledaddy said:

These are on different strings and it seems a bit awkward to use the Up - Down - Up - Down pattern.

Oops, I meant Down - Up - Down -  Up. Told you I was confused. lol

Bill

• Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Your hand has to come up sometime.

Just do down up on all notes, doesn't matter which string.

(Unless it's a rest which you would then not play but hand has to keep moving )

• Like 1

Okay. thanks Doug for clearing this up for me.

Have a great Sunday!

Bill

• Like 1

• Member ID:  359
  • Content Count:  42
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/02/1961

Howdy Bill,

I know it gets confusing at first but just keep practicing. Eventually you will understand what Steve is saying and it will make perfect sense. Economical Picking it what it boils down to...you will get it soon. Up Down Picking will become your friend especially when you begin to play faster songs and you have to do anything you can to stay in time....THAT is Where the Up Down picking will save you, you will see what I mean soon. It makes Sense and it Absolutely Works. Just Remember, THIS is No Race....Take Your Time. Understand what you are Learning and Master it as much as you can, as you Progress you will begin to understand how these Lessons kind of Build on one another and as you Master each little Skill it will feel Great when you begin to add it to Songs that incorporate the Skills together. Don't Give Up...NEVER! If you Continue Asking Questions and Practicing, your going to wakeup One Day and Say WOW! I Did It! Nobody has truly Mastered a Guitar in a Short Period of Time so don't set your Expectations too high, just Practice as much as you can and you will see Progress. This is The Right Course with The Right Instructor and a TON of Fellow Students willing to Help You any way they can. Keep Learning and Practicing and Keep Your Fellow Students Informed as you Progress, We All Love hearing Great News....

• Like 3

Sandy,

Thank you for the encouragement and words of wisdom. I will stick with it and let you know how it's going.

I'm a true Steve believer!

Bill

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

• Member ID:  1,958
  • Content Count:  18
  • Birthday:  05/27/1981

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,958
  • Content Count:  18
  • Birthday:  05/27/1981

I'm spending another week in Session 3 to get more comfortable with the new string.  I created a Guitar Pro file that contains all of the exercises from the lesson book and bonus into one file other than the songs.  All 3/4 timing songs are at the end, so there isn't confusing of swapping between time signatures.

Session 3 - Exercises.gp

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  2,423
  • Content Count:  4

Hi all,

I've been working on session 3 for almost two weeks now. I have no problem until Ties, Dots & Rests exercise, I really need some advice on eighth rest. I can mange to mute the string if it's a fretted note followed by an eighth rest, I could just lift my finger a little bit to achieve that. But it is just impossible for me to mute the string with my palm if it's an open note followed by an eighth rest. 1/2 beat is too short for me to do anything else. Any advice?  Please.

Thank you!

Edited by marshall