• Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

A few years ago I bought the Hal Leonard Real Book. It has some interesting songs and the melodies are fairly simple. At the time I knew they were called Jazz Standards and that was confusing.  I thought Jazz was supposed to be difficult and here were about two hundred Jazz Standards that were pretty easy to play. It wasn’t until I  played around in session 18 did I get a better idea of what one did with these beginner melodies. Now, I realize that these “Real Book Songs”  along with the exercise “Swing’n” in session 18 are actually called lead sheets. 

I will never look at Autumn Leaves the same again, especially now that I have been looking at a 13 page arrangement based on that 1 page lead sheet.

I just got “The Real  blues Book” and just browsing through it for a few minutes I already have a dozen questions, but at least I know I am looking at Lead Sheets.

Edited by Triple-o