• Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

I was playing around with a song I down loaded from Musicnotes. A fingerstyle version of Red River Valley that’s not too difficult. It’s in the key of C with a I IV V progression. When it gets to the IV chord directly below the F there is a C .1 and a line going across the Top of the measure.The only notes in the measure start with the open F chord (or Fmaj9) then the single notes F  A. The arrangement also has tablature below and it matches the chord and notes. The music is written with a double voicing and the first voicing for this measure would be the notes G F A. The G being part of the Fmaj9 chord. I’ ve never seen this voicing for Fmaj9 before.

”Oh how lonely and how dreary it will be” if I don’t get a response.”  I guess I never knew the lyrics to this 1800 era song that has gone by many names, for example “ In the Bright Mohawk Valley”

Edited by Triple-o

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

@Triple-o  We mustn't leave you feeling lonely and dreary! A full Fmaj9 is, of course, F-A-C-E-G (1-3-5-7-9), requiring a minimum of root (F), major third (A), major seventh (E), and major ninth (G) intervals. The fifth is often absent. If the seventh is absent, then technically we have an Fadd9 (or Fadd2). In the G-F-A voicing/inversion you cite, I suspect that's just a consequence of the way the voicings are moving in the melody at that beat.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Sadly @DianeB I never studied the theory that closely. 

After 43yrs of certification study for work, my brain seems to freeze up now, thinking theory. 

Glad we got you and a few others  , too bad Cindy doesn't hang around any more, she had theory mastered

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  223
  • Followers:  0

On 11/16/2019 at 8:28 PM, DianeB said:

@Triple-o  We mustn't leave you feeling lonely and dreary! A full Fmaj9 is, of course, F-A-C-E-G (1-3-5-7-9), requiring a minimum of root (F), major third (A), major seventh (E), and major ninth (G) intervals. The fifth is often absent. If the seventh is absent, then technically we have an Fadd9 (or Fadd2). In the G-F-A voicing/inversion you cite, I suspect that's just a consequence of the way the voicings are moving in the melody at that beat.

Thanks, It’s the  Fadd9  the song is using. 

Immediately below  the  F In the rhythm is a C.1.Any thoughts on the meaning of C.1

I used the term double voicing and that term may not be correct. In the Song Hits song Satin Doll, Steve uses the same music notation in the intro of that song.Its that  fingerstyle style notation that  I am referring too. It has nothing to do with the C.1 

I probably couldn’t have made my first post more confusing.

Edited by Triple-o

On 11/17/2019 at 7:59 AM, Triple-o said:

Thanks, It’s the  Fadd9  the song is using. 

Immediately below  the  F In the rhythm is a C.1.Any thoughts on the meaning of C.1

I used the term double voicing and that term may not be correct. In the Song Hits song Satin Doll, Steve uses the same music notation and its that style of notation that  I am referring too. It has nothing to do with the C.1

I probably couldn’t have made my first post more confusing.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the C.1 is a reference to the chorus section.

Edited by Triple-o

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953

On 11/18/2019 at 9:12 AM, Triple-o said:

Ohhh. That was really ambiguous without context.

I thought the C1 was in respect to the location of the note/cord to the octave it was in, 

https://www.liveabout.com/pitch-notation-and-octave-naming-2701389

On 11/19/2019 at 7:27 PM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

I thought the C1 was in respect to the location of the note/cord to the octave it was in, 

https://www.liveabout.com/pitch-notation-and-octave-naming-2701389

I have seen C1 used for that purpose, but only at piano sites.When I looked at numerous pages of piano sheet music I still only found symbols like 8 vb, 8 va 15 ma and 15mb. So, I am not sure if the piano octaves C0 C2 C3 etc.ever actually show up on piano sheet music.

I figured out my C1 and it’s a classical guitar notation meaning a full barre chord 1st Fret. The line I mentioned indicates all the notes below the line can be played while holding that barre chord.

C as in “capotasto”or C as in “ cejillo” 

Edited by Triple-o

On 11/19/2019 at 1:05 PM, DianeB said:

Ohhh. That was really ambiguous without context.

I was wrong about it having anything to do with the chorus section. I looked at numerous versions of the song and placing any chorus section at that point makes no sense. 

It’s a classical notation telling you to use a  full barre chord 1st fret.

Edited by Triple-o

On 11/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, Triple-o said:

My conclusion about it pertaining to the chorus section was wrong. It’s a classical notation for the type of barre chord to use. I had thought that the C might indicated a capo, but since this C was at the 7 measure I disregarded it meaning a capo. I had also thought about C for Chico, but since it didn’t involve the use of my pinky finger I discarded  that meaning. I have a few classical books and none mentioned this C1.
This morning I took my amp to this out of the way music store to be fixed. There were books and sheet music laying all around on the floor. It looked like “tornado” hit the place. One classical book caught my eye, classical guitar by Charles Duncan. I couldn’t believe my eyes when  I opened the book it was book three and the first page started on barre chords and there was C1.

My other classical books use B, French for barre and not C   Italian for capotasto. They also used Roman numerals like B IV  meaning barre 4th fret. 

C1 full barre, first fret.

Edited by Triple-o

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  155
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

On 11/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

....too bad Cindy doesn't hang around any more, she had theory mastered

All I will say is I'm not a big fan of censorship when it isn't warranted. I used to have a much higher post count here than the 140ish listed so I don't know where many of my posts/responses went. But to have content deleted and not be notified isn't sitting well with me. I always tried to give detailed music theory info, but now I have no idea how much of that might have been removed. The previous forums weren't run this way. 

While I have your attention, Doug, I will wish you a Merry Christmas. Take care.

@Cindy I'll send ya an email 

• Thanks 2

• Member ID:  4
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  490
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  65
  • Device:  Windows

3 hours ago, Cindy said:

All I will say is I'm not a big fan of censorship when it isn't warranted. I used to have a much higher post count here than the 140ish listed so I don't know where many of my posts/responses went. But to have content deleted and not be notified isn't sitting well with me. I always tried to give detailed music theory info, but now I have no idea how much of that might have been removed. The previous forums weren't run this way. 

While I have your attention, Doug, I will wish you a Merry Christmas. Take care.

@Cindy - I don't believe it is a matter of censorship. However, I do agree with you - posts should not be deleted. I think these decisions have been made with resources, storage space, etc. in mind. I will let the moderators weigh in on the subject.

• Thanks 1

I cannot even picture the description - is there any way you can post a pic to show what it looks like?

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

On 12/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, Cindy said:

Cindy,  I can only speak for myself officially.  But I feel confident @NeilES335 and @DianeB concur.  None of us are fans of unwarranted censorship.  I have not deleted one of your posts.  I can think of no reason Neil or Diane would have.  Looking at the activity log there is your post in this thread and the one Sunday regarding file sharing site at Yahoo.  These are the first posts of yours since March.  Those two in March are the first since May of last year.

You were so very active at the old site and are a valuable resource, especially when it comes to theory.  Ask Doug said, " too bad Cindy doesn't hang around any more, she had theory mastered".  When I saw these posts this week, I thought to myself that I was hopeful that you would become active again.  And I hope that you do.

4 hours ago, matonanjin said:

You were so very active at the old site and are a valuable resource, especially when it comes to theory.  Ask Doug said, " too bad Cindy doesn't hang around any more, she had theory mastered".  When I saw these posts this week, I thought to myself that I was hopeful that you would become active again.  And I hope that you do.

I was VERY active here at the beginning since I was a Beta tester. I kept watch of the leader board but couldn't pass Doug's high post count! Maybe some of the beta test posts were deleted? All I know is I was WELL beyond the 140ish mark within those first few months.

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

@Cindy, I won't pretend to know what happened to those posts.  Maybe there was a protocol in place that deleted posts from the Beta period.  I don't remember hearing of such policy.  I have several items to discuss with @Steve Krenz and I'll bring this up.  We plan to chat after the 1st. 

I hope this won't deter you from becoming active here again.  Your input is valued especially, as others have mentioned, your knowledge about theory.  That's an area I need a LOT of help with.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:14 AM, matonanjin said:

@Cindy, I won't pretend to know what happened to those posts.  Maybe there was a protocol in place that deleted posts from the Beta period.  I don't remember hearing of such policy.  I have several items to discuss with @Steve Krenz and I'll bring this up.  We plan to chat after the 1st. 

I hope this won't deter you from becoming active here again.  Your input is valued especially, as others have mentioned, your knowledge about theory.  That's an area I need a LOT of help with.

Thanks kindly. 

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Administrators
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  115
  • Birthday:  07/28/1966

Hey Cindy and all,

I'm not sure what happened to any posts missing that you are referring to.

We have only had to delete a handful of posts (none of yours) in the past two years of this whole board. 

Having said that, I would not be surprised that occasionally posts go missing due to various IT reasons due to updating the board or various admin updates.  There are new updates to the software of the board about every couple of months.

I routinely do them, not wanting the board to get out of updates like the Legacy board.  But I would not be surprised if we occasionally lose data from those updates or something else unseen on the backend computer/server side of the equation.

So, no censorship going on, just data loss I suspect.

Regarding your post count, the system does that and I would not be surprised at all if the post count was not as accurate as it should be. 

Hope this answers some questions.

We certainly value your input and wisdom and incredible support over the many years.

You're one of the great parts of our guitar family.

- Steve

• Like 2