• Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  177
  • Birthday:  07/19/1948
  • Device:  Windows

My wife and I had the fortune to see Josh Smith on the Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise-several times actually.  He is, according to more than one respected source I have seen, one of the greatest blues guitarists performing today.  And I agree. 

I was on the TC Electronics YT channel and this video popped up.  Yeah, I'm looking at pedals.  And I'm not sure why Josh's video came up. 

He talks about chord tone soloing the jazz way.  "A rock or a blues guy solos over the chords.  A jazz guy plays through the chords".  He goes into great length describing the difference.  And it's fascinating.  I perhaps understood 37% of it.🤔  Near the end he says "When I am soloing now I think about the next chord.  It's all I think about."

I hope to one day actually be able to utilize this.  And I hope you find this as interesting as I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  6
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  144
  • Birthday:  12/14/1960
  • Device:  iPhone

Yeah I really wish my budget would allow the Bonamassa Blues at Sea cruises. 

I can understand what he's saying,  but heck I'd like to play his " simple " stuff

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

Josh Smith is one of my favorite "new school" blues guys. If you enjoy his stuff, check out YouTube, and look up his jams at Winter NAMM 2019. I can watch those over and over, just soaking up his technique and licks.

He was also on a live stream on The Music Gear Network yesterday, and I got to interact with him a bit. What an awesome, humble guy.

Don't get his last record, "Burn to Grow", though, LOL. It's ummmm, not what I expected at all. Mostly slick R&B and very much unlike his live stuff. He is slated to release a new live record, which, according to some people I know that were there at the recording, is absolutely incredible and his most guitar centric record he ever did. Josh even said on that live stream, that people won't be complaining that he didn't play enough guitar on this record!

Here's the live stream if anyone is interested:

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,552
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/21/1973

36 minutes ago, Eracer_Team-DougH said:

I can understand what he's saying,  but heck I'd like to play his " simple " stuff

He has some courses on Truefire that are amazing. And not too complex. Seriously great stuff.

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Android

11 hours ago, matonanjin said:

My wife and I had the fortune to see Josh Smith on the Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea cruise-several times actually.  He is, according to more than one respected source I have seen, one of the greatest blues guitarists performing today.  And I agree. 

I was on the TC Electronics YT channel and this video popped up.  Yeah, I'm looking at pedals.  And I'm not sure why Josh's video came up. 

He talks about chord tone soloing the jazz way.  "A rock or a blues guy solos over the chords.  A jazz guy plays through the chords".  He goes into great length describing the difference.  And it's fascinating.  I perhaps understood 37% of it.🤔  Near the end he says "When I am soloing now I think about the next chord.  It's all I think about."

I hope to one day actually be able to utilize this.  And I hope you find this as interesting as I did.

This is an excellent explaination..