• Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963
  • Device:  iPhone

hi everyone

I have always had a very difficult time learning scales on the guitar whether they be pentatonic or otherwise.

I get dyslexic and really can't remember the patterns beyond a day or two or sometimes a moment or two.

I know that is part of the reason that i stopped doing this course right in session 17

so how is this going to be different this time around? 

I need to rely on my ear more and the knowledge that I do have.

I have to use my English as a Second Language class for another analogy:

Today I had my adult students working in pairs asking each other a simple question. "How do you help at home" now this question was on a paper and on the paper were various answers like "Sweep the floor" "Cook Dinner" etc. So once they practiced for a little while I called them up to the front of the class and had them reenact these conversations. Well it's the funniest thing: when they have the paper in front of them it's like they lose their mind and they are just not able to do it. They constantly are looking at the paper mis pronouncing words or losing their place. So, today I said "Leave your paper on your desk"...they all get nervous BUT  you can't believe how much better they do without it. It sounds more authentic like a real conversation should be and they make less mistakes. Because the bottom line is they do know it but they aren't using their minds with the papers they are simply using their reading skills which may or may not be as advanced as their thinking skills. ....does this make any sense? lol

so "HOW ON EARTH MARIA" does this apply to music and session 17 in particular. Well every time i have approached learning the scales in the past I have relied so much on trying to memorize the patterns and hitting the right fret etc but not REALLY listening or watching my fingers. So yeah listening that's a big one that I need to practice cause isn't it about the music after all? But the watching my fingers is another story. ******after my long winded preamble here is the TRICK**** : If i can't remember the pattern and which fret to jump to on the next string. well i just find it on the string I'm on and then I locate that by ear on the next string!! it's been working every time. Now I'm not a prisoner to what the patterns LOOK like. I'm using my prior knowledge of skipping half or whole steps on one string and that helps me when i jump to the next string and my EAR tells me that yes the note one fret or two frets away on the first string sounds like or doesn't sound like the one I hit on the target string!!! woo hooo...

I'm sure someone else has figured this out but I figured I would share my thoughts!! 

Take care and please let me know if you find any relevance to my musings!!

Maria

• Thanks 1