• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  0
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Android

I've been learning off and on for about 3 years. During that time I've bought a few dreadnought guitars. Now having been diagnosed with arthritis in the shoulder it is difficult for me to get my arm over the guitar comfortably. I can still play it but can not get my hand to lay flat on strings as if to palm mute the strings. My guitars are not expensive and am not looking to change that. I currently have a Fender CD60 and a Guild D140 I think is the model number lol. They both measure around 4 1/2 inches deep at the lower bout. Anyone know of any acoustic/electrics around 500 dollars or so that are a bit shallower? Hopefully I can find something because I do like the sound of an acoustic guitar. I do have electric guitars and have no problem with those. Thank you.

• Member ID:  5
  • Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  166
  • Device:  Windows

11 minutes ago, HuNu said:

I've been learning off and on for about 3 years. During that time I've bought a few dreadnought guitars. Now having been diagnosed with arthritis in the shoulder it is difficult for me to get my arm over the guitar comfortably. I can still play it but can not get my hand to lay flat on strings as if to palm mute the strings. My guitars are not expensive and am not looking to change that. I currently have a Fender CD60 and a Guild D140 I think is the model number lol. They both measure around 4 1/2 inches deep at the lower bout. Anyone know of any acoustic/electrics around 500 dollars or so that are a bit shallower? Hopefully I can find something because I do like the sound of an acoustic guitar. I do have electric guitars and have no problem with those. Thank you.

Welcome to the GG Forum HuNu!

I have a Godin Kingpin archtop guitar with a P90 pickup, that has a shallower body than the typical dreadnought. It's a superb instrument, great tone whether plugged in or not, and very comfortable to play. It should not hurt your shoulder to play it at all. It would cost about 500-600 USD .  There is a photo in this site Gallery.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  157
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/13/1955
  • Device:  iPhone

I've had two rotator cuff surgeries on my shoulders, so I understand smaller is better when it comes to acoustic guitars.  Dreads are in my rearview mirror and I've had good comfort with Taylor Grand Concert acoustic guitars.  I haven't played the Academy 12e guitars but reviews have them respectable values/quality for the price range you mention.  Watch for something used, if it were me.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  04/15/1950

image.jpeg.d442afd96301e1dc07f6a5aba3baecd2.jpeg

This Martin is acoustic electric, and 3" width. They come right handed  :D

Easier on the shoulders than a Dred.

Edited by Grog
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  401
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I recently found a Taylor GS-Mini on Craigslist.  I was really looking for a Dreadnought Jr but couldn't pass up the price.  Since then I have fallen in love.  It's smaller than my dreadnought and great for sitting in the recliner or traveling.  I go play once a week with some others.  It's much easier to lug along.

Doesn't sound like the full size but does sound respectable.  I think either the GS- Mini or Dreadnought Jr would be a good choice.  Both come in electric versions although $500 might be tough unless you are buying used.  I think non electric is about $500 new.  BTW the Mini is readied for a clip in pickup.  15 minute job and about $100 the best I remember.  Either one used on ebay should be under your budget.

The smaller size (shallower and shorter) reduces your reach too which I think also helps the shoulder.