• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

A Forum for Learn and Master Guitar Students to ask questions, make comments, receive advice and encouragement, and post their progress.

• matonanjin pinned this topic
  • matonanjin unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

• Member ID:  1,276
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi! I recently found the L&M course, and have really enjoyed the first 2 sessions. I have picked up the guitar off & on for over 20 years, but never kept up with it. I really appreciate the guidelines on what skills we should have before moving up a session. I've been able to pick out a melody line on guitar easily for years, but was never able to transition to playing that melody to a backing track or strumming the chords.

So my plan is to work on the songs until I can play both the melody line & chords to the backing track & at 90bpm, and start working on the materials in Song Hits. I'll use some of my old materials for additional exercise resources because I'll get bored with that the fastest.

Thanks for a great set of materials & the community to go with it!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hi Jess! Welcome to the community. Your story has some familiar notes and you have a good plan. For advice that I found helpful, may I direct you to my Reading List. Enjoy the journey!  

• Member ID:  1,276

Thanks! A couple of those books look familiar, but there's a lot that are new to me too :)

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,275
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  3

I'm "drinking from the fire hydrant" right now!  I'm finding more information out there than i can possibly digest any time soon.

Picked up the guitar for the first time last year at 60.  Why did i wait so long???  I took a year of one-on-one instruction and decided to go solo for a while with the L&M series.  No regrets.  Loving the videos, the bonus tracks, and bonus materials.  

I'm on a wonderful journey!!

• Like 5

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

welcome Zeus.. 64 years young here and always learning something new. Don't forget..as you progress one must buy new gear.. I have more guitars than I can play but its addicting! Wait until you meet our "Gibson REP" for LM.. he has more Gibsons than I ever saw one person have.. and all so beautiful.. Maybe he will share some photos of what he has.. 

• Member ID:  1,275
  • Content Count:  8

I hear ya!  One year and I already have 3 and working a DIY guitar as number 4. 

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6

@zeus7625 and @Jess010101  Welcome to our Forum and Guitar Gathering family! Great to here from you about your guitar learning journey so far. Feel free to ask questions, keep us up to date on your progress and join us for Live Lessons (see link above) most Tuesday nights. All the best, Neil

Edited by NeilES335
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• NeilES335 unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,523
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/16/1974

It's January 3rd and I'm playing Jingle Bells with the band on the Jam Along CD like it's still December. Neighbours hammering on the wall.

Still frantically plucking away at the strings, I turn my head and shout: "Christmas isn't over until I've got this, you know!" ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Member ID:  72
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

YGG.. that was great made me and my wife laugh out loud .. How right you are!  

1 hour ago, columbo said:

YGG.. that was great made me and my wife laugh out loud .. How right you are!  

Ha ha! You've got to be able to laugh at yourself now and then. Was listening to my playing and couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the neighbours. They're actually very nice people and I haven't received any complaints (yet).

I finally nailed the fast version of Jingle Bells without any mistakes, and just in time for bed, too. I think I'm ready for session 3 now. Ooh, scary... ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,139
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Everyone,

I'm about a week and a half into session 2 and I have started to find that I play better when I play at 65bpm than 60.  Although I know that hitting notes quickly is important to make music more fluid, I don't want to just become a "fast" player (I know I'm only on session 2 of a very long journey).  I wasn't sure if anyone had a similar problem or if this was something I shouldn't worry about right now?

15 hours ago, costancr said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm about a week and a half into session 2 and I have started to find that I play better when I play at 65bpm than 60.  Although I know that hitting notes quickly is important to make music more fluid, I don't want to just become a "fast" player (I know I'm only on session 2 of a very long journey).  I wasn't sure if anyone had a similar problem or if this was something I shouldn't worry about right now?

Don't worry about that. If playing at 65 bpm feels more comfortable - or natural - to you than 60, I say: good for you! I certainly wouldn't categorize it as a "problem". I encourage you to just keep practicing regularly. I'm sure that what may seem strange to you at this stage, will seem natural later on.

I'm currently working my way through session 4, but it hasn't been that long since I was doing the exercises in session 2, where you are now. I remember how tricky it was to learn the first three to six notes. Now, my fingers react instinctively when I play the notes on the first four strings. I need some more repetitions before I can say the same thing about the notes on the fifth and sixth string, but I'm confident that these notes will feel as natural to play as the notes on the first four strings if I just keep at it. It's really true what they say: practice does the trick. Good luck with your endeavours! ?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,268
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  08/09/1958

On 2/17/2019 at 9:20 PM, costancr said:

Hello Everyone,

YGG. I have found this to be true on alot of practices. I actually have to make myself slow down. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  1,268
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  08/09/1958

Just now, David Sopp said:

YGG. I have found this to be true on alot of practices. I actually have to make myself slow down. 

That is part of the journey, Not only learn by practicing but also learn how to practice. The 3 p's is a term I used to hear often when I was over at Gibson's Learn and master  Patience, Practice, Persistence. And another I heard a lot From John Wells. Lotsa Luck 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

• Member ID:  1,925

Hello everybody. I am new on the forum.
I am on session 2 on the course. And I'm having 2 small problems.

1. I cannot stretch the fingers so that each finger covers its fret. So, for example, let's say I play 2 notes on one string (does not matter what string). The first note pressing down on the first fret and the second note on the forth fret. After I play the first note by using the first finger, then, in order to play the second note, I lift the first finger, I make a small movement with the hand, and then I press down with the forth finger. That is because I cannot have both fingers above the corresponding frets at the same time and then to just lift one finger and press with the other. Is this ok or should I somehow try to stretch the finger so that each covers its own fret? Because I don't know if I'll be able to do that.

2. I'm having difficulties with the chords C and G7. I do not know why these where the first chords that are thought in the lessons because I think they are kind of hard. Especially for a beginner. I can form the chords correctly. But it takes a while and I do need to look a bit on the guitar to make sure I press on the correct strings. But no way I can use my finger tips for all fingers. Especially on the G7 chord. I kind of use the side of my finger tips because I have the fingers rotated a bit (they are not perpendicular on the guitar neck). How did you learn this chords? Also, in order to go to the next session we should be able to play the songs using this 2 chords on 90 beats per minute. I don't thing I'll be able to transition between this 2 chords this fast any time soon. Right now when I switch between the chords most times I position the fingers on the correct strings but then I kind of go and readjust each finger so that it does not touch other strings. So it takes a while to go from one chord to the other. Any advice?

Thank you

@zeve  Hello, zeve, and welcome to the course and the forum! It's great to see someone new join in.

What you are experiencing is entirely normal. Everyone goes through this. At this early stage, you are asking your fingers to move in strange, unfamiliar, and unnatural ways. They don't know how (yet), so they tend to revert to their more familiar and comfortable positions. Regard them as toddlers learning to walk. Approximations, misses, buzzes are all fine for now. Stretch, rest, and stretch some more. Stop if it hurts. Come back to it later. Your fingertips will toughen up. Do not place a time frame or deadline on any particular skill. Go slow, get it as close as you can, repeat, repeat, repeat, and it will come.

Do not be concerned if you can not land a full C or G7 chord at this stage; Steve is merely making you aware of what a chord is like, and a chord only requires three notes.

If at all possible, find a teacher who can encourage you and help you develop good technique and practice habits. You don't want to practice mistakes. If that's not possible, absorb as much of the collected wisdom of good teachers as you can. And everyone here on the discussion board is here to help you along the way!

• Like 2

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Playing guitar is a physical event, we all have different bodies and different flexibility. 

C and G7 first, Steve has said that he'd wished he hadn't put it first when he wrote the course, but with that said, 

Session 1 was designed to get you used to moving your hands as a group, since they're not used to moving like this.

Not necessarily to "master" these chords, you'll be playing them for a long time. (Hint C G and D seem to make up soooooo many songs)

You'll find many chords/notes are not always played with the tips of your fingers, 

You can adjust the neck of the guitar up like a classical player like Liona Boyd or sling it near your knees like Slash,, all is good.

Also angle of your hand will adjust up/down and left /right and can twist as well to reach the chords/notes. 

As a warm up start before playing,  put first finger down on first fret play note,  then 2nd on 2nd fret play note , 3rd of 3rd play note, 4th on 4th, play note. Leaving the prior finger on the fretboard.  

Don't need to be fast, don't force, but try.

Then move up to next string etc.

Over time you'll notice more chance of getting the notes as your hand stretches out

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6

Welcome zeve! Excellent advice already given by both Diane B and Doug! 

Take it slow, and it will come.  Don't worry about getting the chords to sound perfectly right now. It may take some time to get all the strings to ring clearly. Just practice forming each chord a few minutes at the beginning and/or end of your practice session. Soon you will hear it sounding better and better! Don't let the chord part hold you back though. For the first few sessions, the single notes are what the most emphasis should be on - once you are comfortable with those, then move on.

Again, welcome to the course and to the forum! Please let us know how its going!! :)

• Member ID:  1,925

Hello. Thank you for the advice. I'll keep practicing. There are moments when it seems I can form the 2 chords more easily but making the transition between them... That's another thing.

Anyway, I've seen that in these session Steve introduces the Staff notation. How to read a Staff and the notes on it. I'm only interested in learning to play the guitar for myself and my family, in a, let's say, good way. Not necessary perfect. I will try to play as good as I can but I'm not interested in playing in a band, on a concert or stuff like that. Having said that, I'm thinking that I can skip learning how to read a Staff and just learn how to read a guitar tablature and chord blocks so that I can later download songs online and learn them. What do you think? Am I going to have problems with other stuff down the road if I skip learning the musical notation and how to read a Staff?

Thank you

• Member ID:  5

3 hours ago, zeve said:

Hello. Thank you for the advice. I'll keep practicing. There are moments when it seems I can form the 2 chords more easily but making the transition between them... That's another thing.

Anyway, I've seen that in these session Steve introduces the Staff notation. How to read a Staff and the notes on it. I'm only interested in learning to play the guitar for myself and my family, in a, let's say, good way. Not necessary perfect. I will try to play as good as I can but I'm not interested in playing in a band, on a concert or stuff like that. Having said that, I'm thinking that I can skip learning how to read a Staff and just learn how to read a guitar tablature and chord blocks so that I can later download songs online and learn them. What do you think? Am I going to have problems with other stuff down the road if I skip learning the musical notation and how to read a Staff?

Thank you

@zeve.   Welcome to The Forum and to the learn and master guitar program.. While many people get by with just using tabalature ("tab") in the long run  you will find being able to read or at least basically understand notation, a valuable skill. Tab is not always correct or complete and does not convey things like the key the song is in or time signature and much more. 

Even if you're content to just learn simple 3 chord songs, its still well worth the effort and will make so much more available to you. 

@zeve  Your question comes up regularly as students start out in the course. Steve has addressed it several times here in the forum and on live lessons, and I’ll paraphrase: you can learn to play guitar without learning to read music notation. Tablature has its place, but it is a guitar-specific, limited vocabulary, language.

Tablature shows where, and sometimes when, to place the fingers, but it says nothing about why. With tablature, it is all but impossible to see how a bass line or melody moves, what kind of modulation may be taking place, or what intervals or chords are in use. These are in plain view when music is written on the staff, and from there you can often choose your fingerings.

Music notation is perhaps the most universally recognized printed language we have. It’s understood by singers, pianists, drummers, trumpet players, and violinists around the world. How tragic it would be to go through life and see nothing on a page of printed music but lines and dots.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,958
  • Content Count:  18
  • Birthday:  05/27/1981

Is it okay to upload a gpx file of the lessons here for others to use?  I find for me that it's helpful to use GuitarPro to play along with, since the tempo is more consistent than watching the video.  I have the Lesson Content and Bonus Workshop in 2 separate files with all of the exercises and songs put in with 2 measures separating each exercise.

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

1 hour ago, josev said:

Is it okay to upload a gpx file of the lessons here for others to use?

Thanks for this generous offer.  GuitarPro is a very useful learning tool and I'm sure a lot of members here would take you up on this.  I wish it was as easy as saying "Sure" but I'm not sure about the legal issues here.  L&MG is obviously copyrighted and there are licensing considerations.   Please don't upload any files yet.  I'm going to refer this one to Steve.

Thanks again.

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

@josev @matonanjin hey Josev. Ron is right.

Steve K is the author of LMG but Legacy holds the rights to it.

Steve is on record stating the real part is the DVD videos and not  the books that are free download pdfs.

Putting them in runable guitar profiles,  yup best to leave that choice to Steve.

As a secondary note @zeve just wants to learn to play but not the music note reading part.

We've had lots of discussions over the years about the merits of tab vs notes, 

Tabs have their place (which guitar pro helps create) even with some of the extensions that make tab more complete music structure for guitar players, 

Music notation is a complete package for all musicians to talk the same language. 

We know it's a lot of work to learn that language,  heck I'm still learning it after all these years.. but LMG is based on note reading. 

I believe it will be beneficial to learn the note reading /theory that LMG is based on.

Steve's the pro, he has never steered me/us wrong yet