Interesting phenomenon about re learning !!

sleepingangel

• Member ID:  98
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963
  • Device:  iPhone

I have been teaching adults how to speak English through a state funded program for the last 5 plus years and  until about two years ago it was only two nights a week but then I got offered 4 days on top of that and since it’s not a full day as I get home by 2ish I can still get to my other job in plenty of time.  in the past until my dad died in April it afforded me the opportunity to spend time with him and even take him here or there etc 

now I’m trying to fill the time with positive things:   sure I am catching up on laundry and the house but I also decided some or most of the time between my jobs will be devoted to Music since I never had that time before and also since I’m still very much in mourning over the loss of both of my parents within the last 5 years  

anyway I always tell my students who have had to repeat my class that when they get to a part in their workbook that has already been filled out by them the prior year that they should re do the work in their notebook because they are not the same person or student they were from the year before.  That whether they realize it or not they have grown and they probably have learned a little more than they thought they did and most of the time they’re going to answer the questions in a different way and most likely get them right where they may have gotten them wrong in the past.

So I’ve decided that advice is perfect for me as I re approach these lessons.  I know that it’s going to be hard getting back to where I was but I also know there is something to be said for muscle memory and also that I’ve been doing music with other instruments and those instruments (like the dulcimer ) have helped me in my musical ability and journey !!

just thought I would share that and also something funny I’ve noticed : I don’t  remember struggling with this way back in 2011-15 when I was still working through the lesson book but darn the font is really small In almost  2020 !! 🤪lol 

ha ha I am going to work tomorrow and enlarge this particular page for sure lol

Maria 

5A7503EA-3444-484D-8890-C3CFDBCC6259.jpeg

• Like 3

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

This is so true Maria. I often go back to the early lesson in the LMG course and play through the exercises and songs again, even if they look somewhat elementary now. I found that even those that were difficult at the time are now quite easy, but occasionally I find something I could do better. So you're right, you do grow even if you don't think so. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

Great advice Maria! It is a good way to make sure that you really do know something as opposed to just thinking that you know it. 

I see you have a Daisy Rock amp. Do you have any of their guitars? I do, I find them easier to play as the necks are just right for me.

To anyone with small hands reading this Daisy Rock guitars are "Schecter in a skirt " and are made especially for people with small hands, these guitars also weigh less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutty 1 said:

Great advice Maria! It is a good way to make sure that you really do know something as opposed to just thinking that you know it. 

I see you have a Daisy Rock amp. Do you have any of their guitars? I do, I find them easier to play as the necks are just right for me.

To anyone with small hands reading this Daisy Rock guitars are "Schecter in a skirt " and are made especially for people with small hands, these guitars also weigh less.

Hi 

yes just last night with my low level night class I decided to review the alphabet and vowels etc. like right back to the beginning and I told the higher lever folks that it will benefit them as well. I told them they have to figure out what they  know before they  learn what they don’t know. And it actually showed me some weak spots that they have with some of the letters etc 

I explained to them that the alphabet is the building blocks of the language and as I was saying this I thought Of the session 17 scales I’m trying to learn and realizing that these are the building blocks of music and also  my “what I don’t know” but all the little successes I’m feeling as I relearn are what I do know. And I bet that’s why going back to the beginning even if I zip through some of the early chapters will be the key for my success in this program !!

anyway I do have one daisy rock guitar but it was a close out sale bought on a whim and I’m actually looking to sell it cheap. I think the action might be a tad high but don’t really have the knowledge or the money to invest in fixing it since it was a “bargain”. 
Take care 

Maria 

Edited by sleepingangel
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

This is so true Maria. I often go back to the early lesson in the LMG course and play through the exercises and songs again, even if they look somewhat elementary now. I found that even those that were difficult at the time are now quite easy, but occasionally I find something I could do better. So you're right, you do grow even if you don't think so. 

Exactly. That is why I’m going to try and plow through session 17 through 20 and then go back to the beginning. So I will consider this a “first visit” through these later chapters but saying in the Arnold Schwarzenegger voice “I’LL BE BACK!” 
Maria 

Edited by sleepingangel
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  223
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

20 hours ago, sleepingangel said:

I have been teaching adults how to speak English through a state funded program for the last 5 plus years and  until about two years ago it was only two nights a week but then I got offered 4 days on top of that and since it’s not a full day as I get home by 2ish I can still get to my other job in plenty of time.  in the past until my dad died in April it afforded me the opportunity to spend time with him and even take him here or there etc 

now I’m trying to fill the time with positive things:   sure I am catching up on laundry and the house but I also decided some or most of the time between my jobs will be devoted to Music since I never had that time before and also since I’m still very much in mourning over the loss of both of my parents within the last 5 years  

anyway I always tell my students who have had to repeat my class that when they get to a part in their workbook that has already been filled out by them the prior year that they should re do the work in their notebook because they are not the same person or student they were from the year before.  That whether they realize it or not they have grown and they probably have learned a little more than they thought they did and most of the time they’re going to answer the questions in a different way and most likely get them right where they may have gotten them wrong in the past.

So I’ve decided that advice is perfect for me as I re approach these lessons.  I know that it’s going to be hard getting back to where I was but I also know there is something to be said for muscle memory and also that I’ve been doing music with other instruments and those instruments (like the dulcimer ) have helped me in my musical ability and journey !!

just thought I would share that and also something funny I’ve noticed : I don’t  remember struggling with this way back in 2011-15 when I was still working through the lesson book but darn the font is really small In almost  2020 !! 🤪lol 

ha ha I am going to work tomorrow and enlarge this particular page for sure lol

Maria 

5A7503EA-3444-484D-8890-C3CFDBCC6259.jpeg

Strange you should bring this up. Just the other day I was going through my music books  and reading comments I made. I was surprised that on viewing the notes I wrote years ago most were incorrect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triple-o said:

Strange you should bring this up. Just the other day I was going through my music books  and reading comments I made. I was surprised that on viewing the notes I wrote years ago most were incorrect.

wow that is something!! :) enjoy the ride!

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

12 hours ago, sleepingangel said:

Exactly. That is why I’m going to try and plow through session 17 through 20 and then go back to the beginning. So I will consider this a “first visit” through these later chapters but saying in the Arnold Schwarzenegger voice “I’LL BE BACK!” 
Maria 

Maria; I think you'll find S18 >S20 may take more time than you can imagine right now... I'd strongly recommend you go through all the Fretboard Workout series as well (if you haven't already done so) , especially the Jazz Fretboard Workout, before tackling S18. This will take a while too, but make the S18 much easier. From there on, you are much more on your own than earlier sessions, which can lead you to many other resources and tangents. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NeilES335 said:

Maria; I think you'll find S18 >S20 may take more time than you can imagine right now... I'd strongly recommend you go through all the Fretboard Workout series as well (if you haven't already done so) , especially the Jazz Fretboard Workout, before tackling S18. This will take a while too, but make the S18 much easier. From there on, you are much more on your own than earlier sessions, which can lead you to many other resources and tangents. 

Okay maybe i will get through 17 and then go back to the beginning and then see about your recommendations. Thanks so much 

Maria 

• Like 1