• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  09/19/1953

Hello peoples.  This is Randy and I think I've solved my guitar learning problem. At first I was hesitant to say anything because I didn't know whether it would work or not , but I was in love with the idea of playing the guitar but not the work part of learning. I was fooled by thinking I couldn't embrace the "suck" part of starting a new experience when I just plain didn't want to do the work. I finally pulled the trigger and signed up for some lessons, thinking I'd be accountable for doing the work.  Well, I'm starting my 3rd month with this guy and I'm doing pretty good for the shape I'm in,  being old and all that. (66) later this month. I'm picking up my guitars a lot more and working on stuff.  My plan is to stick with lessons until I can't afford them and then get back to LMG material, nothing wrong with this material, I just needed a little push to get juicy about learning again.  being right handed and playing left handed has posed a problem.  Strumming is awkward and holding a pick is hard but I'm convinced I'll work it out. Wish me luck.

• Like 2

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

@randyh1953  Hi Randy! Welcome back... Glad to hear you've re- commited to learning guitar. Having a good teacher live is a great idea. The LMG lessons should fit in very well with your private lessons. You could show this material to your teacher and he/she could support these lessons for later on when you a "self learning" ...  

As for "being old and all that..." well, hey there are  plenty of us "mature teenagers" here learning guitar, and having a blast doing so! The more you stretch and exercise "the little grey cells" the younger you stay! It's a fact! So dive right in an dont be afraid of "working" on it ... it pays big dividends in personal growth and enjoyment too.

All the Best! Neil

• Like 2

• Member ID:  112
  • Followers:  0

Neil, the instructor wasn't interested with my other studies and didn't even like the way we hold our pick so I'm letting that slide as much as I can but might cut him loose if he gets in to my new guitar money too much.  He's also pushing TAB on me so that's a strike or two on him. I'll see how many foul balls  he gets. ha ha

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166

4 hours ago, randyh1953 said:

Neil, the instructor wasn't interested with my other studies and didn't even like the way we hold our pick so I'm letting that slide as much as I can but might cut him loose if he gets in to my new guitar money too much.  He's also pushing TAB on me so that's a strike or two on him. I'll see how many foul balls  he gets. ha ha

@randyh1953 Although I've only taken about a  month  of private lessons collectively in my life from a guitar instructor, I think it's a good idea if you have the time and budget. I've heard it's not uncommon to try a couple (several?) for a month or so each to find the "right" one for you.. I've considered having some lessons to just assess were I am in the learning process after working on the LMG course for some years now. You'd be hard pressed to find better instruction I think. But there are dozens of different approaches to it, so I guess it's just a bit of trial and error  .

• Like 1

• Member ID:  9
  • Group:  Moderators
  • Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Achievement Points:  1
  • Days Won:  209
  • Birthday:  01/01/1953
  • Device:  Macintosh

@randyh1953 Randy, whether you should continue with your teacher or not depends mainly upon the relationship. Does your teacher inspire and challenge you? Does he, or she, respect your skill level and goals? Do you practice what you agree to work on? Do you bring specific questions to each session? Are your expectations realistic?

I offer this as one who’s now starting my sixth year of private lessons — the fourth with the same teacher — and also as one who has tutored my own students (in another discipline) for 30 years.

You don’t have to be friends. But a student and teacher do need to share a mutual love of learning for the subject, and the ability to communicate, to recognize what works and what doesn’t. When you have those, the monetary cost is practically trivial. I wish you success, but keep in mind that luck has almost nothing to do with it.

"Old and all that?" did you say? Ahem! Unless you were born in the first three minutes of 1953, I'm older than you! 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 4

• Member ID:  13
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  16
  • Birthday:  10/03/1947

Randy, only you will know how your instructor fits into your future plans. As in life, some people you will be able to bond with and others, not so much. The bottom line here is to keep moving forward with improving your skills as a guitarist while keeping the journey fun and fulfilling. As for me, I have yet to use an instructor. I am quite happy with the L & M program under Steve. I do have the advantage of having a very good player in our "garage band" who has taken me under his wing to help me with various aspects of song play.

Again, I repeat that this must be fun and right now, I'm loving it.

BTW, I'm 72 and have only been playing for four years.

Henk

• Like 1

• Member ID:  243
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  541
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  64

There is nothing wrong with taking lessons. You need to accept the fact that you will "suck" for a while. Playing guitar isn't easy. Practice slow to play fast. Learning guitar will help keep your mind young. 

For myself, I am not impressed with a teacher that focuses on TAB. Tab is ok, but it doesn't teach you much about music theory or practice. Tab isn't even a good guide to playing songs since so much of it is wrong. The Tab only instruction already shows the L&M Guitar course is significantly deeper than your instructor's program. Criticizing the way you hold your pick seems trivial also. Steve Krenz barely covers holding the pick. You will find your own best method for holding the pick as you continue to practice. The instruction might improve as you work with this teacher. They may be just trying to get you to move around the guitar at a beginners level which is part of the battle.

Good luck. Stay focused. Practice every day. Play like you mean it! 

• Like 3

I really appreciate the replies and I have been enlightened yet again about age and old references and I really shouldn't use my age as an excuse for not learning anything. I applaud Diane and Henk for their accomplishments and youthfulness, gives me hope.  FWI my 66th will occur on the 19th of this month and I'm doing pretty good for the shape I'm in. I'm losing weight, blood sugar's in check and getting better, and I'm learning to embrace the "suck".  Thank you, my friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Btw John Wells on this forum chimes in from time to time he's like 89... he'd call you a younglings

Yeah complaining about holding the pick.. well...

Practice every day, and if you're lucky enough to be retired,  practice more.

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

Learning music is a different journey for each personal. Sounds like you have put yourself on a rewarding path. Keep up the great work!

I certainly hope so, O.G.