• Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

you ever had one of those Opps.. 

I knew I was going to Las Vegas and I was to be going to the CES show, I knew there are guitar stores down there and I remembered that one of the biggest guitar stores (and biggest blow hards) was Ed Roman's Guitar store, 

I keep Googling it and I'd see reviews on "this has to be the biggest store I've ever seen".. so I planned a "me" day and summoned my Lyft ride and  scooted over. 

we pulled up to an industrial unit.. and a sign just said Roman's Custom Guitars .. looked all 'boarded' up , I walked up to the door, and in blurry writing on the paper said.. if the door is locked call this number. Thinking the place is closed and how could this be "the biggest store I've seen" when there isn't a sole insight.

someone answered and I said is the store or the just the custom shop... they said this is it, we'll let you in.

I was stunned.. two room show room.. with quite a few guitars, and I was it.. the only customer in the shop. stunned I was.

so Scott explained to me that this was it.. they're a custom shop with 5 guitar builders, the stuff that was on the walls are pre-built units just incase someone comes in and says .. I need a guitar now.. but all they're stuff is custom made to order for the player.

and if I wanted to play something.. I'd have to ask ,, and Oh by the way.. Guitar Center is down the street.. 

I chatted with Scott and what I thought my skill level was, and what country I was from.. sort of hoping that would ease things.

finally I asked him to take down a Strat styled guitar.. he told me a story that it was on consignment as the war vet ordered it but couldn't play when he returned. it has a piezo pickup under the bridge, Seymour Duncan single coil size humbuckers that can be split, oiled body and ebony fret board. 

when he was getting ready to turn the amp on. I said.. "I usually play unplugged to start".. He's like.. I like that attitude. 

I played for a bit and brought it to the counter where he cleaned it and we chatted a bit more before my Lyft ride came to whisk me away.

wasn't a couple of days back home, I went back onto Roman's web site a read the 'rant' on there about how they hated "tire kickers" coming in and saying what a great store and banged on a few guitars and left without buying anything.. so they closed the store and stuck to a appointments only custom shop.

Oppps.. I had no appointment.. showed up unannounced, they let me play one of their guitars (they were willing to hand me anything I wanted to try) which I wasn't going to buy (could have possibly, but wasn't ) so I was that "tire kicker" . 

Oh well .. 

if all I can say is Thanks Scott and Bob at Roman's Custom Guitars. and if any of you want a hand built guitar.. these guy's could probably build you an nice one.

on a final note .,. found out that Ed Roman passed away a few years back so.. don't ask for Ed.

20200109_101142.jpg

20200109_101147.jpg

20200109_104628.jpg

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH
words
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,077
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

A bit of a niche market for sure... goes to show you you can't always trust the Google reviews or rants...  N

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,056
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  150
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

I guess I should have "re-visited" the site as I would have seen it's a closed appointment only custom shop now. 

http://romanguitars.com/

• Like 1