• Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

I’ve noticed over the years that members have asked about when to start the fingerstyle course.The answers always seemed to be about the same, after session 10 or when you can play barre chords. I am beginning to think that you can start anytime. There is plenty of material that you can play that doesn’t require barre chords. It just seems to that it would help in gaining hand dexterity. There are also many interesting exercises that would help you in the main course. Session 3 for example has you spending more time on 3rds 6ths and 10ths. It also has 3 or 4 songs, one of which is Steve’s arraignment of Blackbird.

• Member ID:  1,955
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/01/1950

@Triple-o Reading your post got me to thinking.  It seems the first song that I learned (~1974), and that I could play all the way through was played fingerstyle.  "The House of the Rising Sun", a song I had grown quite fond of during the time the version by The Animals was getting considerable air time on AM radio during my teen years.  The picking pattern was something I took to like the proverbial duck to water,  Thumb picks the chord's bass note and then the fingers (32123) picked the treble strings.  I don't remember how I came to know which key to play it in.  But it called for chords that were all within reach of my limited ability - Am, C, D, E, and F - with a 6/8 time signature, a modest tempo, and each chord filling a bar this worked out very nicely for the rank beginner I was at the time.  I don't remember, but I would guess that most if not all these chords had to be learned as I was only just starting guitar.  If that is the case than it is this song that I would give credit to for knowing those chords to this day. It is particularly suitable for play on a classical guitar.  As I've a lead sheet for the song I'll post it here and leave it to those interested to transpose as they see fit. 

As far as when to start anything I'm inclined to respond that there is no better time then now to expand your repertoire with songs of your own choosing.

The House Of The Rising Sun.pdf

Edited by Ning
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  1,648
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/03/1961

Thanks both of you for your input on this question. It's a timely nudge. I was about to move on to lesson 5 when the retail holiday scene required a lot more hours at work. I've played just enough to "swim in place" for a few months. Today I'm back to the routine. (He says.) I planned on ordering the fingerstyle course  when I was well into Canon in D. However, thanks to Steve's including that F chord in session 3 I'm fine with all the chords up to and including sesson 8. The open chords were fairly painless and I mainly learned them for a quick foundation enroute to barre chords. I was WORRIED about barre chords.

It turns out that for me the "magical chord forest" is like the Hotel California. I can check out any time I like, but I can never leave. Nor do i want to. :-)

I'll see how the chord sessions go with an eye toward playing around in session 10 and maybe ordering fingerstyle. I'd prefer to be comfortable with fingerstyle before the blues course too.  But I just ordered the Song Hits, so who knows? It'll be fun and a lot of work regardless. So it goes.

Rock On!