• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/11/1954

Steve or Anyone please answer?

I am new to this forum and have been studying the L& M Finger style Guitar. I am on lesson 5 which is taking a long time.

>

I am still trying to get my finger nails at the perfect  length and shape. As it's understood that fat tones come from pushing the fingers against the strings so the nails make contact. Any thoughts on finger nail shape. Something to make them grow and make them harder.

>

I am a little confused on the angle of fingers with respect to the strings. As some classical guitarist like Scott Tennant show the placement of the hand at angle respecting the strings. The angle seems almost 45 degrees. Some other classical and finger style guitarist seem the hold the right hand at a right angle  or perpendicular to the strings. I actually file my finger nails at a bit of an angle with a little ramp on them.   I like the right hand at an angle myself.

>

In playing a song like Cello Suite in C I notice Steve picks with thumb and fingers on different parts of the arrangement.  Can I use what ever fingering works for me

>

Also: Do I have to preform every bit of music perfectly before I move on to the next lesson?

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

Charles, I'm glad @Randy120 gave you the link and you made it over here from the L&M forum.  You may be one of the last ones.  Did you turn out the lights?9_9  

I'm confident you'll get more answers here than you would of at the old place.  Welcome!

• Member ID:  292
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/23/1958

5 hours ago, Charles said:

Steve or Anyone please answer?

I am new to this forum and have been studying the L& M Finger style Guitar. I am on lesson 5 which is taking a long time.

>

I am still trying to get my finger nails at the perfect  length and shape. As it's understood that fat tones come from pushing the fingers against the strings so the nails make contact. Any thoughts on finger nail shape. Something to make them grow and make them harder.

>

I am a little confused on the angle of fingers with respect to the strings. As some classical guitarist like Scott Tennant show the placement of the hand at angle respecting the strings. The angle seems almost 45 degrees. Some other classical and finger style guitarist seem the hold the right hand at a right angle  or perpendicular to the strings. I actually file my finger nails at a bit of an angle with a little ramp on them.   I like the right hand at an angle myself.

>

In playing a song like Cello Suite in C I notice Steve picks with thumb and fingers on different parts of the arrangement.  Can I use what ever fingering works for me

>

Also: Do I have to preform every bit of music perfectly before I move on to the next lesson?

Thanks for the post. Was thinking to ask similar questions specifically to include fingernail shapes.