how many times can I start again? !! Session 17 here I come!

sleepingangel

• Member ID:  98
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  11
  • Birthday:  11/26/1963
  • Device:  iPhone

hey everyone,

been a long time. Lots of stuff has happened....the good the bad and the ugly as they say...

well to jump right in I've had some setbacks with my guitar playing over the last 4 years. BUT right now I'm playing guitar again. I'm not gonna say without pain but that's just the way I think it's gonna be BUT the ruptured ligament surgery a year and a half a go was successful and now with time and a smaller bodies acoustic guitar I AM playing almost everyday again. 

I decided today that I am going to try in earnest (little by little) to finish the course that I began almost 9 years ago!! Yikes..I got all the way to session 17. IN fact it's still in the portable dvd player that I was using to learn !!

Other sad news is that my almost 94 year old dad passed away in April and it was kind of a surprise when he first wound up in the hospital but after 10 days the doctors had to give up and right before that he did as well. It was a lot of work cleaning out his house and it's in the process now of being sold. I miss him terribly. ( my mom passed almost 5 years ago so we got even closer)

I am working much more than when I first started this course. In fact I started the course when I was laid off....

Now I'm working 4 days and 2 nights teaching ESL. I've had the day job now for almost 2 years and the night job for 5. 

With my dad gone (he lived a few feet from me in another condo right across the path) I have some extra time that I didn't before. 

I've been trying to use it for positive things. Like music etc. 

I hope that i can continue to get better at the guitar ( i feel like I am and in a strange way due to playing different instruments when I couldn't play the guitar..... I have been playing the dulcimer when I am able and the ukulele. They were a little easier on my hand then the guitar. Now that I've picked up the guitar again I feel like my playing is better. My fingers still may miss some of the notes because of the closeness of them to each other but the other stuff is better. Like my musicality or something) 

so that's my story..... 

Thanks for not giving up on me. I know some of you from the live lessons which I try to attend when time permits. 
Take care 

Maria

IMG_3358.JPG

• Like 7

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

Welcome back @sleepingangel Maria! Very nice to hear from you.. 

My sincere condolences on your fathers passing... 

Music is great therapy at these times..so getting back to learning and playing is great idea👍

I hope we'll continue to read of your progress. Don' t forget to join us on Live Lessons too.

All the Best; Neil

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,395
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  34

@sleepingangel It is great to hear from you again Maria, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. My thoughts are with you.

I had to give up the course myself because of my osteoarthritis and I also now have trigger finger (one on each hand). Although I have a surgeon who agreed to operate on them the operations have had to be postponed due to another ongoing health problem. This means that I can only play guitar with the middle finger of my fretting hand locked but luckily I can strum chords in the key of G as long as I substitute B7 for Bm. 

I really admire your true grit Maria, and how your strong determination has pulled you through the bad times. You are an wonderful musician and you have a beautiful voice. I am so very glad that you are back playing again. 

I hope that your music will help you through this sad time and that your hands will soon become pain free.

Sending you lots of love 

Mandy xxx

Edited by Nutty 1
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  65
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/27/1946

Welcome back, we more mature folks understand the relationship between our guitars and goals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NeilES335 said:

Welcome back @sleepingangel Maria! Very nice to hear from you.. 

My sincere condolences on your fathers passing... 

Music is great therapy at these times..so getting back to learning and playing is great idea👍

I hope we'll continue to read of your progress. Don' t forget to join us on Live Lessons too.

All the Best; Neil

Thank you so much for the condolences and the welcome back. Hope you have been well!

Maria 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nutty 1 said:

@sleepingangel It is great to hear from you again Maria, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. My thoughts are with you.

I had to give up the course myself because of my osteoarthritis and I also now have trigger finger (one on each hand). Although I have a surgeon who agreed to operate on them the operations have had to be postponed due to another ongoing health problem. This means that I can only play guitar with the middle finger of my fretting hand locked but luckily I can strum chords in the key of G as long as I substitute B7 for Bm. 

I really admire your true grit Maria, and how your strong determination has pulled you through the bad times. You are an wonderful musician and you have a beautiful voice. I am so very glad that you are back playing again. 

I hope that your music will help you through this sad time and that your hands will soon become pain free.

Sending you lots of love 

Mandy xxx

Thank you so much for your kind words and well wishes. It’s great to be back amongst people like you 

good luck with your own hand probs 

Maria 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fray said:

Welcome back, we more mature folks understand the relationship between our guitars and goals.

Thanks for understanding!!

Maria 

• Member ID:  64
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  20
  • Device:  Macintosh

Hello Maria- Life goes on and we flow with the river as it winds its way through the countryside. Glad to see your back and that you are continuing the guitar journey. Take care.

Mike

• Like 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960

There is really no graduation at the end of LMG. Start stop retaking the sessions as needed.

That's the wonderful part of what Steve and Legacy gave us, 

At Session 17, it's a significant playing skill level and as you found out the more you play better the more you realize how much more there is to learn

I don't think I've come near master of any of the sessions before moving on, and I'm nowhere near session 17, as you know life seems to interfere and stop our progress. 

It was good you could spend time with your dad and he was so close to your place.

Maybe theres something he liked you could keep close by while you play.

My mom liked lighthouses had many decorations in her house. She never got to see my playing at even this level, but I always have a lighthouse near by while I play. I even bring one to chuch and sit it on the windowsill next to me as we play at Mass

• Like 1

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6

Welcome back Maria!! It is wonderful that you got to spend time with your Dad the past few years. 

Now that your hand is healed up, take care not to over exert! I haven't had much time to play my dulcimer between work, guitar, bass, and banjo, but I will get back to it! 

I've gotten sidetracked from the L&M course myself and need to get back to it. I'll probably backtrack a few sessions to 12 or 13 and review.  

Glad to see you back!! :)

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 2:02 AM, Popeye said:

Hello Maria- Life goes on and we flow with the river as it winds its way through the countryside. Glad to see your back and that you are continuing the guitar journey. Take care.

Mike

Thanks so much for the nice imagery and your welcome back!!

maria 

23 hours ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

There is really no graduation at the end of LMG. Start stop retaking the sessions as needed.

That's the wonderful part of what Steve and Legacy gave us, 

At Session 17, it's a significant playing skill level and as you found out the more you play better the more you realize how much more there is to learn

I don't think I've come near master of any of the sessions before moving on, and I'm nowhere near session 17, as you know life seems to interfere and stop our progress. 

It was good you could spend time with your dad and he was so close to your place.

Maybe theres something he liked you could keep close by while you play.

My mom liked lighthouses had many decorations in her house. She never got to see my playing at even this level, but I always have a lighthouse near by while I play. I even bring one to chuch and sit it on the windowsill next to me as we play at Mass

Thanks for the encroachment and also the nice advice. I do have a few things that remind me of him. He was  always wore caps not baseball but the old fashioned type and I have one right near my piano and of course he made me a few things out of wood as he was an excellent woodworker. So I use some of those or see them all the time. ; everything from a tissue and recipe holder to a 10 Native American Flute holder and even a selfie stick holder that I use ad a little tripod. So yes God is good and I have many reminders of his love for me. 
I know what you mean about the master part. I think for my sanity I am going to try and work through the last three that I simply just didn’t do and then fo back and start again. Im only doing some of the three note per string scales very slowly to get back into it. Glad my portable DVD player still works as it will be utilized for this endeavor. 
glad to be back 

Maria 

4 hours ago, K9kaos said:

Welcome back Maria!! It is wonderful that you got to spend time with your Dad the past few years. 

Now that your hand is healed up, take care not to over exert! I haven't had much time to play my dulcimer between work, guitar, bass, and banjo, but I will get back to it! 

I've gotten sidetracked from the L&M course myself and need to get back to it. I'll probably backtrack a few sessions to 12 or 13 and review.  

Hi Barbara (you have the distinction of being one of the first people that I got to join my Dulcimer group and it’s really crazy that we have like 2500 people there now.)

so nice to hear from you and thanks for the welcome back!!

and I will most likely start from the earlier chapters or even the beginning once I work through the last 3 and I’m sure there will be much flipping back to wale or units as I try to remember what I’ve forgotten!!

thanks again for the nice welcome back. It’s great to see so many familiar faces. 
Maria 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, K9kaos said:

And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!🎁 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  8
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  199
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, sleepingangel said:

And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!🎁 

Thank you Maria!! That is so sweet! :) 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  50
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Device:  Android

Good to see you back and playing guitar again.  I don't think we've ever personally communicated with each other but I do remember seeing your name a lot and I remember you made an album and I was impressed.  :)  Take your time getting back in the sessions and I hope you have fun again on the journey.  You will pick up quickly where you left off, I am sure. 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  332
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2

Definitely glad you are back at it !  We all go through phases of inactivity with the guitar playing. I'm in a slow period right now where I am not picking it up every day, but do still run through the pentatonic scales a few times during the week to keep them fresh. I get together and play with a friend every couple of weeks. I have over 18 guitars laying around the house, how can I forget to pick one up??? LOL

Its good seeing you out here again!  Take care of yourself and Vince!!

Dan Brown  

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101

Welcome back, Maria. I am happy to read that the angel is awake again 😀.

Wim.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:38 PM, Jusca said:

Good to see you back and playing guitar again.  I don't think we've ever personally communicated with each other but I do remember seeing your name a lot and I remember you made an album and I was impressed.  :) Take your time getting back in the sessions and I hope you have fun again on the journey.  You will pick up quickly where you left off, I am sure. 

awe that is so nice of you to remember me,. And thanks it sure is a journey and one I'm glad I'm back on!!

10 hours ago, Dan Brown said:

Definitely glad you are back at it !  We all go through phases of inactivity with the guitar playing. I'm in a slow period right now where I am not picking it up every day, but do still run through the pentatonic scales a few times during the week to keep them fresh. I get together and play with a friend every couple of weeks. I have over 18 guitars laying around the house, how can I forget to pick one up??? LOL

Dan Brown  

ah Dan!!
I'm so glad to hear from you! I was wondering and hoping your were still in this group! and I'm glad that you are playing,  And It's good that you are doing the scales..THAT is something I need to re visit ~~

Yes and you say hi to your lovely wife for me!

Maria

5 hours ago, Wim VD1 said:

Welcome back, Maria. I am happy to read that the angel is awake again 😀.

Wim.

that really made me laugh!! thank you~

Maria

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

On 11/19/2019 at 11:16 AM, Dan Brown said:

Dan Brown 

@Dan Brown was in the house!!!!!!!!!???!!!  Long time, Dan!  See you in a couple months.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  12
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  184
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948

Maria,

It is absolutely great to have you here with us. You always contribute value to the conversations and I'm looking forward to that continuing.  And......as somewhat official here😉 I will tell you there is no limit to the times you can restart.  That is fortunate for many of us, myself included!  Any of us that have been around here any length at all are familiar with the some of the setbacks you have had.  But you have always dusted yourself off and went back at it.  That says a lot about your character and determination

Keep us appraised of you progress.  It's taken a while but I'll be joining you soon in 17.  We will compare notes!

Ron

14 minutes ago, matonanjin said:

Maria,

It is absolutely great to have you here with us. You always contribute value to the conversations and I'm looking forward to that continuing.  And......as somewhat official here😉 I will tell you there is no limit to the times you can restart.  That is fortunate for many of us, myself included!  Any of us that have been around here any length at all are familiar with the some of the setbacks you have had.  But you have always dusted yourself off and went back at it.  That says a lot about your character and determination

Keep us appraised of you progress.  It's taken a while but I'll be joining you soon in 17.  We will compare notes!

Ron

It's so great to be back!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I know that I'm not "truly" at session 17 anymore as I have forgotten a lot but I am going to plow through and then go back to the beginning!!

Take care and thanks so much for all your kind words!!

Maria

• Member ID:  1,462
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  101

@sleepingangel,

Maria, when it comes to learning the major scales, I think it is better to start with Steve's Major Scale Mastery Fredboard Workouts.

These will teach you most of what you need to know about major scales.

The 3 notes per string scales from Session 17, are some additional patterns with the same notes from the major scale, that are also interesting to learn, but more as basis for fast legato playing (with hammer-ons and pull-offs)

Wim.

• Like 2