• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/01/1950

Justin Sandercoe (Justinguitar.com) a right-handed guitar player and instructor with 35 years experience documents using his own course to learn to play left handed.

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/nitsuj-lesson-1-practice

It was a couple weeks ago when I first came across this link.  My first thought was that "Nitsuj" was some sort of eastern martial arts training philosophy applied to learning guitar.  Today I let my curiosity follow the link and learned it was something else entirely.  For perhaps the first time ever we see documented learning guitar with all its pain and warts, something that would likely be reassuring to the beginner that he is not alone and everyone goes through this.  For the rest of us we'll find more than an occasional chuckle as Justin bemoans the pain in his finger tips. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

2 hours ago, Ning said:

Justin Sandercoe (Justinguitar.com) a right-handed guitar player and instructor with 35 years experience documents using his own course to learn to play left handed.

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/nitsuj-lesson-1-practice

It was a couple weeks ago when I first came across this link.  My first thought was that "Nitsuj" was some sort of eastern martial arts training philosophy applied to learning guitar.  Today I let my curiosity follow the link and learned it was something else entirely.  For perhaps the first time ever we see documented learning guitar with all its pain and warts, something that would likely be reassuring to the beginner that he is not alone and everyone goes through this.  For the rest of us we'll find more than an occasional chuckle as Justin bemoans the pain in his finger tips. 

"Nitsuj" ..."Justin" backwards... I think he'll find it harder than he thought... most of us are hard wired left or right handed, so he'll be rewiring his brain at the same time... on the other hand (pun intended) he knows the chord shapes already so he'll have an advantage there.  Reminds me of when I was 13 and learning my first "cowboy" chords and the finger pain.. Like the song says; practised on the back porch until my fingers bled. 🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6
  • Device:  Macintosh

Interesting! I'll have to take a look at that! 

When I first wanted to start learning, I wasn't sure whether to try left or right handed. I was left handed until I had a bad break to my left arm in grade school. Being in a bulky cast for three months was no excuse according to my teachers (and parents) to not do my schoolwork. So I learned to write with my right hand. And do a good portion of daily tasks too.  End result - I don't know if I'm left or right handed, lol!  I do different things different ways.  Writing - right, eating - left, guitar - right, miniature golf - left, bowling... apparently neither I'm equally bad no matter what I try, lol!

When I started guitar, I sat in the music store for a while trying both left and right handed guitars. Neither felt particularly awkward, but I thought right handed was just maybe a bit more comfortable. And the guy in the store said if i had no real preference, there would be more inventory to choose from on the right handed side. 

I think this will be quite interesting to watch!! Thanks for posting it! :) 

• Like 3

• Member ID:  295
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

The thought of trying to do this boggles my mind! But good for Justin, for trying to see how his course will work out for left handers. Thanks Ning for posting it. It is very interesting.

Edited by Alice
wanted to add to it