• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Everyone,
    I'm trying to decide if the Song Hits is right for me. I like most of the included titles but can't seem to find out if play-along backing tracks are included. Some comments I've read criticized the product because they said Steve was playing over the accompaniment rendering it substantially useless if you wanted to learn the song and then jam to a backing track. Other comments seemed to suggest that the book didn't match the instruction and/or the full song was not taught.  So, I'm interested in your experiences with this and specifically with regards to playing the song with a backing track.... included or not?

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by mPasGamer

• Member ID:  1,953
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Birthday:  01/13/1960
  • Device:  Windows

Yes they are included, ten discs.

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

7 hours ago, mPasGamer said:

Hi Everyone,
    I'm trying to decide if the Song Hits is right for me. I like most of the included titles but can't seem to find out if play-along backing tracks are included. Some comments I've read criticized the product because they said Steve was playing over the accompaniment rendering it substantially useless if you wanted to learn the song and then jam to a backing track. Other comments seemed to suggest that the book didn't match the instruction and/or the full song was not taught.  So, I'm interested in your experiences with this and specifically with regards to playing the song with a backing track.... included or not?

Thanks in advance! 

I have the Song HIts full package. I'd say overall this is a very well produced course, with excellent video (the latest one is in HD quality) and sound. While the course is intended to accompany the Learn and Master Guitar course, on a Session by session basis of difficulty, I personally found the songs didn't always align perfectly with the course session number. The songs star out with pretty easy 3 or 4 chord strumming songs, that will buid your confidence, ability to change chords and your rythm. I tended to practice and learn the songs I liked as I was able to play them, and skip the one's I didnt care for.  Towards the end of the sessions on SH, the jazz tunes are quite difficult, and these are a "goback someday soon- work in progress" for me (even though I've "finished" LMG.)  Learning and playing songs is the ultimate goal after all, so If you're looking to do that, then I'd say the Song Hits is well worth it.  

Happy Tunes; Neil

• Member ID:  1,965

Thanks Neil E. Are there backing tracks with each song where Steve is not playing and we can play-along?

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@mPasGamer  I had to check to be sure, but, no -- the Song Hits set is comprised of 10 DVDs. Each has an introduction, an instruction, and a performance section by Steve. You can, of course, play along with Steve. By definition, on a backing track someone is playing something. But there are no "jam-along" CDs like those found in the L&M Guitar Course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

9 minutes ago, mPasGamer said:

Thanks Neil E. Are there backing tracks with each song where Steve is not playing and we can play-along?

Each song session includes an introduction by Steve on the history of the song (many are very interesting) and Instruction Section, and a Performance Section (where Steve plays the song over his own backing track) So there is no "backing track" per se with just rythm guitar, bass and drums, or  bass and drums alone.   ( I've been told there were some copywrite issues doing this).  You could probably find these on line if you felt you needed them. 

N

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Steve has written the songs and sometimes have put them in a more guitar friendly key.

He doesn't give you the 3rd verse, and he tends to skip the solo in the songs as they are usually much harder, 

He gives you "the meat and potatoes " of the song.

Trust me you skip a solo in a song playing live, most people would never notice. 

As for backing tracks , I'm working Day Tripper,  You Got It and Taken Care of Business from song Hits I loop the "real" song and play with it, 

Nutt'n like playing with Randy Bachman and Fred Turner ; while Take'n Care of Business 

Edited by Eracer_Team-DougH

• Member ID:  1,965

Thanks DianeB... that's exactly what I needed to know! 
What are neighbors for??? 😁

• Like 1