• Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

If you're one of those persistant students who has "finished the course", you are obviously very committed to your guitar journey, and becoming a bona fide musician.

For myself, as I indicated in another post recently, it really feels like a starting line vs. a finish line.  "Ok...so now what?" 

So, I (and I think others) would be interested to know... What have you moved onto now? Learning songs? Another learning structured  program similar to LMG? Individual private  lessons? Picking up 'stuff' from YouTube?  Are you now playing in a band or have a solo gig, or hope to?  Do you have an end goal in mind as to where you'd like to be in a certain time?

How about sharing some of your experience? I think there are those that would really appreciate it. I know I would. 

Kindest Regards; Neil

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101
  • Device:  iPhone

Hi Neil,

As far as I can tell, only few of the people who finished L&M are still active on this forum. I do hope that @Texaspackerfan and @ShadowBoxer86 share their stories on how they progressed as well.

It's about 15 months now since I completed lesson 20, and I did struggle with the same question on what to do next. I decided to take a deep dive into the blues and started the L&M Blues Guitar and Griff Hamlin's "Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0" courses. I finished those over the past months, together with some additional Classic Rock and other blues related lesson series. 

The biggest satisfaction now comes from being able to play complete songs. I can't sing, I am not in a band, and my fingerstyle skills are very limited. That is why I am looking for instrumentals that I can play by myself with a pick, and want build a small repertoire of that kind of songs.

What I do experience lately is an increased speed in learning. Songs that, in the past, would have taken me a long time to learn, now only take a couple of days. So that's cool.

Although I am not gigging, I do like to share some of my music on soundcloud. It's always rewarding to know there are people listening to my music and even willing to write a comment.

I still plan to start Steve's fingerstyle course soon. Fingerstyle is just one of those fundamentals that is still missing in my skillset and that I really want to learn. So I am quite happy with what my left hand can do, but not so much yet with what my right hand can 🙂 

Wim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6

@Wim VD1 Thanks for your insight Wim.  As you say, some of those "graduates" have tended to move on and aren't so active here now, but are very welcome.

I've been thinking about "what now"... I do much better when I focus on a structured program, so I'm drawn to some other courses like you did (for me Truefire; Frank Vignola's " Jazz Studio" , or Sandra Sherman's "Guitarversum" on YouTube, for example).  As my main interest has always been learning jazz guitar, (especially solo and chord melody arrangements ala my "guitar heros" Joe Pass, Wes Montomery) I'm going to work in that direction, while learning simple "Jazz Standards" arrangements. 

I wish Steve K would put out a "Jazz Course" as a follow up to the Fretboard Workout - Jazz Chords. These are beautifully produced. A combination of instruction and learning songs (like in the Song Hits) would be really great. I would buy that in a heartbeat (are you seeing this Steve? 🙂 )

Meanwhile I had collected a couple of good study and song books on Jazz guitar. I'd like to improve my soloing skills so I'm going to start on the highly recommended "Jazz Guitar 1" and other books by Jamey Aebersold.  And then there are a few "left overs" from the LMG course, or points that could be improved too...We'll see where it goes!

Kindest Regars; N

• Like 2

• Member ID:  67
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  13

Hi Neil, and Wim.

Ditto @Wim VD1. When I finished the course I did ask the same question, now what. It was a long road for me but I did have some experience before starting his course so I was filing in a lot gaps. I still use it for reference from time to time.  I thought of taking his blues class but for me I seem to improvise and learn blues pretty fast. I struggled improvising in country music for some reason. this past year I've spent some time on chicken pickin and that's what I have been study. Im not even close to where I need to be but I know with PPP (patience, perseverance, and practice) I will get there. In this part of my surroundings is all country based so the need to play country is a must, mix with blues.

I was playing a weekly gig at the local pub but it since went under. But now we have a BBQ joint that wants live music so I am trying to get a band together to play some Saturday nights. So ive got to some how handle learning new concepts as well as new material for the singer that wants to do, really its not that hard to play most of the songs he wants to play. but I love a challenge. 

Well, I guess folks out there studying Steve's course hang in there and take one step at a time. learning to play what you love isn't easy but nothing is. hang in there, you can achieve your goals what they may be. 

As Wim said, Lets see where it goes from here.

Danny

P.S. here is a pick of my new axe.

IMG_1273.jpg

Edited by Texaspackerfan
  • Like 3

• Member ID:  17
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  3
  • Device:  Windows

Hi Wim, 

I think I posted this before somewhere , but time flies and I don't remember where.  I don't post much because it takes away from practice time even though I lurk around here every day. 

As far as the main L & M course goes I started that when I turned 60 and finished the complete course in about 18 months.  My only previous guitar knowledge was a few cowboy chords some friends showed me in college.  School and later work took all of my time.  I like to stay focused on just a few things at one time so I can finish them so next I did the Blues Spot Light course over a 6 month period.  Next I did the Fingerstyle Course, which took about 12 to 14 months to complete.  That was the hardest, but also the best one.  Steve sent me 2 classical music books, which really helped me learn where to put my fingers on the fret board over the next year and during that time I also completed the L & M The Song Hits.  Recently I completed the 100 Rock Lessons Goldmine.  That took a good 6 months or so.  I really wished that kind of course was done by Steve.  I need to see video as well, not just the sound clips that came with it.  In all of these courses I would search on line to get more info on each topic that was covered to get a better understanding of each lesson and practice songs that demonstrated those topics.  Currently I am working on the 100 Blues Lessons from Goldmine.  As my studies have progressed I am able to learn new topics and songs much quicker.  Now at 65 things just seem to flow easier and seem more natural all over the fretboard.  I have also read many other guitar theory and technique books recommended by Steve.  I'll list the ones I remember:

Pumping Nylon, Desi Serna's 2 volumes of Fretboard Theory, Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar (ok this one baffled me, but I will go through it again when I start the 100 Jazz Lessons book), Edly's Music Theory for Practical People (this one is more my level LOL) and multiple music books I picked up from Steve and multiple Song Lesson DVDs from Hal Leonard as well.

Since I still work full time 6 days a week, my playing time is at night when I get home, after I take a 10 minute nap (for an hour).  I can usually practice until around 11:30 and as Steve says, I only practice on days that I eat.  No band or playing partners, just me and ear buds so I don't bother anyone.  It would probably help me more than anything else now to play with others, but I don't have that kind of free time at the present.  I am sure others in our guitar family have had similar experiences and probably play a whole lot better than I do.  GH

Edited by ShadowBoxer86
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6

11 hours ago, ShadowBoxer86 said:

Hi Wim, 

I think I posted this before somewhere , but time flies and I don't remember where.  I don't post much because it takes away from practice time even though I lurk around here every day. 

As far as the main L & M course goes I started that when I turned 60 and finished the complete course in about 18 months.  My only previous guitar knowledge was a few cowboy chords some friends showed me in college.  School and later work took all of my time.  I like to stay focused on just a few things at one time so I can finish them so next I did the Blues Spot Light course over a 6 month period.  Next I did the Fingerstyle Course, which took about 12 to 14 months to complete.  That was the hardest, but also the best one.  Steve sent me 2 classical music books, which really helped me learn where to put my fingers on the fret board over the next year and during that time I also completed the L & M The Song Hits.  Recently I completed the 100 Rock Lessons Goldmine.  That took a good 6 months or so.  I really wished that kind of course was done by Steve.  I need to see video as well, not just the sound clips that came with it.  In all of these courses I would search on line to get more info on each topic that was covered to get a better understanding of each lesson and practice songs that demonstrated those topics.  Currently I am working on the 100 Blues Lessons from Goldmine.  As my studies have progressed I am able to learn new topics and songs much quicker.  Now at 65 things just seem to flow easier and seem more natural all over the fretboard.  I have also read many other guitar theory and technique books recommended by Steve.  I'll list the ones I remember:

Pumping Nylon, Desi Serna's 2 volumes of Fretboard Theory, Creative Chord Substitution for Jazz Guitar (ok this one baffled me, but I will go through it again when I start the 100 Jazz Lessons book), Edly's Music Theory for Practical People (this one is more my level LOL) and multiple music books I picked up from Steve and multiple Song Lesson DVDs from Hal Leonard as well.

Since I still work full time 6 days a week, my playing time is at night when I get home, after I take a 10 minute nap (for an hour).  I can usually practice until around 11:30 and as Steve says, I only practice on days that I eat.  No band or playing partners, just me and ear buds so I don't bother anyone.  It would probably help me more than anything else now to play with others, but I don't have that kind of free time at the present.  I am sure others in our guitar family have had similar experiences and probably play a whole lot better than I do.  GH

Woah...you have been busy🎸👌. More to my point after 'finishing' the course is more like a end of the beginning. I'm sure you've become an excellent player through all this hard work and study.

All the best ; Neil

• Like 1