how many times can I start again? !! Session 17 here I come!

sleepingangel

• Member ID:  98
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963
  • Device:  iPhone

Just now, Wim VD1 said:

@sleepingangel,

Maria, when it comes to learning the major scales, I think it is better to start with Steve's Major Scale Mastery Fredboard Workouts.

These will teach you most of what you need to know about major scales.

The 3 notes per string scales from Session 17, are some additional patterns with the same notes from the major scale, that are also interesting to learn, but more as basis for fast legato playing (with hammer-ons and pull-offs)

Wim.

hey there well while that may be true. I have it in my head to plow through the book and maybe when I'm done and after the do the book over (*as i want to refresh everything) I will invest in yet another course! I also have the blues and fingerstyle courses that I've yet to delve too much into. I have a love hate relationship with scales so I need to ease into it...my true love is fingerstyle although I know in my heart that just as the alphabet is the building blocks of English that the scales are the building blocks of music and that it will only benefit me to learn them in whatever style i play!!

Maria

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

My condolences to you for the loss of your father.

You can do it. Play slow and gentle. It is good physical and mental therapy.

Have fun!

7 minutes ago, Randy120 said:

My condolences to you for the loss of your father.

You can do it. Play slow and gentle. It is good physical and mental therapy.

Have fun!

ah Randy nice to see you!

thank you so much for your condolences. It's still really tough....Monday is going to be very difficult. I have to go to the closing on the sale of his house. So that will be it. It's been hard having the house empty but this will be hard letting it go too...

Take care and thanks for encouragement!

Maria

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

Again, welcome back Maria. 

And Happy Birthday!!!

3 hours ago, matonanjin said:

Again, welcome back Maria. 

And Happy Birthday!!!

Thanks so much! I'm so happy to be back and playing guitar again!!

Maria

On 11/21/2019 at 4:25 PM, Wim VD1 said:

@sleepingangel,

Maria, when it comes to learning the major scales, I think it is better to start with Steve's Major Scale Mastery Fredboard Workouts.

These will teach you most of what you need to know about major scales.

The 3 notes per string scales from Session 17, are some additional patterns with the same notes from the major scale, that are also interesting to learn, but more as basis for fast legato playing (with hammer-ons and pull-offs)

Wim.

just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and I've bought the two Major Scale Mastery courses you recommended. I just downloaded the pdf's and I'm going to print them and begin!! Thank you (I took advantage of the black Friday discount so that was cool and good timing)

Take care

Maria

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101

16 hours ago, sleepingangel said:

just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and I've bought the two Major Scale Mastery courses you recommended. I just downloaded the pdf's and I'm going to print them and begin!! Thank you (I took advantage of the black Friday discount so that was cool and good timing)

Take care

Maria

Hi Maria,

I am sure you will not regret that purchase.

if you make practicing major scales part of your daily routine, you will notice pretty soon that your fingers start finding the notes of a melody more easily.

Take care,

Wim.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 4:52 PM, Wim VD1 said:

Hi Maria,

I am sure you will not regret that purchase.

if you make practicing major scales part of your daily routine, you will notice pretty soon that your fingers start finding the notes of a melody more easily.

Take care,

Wim.

so I am already thrilled and feeling like I can do this finally. WHAT a well produced mini lesson. I started last night. I just went through all the first level paper. You know getting my fingers used to this again. AND I have found that what I thought was never learned or completely forgotten actually is there in my brain and fingers and I'm starting to get muscle memory. 

TODAY I HAD A snow day  ( i don't get paid if I don't teach but they cancelled classes as we have quite a bit of snow here) I literally spent the better part of the day practicing and doing the first complete lesson. I mean I know that i pushed it and I will go back and practice every day BUT I wanted to see if I could keep up. I can tell you that I was able to do everything along with STeve except for the faster speeds with the 3rds. The 3rds are keeping me on my toes BUT i stopped the video several times until i could do it. I know that is my challenge for now. So I won't embark on the rest of it (mastery 2) until as STeve says in the video I have the memorized. THat will be the challenge too as for now I am relying on the tab somewhat...or for the most part is more like it lol!! 

Thanks again. Great recommendation!

Maria

• Like 2

• Member ID:  636
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/25/1962
  • Device:  Macintosh

I've been long absent as well. Over the last few years, my wife's had two cancer scares, I lost my job and was out of work for 6 months (you'd think I'd have some time for guitar, but not really), we lost my dad in February and it looked like mom wasn't going to make it through the end of the year. My wife's doing great, I've been back to work for almost a year and mom's improving so my Stratocaster came out of the case and I've rebooted L&MG. Up to Session 4, taking my time, determined to make it all the way this time.

Glad to have found you all again.

Dan

Edited by dan0725

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

3 hours ago, dan0725 said:

I've been long absent as well. Over the last few years, my wife's had two cancer scares, I lost my job and was out of work for 6 months (you'd think I'd have some time for guitar, but not really), we lost my dad in February and it looked like mom wasn't going to make it through the end of the year. My wife's doing great, I've been back to work for almost a year and mom's improving so my Stratocaster came out of the case and I've rebooted L&MG. Up to Session 4, taking my time, determined to make it all the way this time.

Dan

@Dan0725 Welcome Back Dan! We're sorry to hear you've had a rough time lately but also glad you're wife, and mom are well now, you're dong better, and you're back here with your guitar 👍.  Learning guitar and Music is great therapy. Persevere with the LMG lessons and reach out if you need help and advice; there's always someone here to guide you if you need it.

All the Best; Neil 

ps Remember to join us on our YouTube channel most Tuesday nights at 7pm for Live Lessons. There's a schedule posted here on the site.

• Member ID:  295
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Maria,

I am slow to respond to this, but I am happy to see you back here on the forum and on the live lessons! I often wondered about you. I am sorry to hear about your dad, but it is nice that you were able to spend time with him in his last years. I had the same situation with my dad, and I treasure the time I had with him.

One of the great things about this guitar course, is that you CAN leave and come back, as I think many of us have done over the years! I find that with regular practicing, it doesn't take too long to get back to where I was when I left off. I also play other stringed instruments (mandolin, violin, ukulele), and I find that they help my guitar playing and vice versa. They complement each other somehow. Welcome back!

Mary, AKA Alice

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/4/2019 at 3:10 PM, dan0725 said:

Dan

I'm so sorry for all of your troubles. I'm happy you are getting back into it as well. I'm sorry for the loss of your dad too and for your wife's scares. Glad she is on the mend. 

I hope that 2020 is a better year for all of you. 

Maria

On 12/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, Alice said:

Hi Maria,

I am slow to respond to this, but I am happy to see you back here on the forum and on the live lessons! I often wondered about you. I am sorry to hear about your dad, but it is nice that you were able to spend time with him in his last years. I had the same situation with my dad, and I treasure the time I had with him.

One of the great things about this guitar course, is that you CAN leave and come back, as I think many of us have done over the years! I find that with regular practicing, it doesn't take too long to get back to where I was when I left off. I also play other stringed instruments (mandolin, violin, ukulele), and I find that they help my guitar playing and vice versa. They complement each other somehow. Welcome back!

Mary, AKA Alice

Thank you so much for your message and for the welcome back. I'm happy to be playing again and know that it will take time to get up to snuff as they say. But I do feel as you that the other instruments complement each other. 

Thank you again for your encouragement and your condolences for my dad. My condolences to you as well!

Happy New Year!

Maria

• Member ID:  636
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/25/1962
  • Device:  Macintosh

19 hours ago, sleepingangel said:

I'm so sorry for all of your troubles. I'm happy you are getting back into it as well. I'm sorry for the loss of your dad too and for your wife's scares. Glad she is on the mend. 

I hope that 2020 is a better year for all of you. 

Maria

Thank you, Maria. I hope so, too and for you as well.

Dan

• Like 1