• Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

When you look at some older used acoustic guitars most seem to have humps behind the bridge and corresponding dips in front. When you lay a straight edge on the guitar top the hump becomes obvious. I was wondering if these humps and dips were telltale signs of a guitar that was on the verge of being unplayable or is a little hump a normal  reaction to string tension and age.

Does anyone have an older guitar, five to ten years or older, that was  expensive, two or  three thousand dollars or more new, does it have a hump? Just curious if expensive guitar have the same problem or if they have better bracing.

I guess this is why some guitars have a tail piece.to counter the string tension.

Edited by Triple-o
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64
  • Device:  Windows

@Triple-o I think the problem is caused by humidity. Low humidity dries out the guitar and the top sinks. High humidity makes a wet guitar that expands the top.  Bob Taylor has a series of videos about this and how the guitar is repaired. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  223
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  362
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  29
  • Device:  Macintosh

On 11/1/2019 at 6:35 PM, Randy120 said:

@Triple-o I think the problem is caused by humidity. Low humidity dries out the guitar and the top sinks. High humidity makes a wet guitar that expands the top.  Bob Taylor has a series of videos about this and how the guitar is repaired. 

Thanks , I was also under the impression guitar tops were perfectly flat. So I was assuming any hump behind the bridge was caused by string tension on the bridge. I guess the correct term is bridge belly and not “hump”.

Edited by Triple-o
  • Like 2