• Birthday:  07/28/1966
  • Device:  Macintosh

LL2020 Greg Voros Facebook.jpg

Tuesday January 28th, 2020

Topic: Guitar Care & Maintenance with Greg Voros

7pm Central Time US

You can watch the lesson HERE.

Greg Voros: https://guitars.com/users/greg

Greg Voros, head of the world famous Gruhn Guitars repair department will stop by to answer your questions about guitar care and maintenance.

Greg has worked on instruments by some of the most influential guitarists and artists on the planet. He's been on the road with ZZTop, Willy Nelson, the Rolling Stones and more.

Ask your guitar care questions and we'll get Greg to answer them.

It's sure to be a great live lesson!
There will be music, laughs, giveaways and more.  I look forward to seeing you there!

Watch on our Guitar Gathering YouTube Channel HERE

- Steve 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966

Looking forward to tomorrow's live lesson.  Any questions for Greg about guitar care or repair?

- Steve

• Member ID:  2,011
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/13/1967

I live in Las Vegas which is VERY VERY dry and harsh on my acoustic guitar.  I bought a very good guitar and struggled with keeping it hydrated.  I keep it in the hard shell case that it came with and after a few years I noticed it wasn't enough as the frets were protruding and I noticed a two very small hairline cracks in one of the spaces between the frets.  Immediately, I began rehydrating it in a shower stall with an ultrasonic hydrator set at 55% (being monitored by two hygrometers).  It took months for it to rehydrate and now the frets are smooth again.  The small cracks have healed but can still be seen if you know where to look.  Since this incident I have purchased a better hydration pack system (3-pack) that goes in the sound hole and case when not being played.  However, I still give the guitar and case a nice hydration exposure on a regular weekly basis and it seems to have stopped the drying.  I am being careful not to over-hydrate the guitar.   Seems silly to have to explain all of this, but what is the optimal relative humidity that a guitar should be kept at?  Also, I have a newer electric guitar and will it fall to the same drying out that the acoustic fell susceptible to?  Would you recommend keeping the electric hydrated in the same manner to prevent the fretboard from drying out?

Sincerely,

Rob WilliamsIMG_1644.thumb.JPG.e9b2a9593e94e6122f2db09557c148ca.JPG

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,012
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Steve Krenz said:

Looking forward to tomorrow's live lesson.  Any questions for Greg about guitar care or repair?

- Steve

What is a good oil  to help preserve the wood on an acoustic guitar?

Anne

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

@Cathlabrob  Hi, Rob, and welcome to the forum! Humidity issues are a regular topic around here, and Greg will almost certainly cover the subject. Meanwhile, here's the thread with some potentially useful tips, links, and videos.

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

About 40-45% relative humidity is about right.

(Now there's a dedicated student... playing guitar in the shower😉🎸)

N

• Haha 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

11 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

About 40-45% relative humidity is about right.

(Now there's a dedicated student... playing guitar in the shower😉🎸)

N

I wanted to say that Neil!  You beat me to it😂

• Haha 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

Wow, that's some setup!   I agree with the 40-50% humidity levels for best results.  I have used various methods for humidity over the years.  I use Dampits and MusicNomad's products with distilled water currently.  I hang the Nomad in the soundhole and lay a Dampit up at the headstock and refresh weekly.  I do run home humdification in the mid 30-45% range when outdoor temperatures allow.  I also run a Vornado water humidifier in the guitar room at night when temps are at their lowest.

I like to watch the value of hydration in a 2-part Taylor video using just Dampits.  Here's Part 1:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=2ahUKEwiA1_Xx_6bnAhWHLc0KHTsSA2IQtwIwBHoECAoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtB8tELj43RE&usg=AOvVaw0ZDMvZWOUyMuG6jA1gNJPW

Desert conditions are a different world for me altogether.  I would investigate one of the "humidified cases" for individual guitars in your world if only to get a better "spot on your shower card"! 😉 

Good luck,

Bryan

• Like 1

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6

On 1/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, Cathlabrob said:

I live in Las Vegas which is VERY VERY dry and harsh on my acoustic guitar.  I bought a very good guitar and struggled with keeping it hydrated.  I keep it in the hard shell case that it came with and after a few years I noticed it wasn't enough as the frets were protruding and I noticed a two very small hairline cracks in one of the spaces between the frets.  Immediately, I began rehydrating it in a shower stall with an ultrasonic hydrator set at 55% (being monitored by two hygrometers).  It took months for it to rehydrate and now the frets are smooth again.  The small cracks have healed but can still be seen if you know where to look.  Since this incident I have purchased a better hydration pack system (3-pack) that goes in the sound hole and case when not being played.  However, I still give the guitar and case a nice hydration exposure on a regular weekly basis and it seems to have stopped the drying.  I am being careful not to over-hydrate the guitar.   Seems silly to have to explain all of this, but what is the optimal relative humidity that a guitar should be kept at?  Also, I have a newer electric guitar and will it fall to the same drying out that the acoustic fell susceptible to?  Would you recommend keeping the electric hydrated in the same manner to prevent the fretboard from drying out?

Sincerely,

Rob Williams

Hey Rob! 

I'm just over the mountain from you in Pahrump! 

It is very very dry here. I have had the same struggle with humidity.  I thought about those humidified cabinets but when I saw the prices.... well those are out of budget. I resisted at first getting a room humidifier, but ended up with a small inexpensive one.  So my current setup is: a humidifier in my office/music room, my instruments in a cabinet from Ikea, with some aqua stones (little ceramic globes that sits in its own bowl of water, along with a few containers with wet sponges. It was a bit of trial and error to get it to where I needed (45-50%), but I've finally got it! Well, at least for now, lol!  

• Like 1